Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will a single late (5 days) payment disqualify me for a Centurion Card?

Will a single late (5 days) payment disqualify me for a Centurion Card?

Old Jul 12, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
looks like mia changed it for you. now it will be easier to get input from other cent members. so what amount are we talking about here? looks like you participate in other cent threads so you already know about the very high spend req. did you miss a very large plat personal/biz payment? in the end, your entire account and relationship with amex is manually reviewed. meaning eyes on your account. they will look at your history over time and ability to pay or stay solvent. being late wont do you any favors, but its trivial compared to the millions in spend you will be doing. everything essentially comes down to a closed door black box boardroom circus. anything could happen and anything could be taken into consideration.
No, it wasn't a large payment it was like $100 and was a card I rarely really use. Yes, I'm trying to get to the high spend requirement now as i got a few large purchases coming up.

Last edited by newbie88; Jul 12, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by newbie88
No, it wasn't a large payment it was like $100 and was a card I rarely really use. Yes, I'm trying to get to the high spend requirement now as i got a few large purchases coming up.
so the late payment wasnt even on the personal or biz plat? and only for $100? then im not sure why you were even worried. based on your flair, we are talking about the US cent card right? then you should be more focused on spend history besides your $100 late payment to a non-charge plat card. your "few large purchases coming up" cant be a one time thing. it has to be consistent over time. demonstrating real value to amex as a client. but of course, there are a few DP showing $10MM/mo in spend for only 2 months and still getting the invite. so its possible.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:12 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
so the late payment wasnt even on the personal or biz plat?.....
Is there some evidence that American Express ignores history on other cards?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
are you specifically referring to derogatory marks such as a late payments? or you mean spend history/activity? for derrogs, i wouldnt say amex "ignores". its just considered less important in relation to the totality of the account. there are so many other factors when under amex cent review. if youre late on $1MM payment, doesnt matter if its on plat or credit card like a cobrand, youre not doing yourself any favors. but $100? its too marginal to care. especially for a 5 day late payment. solvency is what matters to amex. thats why some could still get the cent even with terrible credit because of the spend and payment history alone. if youre pushing $10MM/mo in certain manufacturing or luxury categories and paying with legit global bank accounts or even wires, and the source of funds are not in question, amex is not going to care about a small late payment on any card. but ive heard amex definitely cares about BK even when pushing large sums and even BK was several years back. and getting a FR is certainly a no-go.

but when it comes to spend history, using the plat matters. the focus has always been on the plat cards. personal or biz. i assume its because the revenue structure is very different for amex when spend is done on plats. although not always the case in every scenario or in every amex issuing country. getting the amex cent is not a linear deal where you check certain criteria and you get it. getting the card is analogous to how certain laws are "applicable" to certain classes of wealth. meaning its YMMV. also, EU cents are supposedly "easier" to get, but the benefits are very different as well. maybe thats why US cent can transfer into EU cent, but not the other way.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Jul 12, 2020 at 5:15 pm
Old Jul 14, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mia
On strictly their charge cards, Amex seems to care more about internal information (on time payments, how account is managed...).

OTOH for credit cards or any of Amex's financing options such as 'pay over time"... then yes, Amex does look at overall credit score and history. This will likely happen when annual or some other event prompts a review and Amex does a soft of hard pull of credit report.

If they see signs of fiscal distress then Amex behaves like any other issuer or credit with everything on the table including limits reduced, etc....

Friend used (against my advice) Amex's "pay over time feature" about a year ago. Not understanding how the thing worked, and that you really cannot get at the POT balance without either not using card or making hefty payments well over current balance due, he's been nibbling at it ever since.

Down turn in his business last summer put a bit of limit on financial resources. He was paying things on time, and more than minimum for all cards, but something spooked Amex. He got a letter several months ago (before covid-19 hit) that Amex had chopped his POT limit way down. Reasons given were he was taking too long in paying the thing off, and that there was "information regarding other credit accounts) when Amex pulled his credit report. They went on to give standard blah, blah, blah about who they pulled credit report from, his rights, how to correct incorrect information....

All this went down about a month or so after his annual fee hit, and from credit report Amex had pulled a credit report at that time as well.

Since Amex charge cards don't have preset spending limits how much any account holder can charge per transaction (or per billing cycle) is something they themselves only know. Amex does state when making decisions about extending credit they are based in part on "internal information".
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; ex JAL JGCP
i would not want their centurion card if payment is as horrible as my experience with my current ICC plat.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GordonMacPherson
i would not want their centurion card if payment is as horrible as my experience with my current ICC plat.
What do you mean by that?
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:30 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What do you mean by that?
Read here: Making IDC payments from Citibank (USA) bank account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.