Using Personal Amex (Australia) for business?

Old Jul 21, 20, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Using Personal Amex (Australia) for business?

I am the owner of a business. I already have a personal credit card. If I apply for a business amex card I am not eligible for the new member bonus qantas points. According to one online amex chat, I can have my manager apply for a business amex card and would be eligible for bonus points. Another online chart said only a director of the business can apply for a business amex card. If the later is true, can the manager apply for a normal amex card and only use it for business expenses. She has no intention of ever getting an amex card, but I will recompense her for potential bonuses she would miss out on if she eventually wants her own card.

I can add her to my personal card. She would then still be eligible for new member bonus if she chooses to get a card in the future. My book keeper however is not keen on that option. I'll double check with book keeper and accountant.
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:16 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by Beccie View Post
I am the owner of a business. I already have a personal credit card. If I apply for a business amex card I am not eligible for the new member bonus qantas points. According to one online amex chat, I can have my manager apply for a business amex card and would be eligible for bonus points. Another online chart said only a director of the business can apply for a business amex card. If the later is true, can the manager apply for a normal amex card and only use it for business expenses. She has no intention of ever getting an amex card, but I will recompense her for potential bonuses she would miss out on if she eventually wants her own card.

I can add her to my personal card. She would then still be eligible for new member bonus if she chooses to get a card in the future. My book keeper however is not keen on that option. I'll double check with book keeper and accountant.
Welcome to flyertalk! Why wouldn't you be eligible for the new member bonus on an Amex business card for a business that you own? When you ask about a "normal" amex card, do you mean a personal card? Asking a manager to apply for a personal Amex to use for all business expenses doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Old Jul 21, 20, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66 View Post
Welcome to flyertalk! Why wouldn't you be eligible for the new member bonus on an Amex business card for a business that you own? When you ask about a "normal" amex card, do you mean a personal card? Asking a manager to apply for a personal Amex to use for all business expenses doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Apparently not eligibe for bonus on business card if I have an active personal amex card

yes normal=personal

You are right. Having a card in her name as principle opens me up to financial risk. Ty for pointing that out. One less option on the list...

Last edited by mia; Jul 22, 20 at 5:07 am
Old Jul 22, 20, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beccie View Post

Why do you want a new card in another persons name for use in your business? That person will be taking all the financial risk.
Are you wanting to do this only for the QF bonus points on sign up? Hoping for QF points for you or the employee?
The bonus QF points will go the name of the card. Not to you.

Note to others: I assume this is for Australia. Rules can be different in other countries.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: