FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Will a single late (5 days) payment disqualify me for a Centurion Card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2021319-will-single-late-5-days-payment-disqualify-me-centurion-card.html)

newbie88 Jul 9, 2020 8:57 pm

Will a single late (5 days) payment disqualify me for a Centurion Card?

I just had a late payment which I paid by about 5 days. Does this basically disqualify me for a Centurion card?

paperwastage Jul 9, 2020 9:18 pm

crystal ball says maybe

if it's a non-amex card late payment, amex will probably not know (late payments only get reported to credit bureau after 30 late days, not after 5)

if it's an amex card late payment, amex will have that data point and use it somehow in their blackbox/hidden decision making process, that no one outside of amex is privy to

newbie88 Jul 9, 2020 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 32520862)
crystal ball says maybe

if it's a non-amex card late payment, amex will probably not know (late payments only get reported to credit bureau after 30 late days, not after 5)

if it's an amex card late payment, amex will have that data point and use it somehow in their blackbox/hidden decision making process, that no one outside of amex is privy to

Its an amex business card. The person I spoke to says "no, it won't be a disqualifying event so long as you meet the other criteria."

BugsyPal Jul 9, 2020 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32520869)
Its an amex business card. The person I spoke to says "no, it won't be a disqualifying event so long as you meet the other criteria."

If it was just an one off time being late, and accounts are otherwise in good standing shouldn't worry.

Five days falls under "stuff happens", and is no where nearly bad as >20 or even hitting thirty days.

mia Jul 10, 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32520869)
The person I spoke to says "no, it won't be a disqualifying event so long as you meet the other criteria."

Same person who gave you this misinformation?

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32496571)
I spoke to a Centurion rep recently and they stated that Amex was not currently issuing [Centurion] invites during this pandemic.

newbie88 Jul 10, 2020 7:57 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32521450)

Different person.

newbie88 Jul 10, 2020 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32521450)

@mia is this deal breaker?

LondonElite Jul 10, 2020 3:20 pm

No, it is not.

mia Jul 10, 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32522504)
....is this deal breaker?

Unlikely, however, a dishonored payment (bounced check) likely would be.

mtofell Jul 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Apples and Oranges but I had a late payment due to a lost check with ATT Universal and they were super cool about it. My wife was using the teaser rate for a loan and was sending a check (don't ask.... she still sends checks for everything for some reason). I caught it online before I got anything the mail and called immediately. The guy on the phone was great.... I think he could hear the panic in my voice. Normal payment was around $800 and I gave them 2K directly off my checking account. They waived all the fees and let me (my wife) keep the terms of the 0% interest. I don't have any experience with Amex but if you have a solid history I think banks are pretty forgiving.

GundamWing01 Jul 11, 2020 6:04 pm

OP, you should have created a better title for this thread. youre going to get confused responses or not receive the answers you seek. especially because this is about a very specific card.

newbie88 Jul 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01 (Post 32524895)
OP, you should have created a better title for this thread. youre going to get confused responses or not receive the answers you seek. especially because this is about a very specific card.

Thanks for the advice. I tried but it didn't take. How would I go about it?

mia Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32524924)
How would I go about it?

Only moderators can edit Thread Titles. I will change this one to more fully reflect the actual question,

newbie88 Jul 11, 2020 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 32524953)
Only moderators can edit Thread Titles. I will change this one to more fully reflect the actual question,

Thank you

GundamWing01 Jul 12, 2020 2:15 am

Originally Posted by newbie88 (Post 32524924)
Thanks for the advice. I tried but it didn't take. How would I go about it?

looks like mia changed it for you. now it will be easier to get input from other cent members. so what amount are we talking about here? looks like you participate in other cent threads so you already know about the very high spend req. did you miss a very large plat personal/biz payment? in the end, your entire account and relationship with amex is manually reviewed. meaning eyes on your account. they will look at your history over time and ability to pay or stay solvent. being late wont do you any favors, but its trivial compared to the millions in spend you will be doing. everything essentially comes down to a closed door black box boardroom circus. anything could happen and anything could be taken into consideration.