Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Am I entitled to a refund on my AmexTravel BA Flight.

Old Jul 20, 20, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat and Amex Plat benefits.

I have a flight coming up on 7/28 that I booked a while ago on BA through AmexTravel in J. One of my legs was cancelled a few weeks ago so I called amextravel and they put me on a new flight the same day. Now that we are getting closer to the flight it doesnt seem like going to the UK with a 14 day quarantine is a great idea so I called to try to get a refund they said I can only get a voucher since they put me on a new flight. Funny enough the same thing on another flight/ticket booked on BA directly and they insisted on refunding the whole flight instead of getting a voucher, when.I told Amex Travel this they told me thats because I booked direct and I should have. Am I being out of line for trying to get a refund or should I just get my voucher and just use it a later time when everything cools down.
Old Jul 20, 20, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amil View Post
I have a flight coming up on 7/28 that I booked a while ago on BA through AmexTravel in J. One of my legs was cancelled a few weeks ago so I called amextravel and they put me on a new flight the same day. Now that we are getting closer to the flight it doesn't seem like going to the UK with a 14 day quarantine is a great idea so I called to try to get a refund they said I can only get a voucher since they put me on a new flight. Funny enough the same thing on another flight/ticket booked on BA directly and they insisted on refunding the whole flight instead of getting a voucher, when.I told Amex Travel this they told me that's because I booked direct and I should have. Am I being out of line for trying to get a refund or should I just get my voucher and just use it a later time when everything cools down.
If the flight, or an alternative is flying, and_you chose_to cancel or reschedule then a refund or voucher as per the t&c's and/or any waivers is all you will get. If the t&c's do not allow a cash refund then that is the way it is.

It is always the pax responsibility to have the correct passport/visa/documentation:- that is not the airlines problem. With changing government requirements its a risk you take (not the airlines risk)

9 July 2020 --->
https://www.traveloffpath.com/uk-to-...ing-countries/
Old Jul 21, 20, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Amil View Post
Am I being out of line for trying to get a refund or should I just get my voucher and just use it a later time when everything cools down.
Yes, although the rationale provided by AMEX is incorrect.

When your flight was cancelled, that was involuntary change. You are entitled for a full refund.

But when you decide not to fly to the U.K., this is a voluntary change. So unless the current BA policy allows full refund (Note - I have not checked whether OP is qualified for one), the best a OTA, like AMEX, can do is credit for future travel.
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:31 am

Sounds like you had an involuntary change. So you are entitled to a full refund. You should have been offered the chance to approve the proposed new flight. If you were offered no such opportunity (i.e. they just changed your reservation to that flight) or you were asked and you declined, you still are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment. If Amex said something false/unlawful to you, i.e. misrepresenting your rights or governing laws/regulations, to induce you to "accept," surely your acceptance is invalid and hence you are still entitled to a refund. OTOH, if you knowingly and properly accepted the schedule change, then there would be no further basis for a refund.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the OP is a bit confusing, if the facts are as I read them, he is not entitled to a refund.
1. A segment of a ticket was cancelled. At that time, his EC 261/2004 Section 8 rebooking options were a refund or an accommodation. He apparently took the latter, presumably because he wanted to travel.
2. Now, the circumstances have changed because OP will face a 14-day quarantine on arrival into the UK. But, the flight he accepted as a rebooking is still operating.

If this is the case, he is not entitled to a refund because BA has not cancelled the rebooking he accepted. BA's special pandemic waiver policy does permit OP to voluntarily cancel and accept a credit against future travel. What EC 261/2004 does not do is give the passenger multiple options. E.g., cannot elect/accept rebooking and then later change his mind to a refund.

This would explain the difference between OP's two experiences. OP --- if I have this wrong factually, please advise.
MSPeconomist and Amil like this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat and Amex Plat benefits.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
While the OP is a bit confusing, if the facts are as I read them, he is not entitled to a refund.
1. A segment of a ticket was cancelled. At that time, his EC 261/2004 Section 8 rebooking options were a refund or an accommodation. He apparently took the latter, presumably because he wanted to travel.
2. Now, the circumstances have changed because OP will face a 14-day quarantine on arrival into the UK. But, the flight he accepted as a rebooking is still operating.

If this is the case, he is not entitled to a refund because BA has not cancelled the rebooking he accepted. BA's special pandemic waiver policy does permit OP to voluntarily cancel and accept a credit against future travel. What EC 261/2004 does not do is give the passenger multiple options. E.g., cannot elect/accept rebooking and then later change his mind to a refund.

This would explain the difference between OP's two experiences. OP --- if I have this wrong factually, please advise.
No you're right I'll just get the voucher. But the other BA ticketed ticket happened the same way one leg was cancelled I confirmed another flight and then later on they let me cancel it for a full refund without any fight or anything.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: