Centurion Card application declined

Old Jun 30, 20, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Centurion Card application declined

I received my invention by email on June 24, and I accpeted and applied over the phone
I gave all the info they needed, they called me next day to verify my additional card member's SSN, after that they told me I got declined.
They said they can re review my app , I just checked the status online, it's shows declined.
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Hmm, that's a bit disappointing, both for you and for how the card is being offered subject to very limited due diligence. What did you tell them that they did not already know about you from your relationship with Amex?
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:02 am
Original Poster

I have no late payment no collection no other bad history in the past of my life.But since I need funds to establish my business this year ,I have hight debt and almost max out my personal credit car. my credit score is 699 and the additional member is 702. I think that's the only down side. Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Hmm, that's a bit disappointing, both for you and for how the card is being offered subject to very limited due diligence. What did you tell them that they did not already know about you from your relationship with Amex?
I haven't talk to them yet, I called yesterday and they said they will contact me as soon as they hear back from the credit team.

Last edited by mia; Jun 30, 20 at 6:59 am
Old Jun 30, 20, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by nnh9207 View Post
I have no late payment no collection no other bad history in the past of my life.But since I need funds to establish my business this year ,I have hight debt and almost max out my personal credit car. my credit score is 699 and the additional member is 702. I think that's the only down side. Any thoughts?
I don't know the procedure in the US, but I expect that the high debt killed it.
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:08 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
I received my invention by email on June 24....
Were you expecting the invitation, had you been working with someone at American Express? They certainly should have known your FICO score beforehand, and could have seen the debt if it reported by a credit card issuer or another bank. Did your FICO score decline substantially in, say, the last 30 days?
Old Jun 30, 20, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Were you expecting the invitation, had you been working with someone at American Express? They certainly should have known your FICO score beforehand, and could have seen the debt if it reported by a credit card issuer or another bank. Did your FICO score decline substantially in, say, the last 30 days?
I worked with my local amex rep and yes I was waiting for the invitation since last year. I just called the team and they told me they still reviewing my applicationI. have no idea what's happening now .
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Was the additional cardmember on your Centurion application also one on your current accounts? If not, there could be something on their credit report or history with Amex that they didn't like and didn't see before.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Was the additional cardmember on your Centurion application also one on your current accounts? If not, there could be something on their credit report or history with Amex that they didn't like and didn't see before.
yes he is.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
I spoke to a Centurion rep recently and they stated that Amex was not currently issuing invites during this pandemic. Maybe that's why they declined your app.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No idea if it applies to this particular situation, but Amex & other card issuers are pulling back (raising underwriting standards). A good deal of writing in the financial press regarding the difficulties of assessing credit risk during the pandemic. I would just let this one play out and not sweat it until the review is finished.
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA Mileage Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
No idea if it applies to this particular situation, but Amex & other card issuers are pulling back (raising underwriting standards). A good deal of writing in the financial press regarding the difficulties of assessing credit risk during the pandemic. I would just let this one play out and not sweat it until the review is finished.
You would have thought that they wouldn't offer an invite if this was the situation
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: United MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Southwest Airlines

I haven't talk to them yet, I called yesterday and they said they will contact me as soon as they hear back from the credit team.
Why don't you go about it the smart way -- that is, go slower, save up money and pay cash for establishing business. This eliminates risk. From mine and Amex's point of view, you are a very high risk with a very high probability of default carrying debt to start a business that may not make it. You already have high debt, why add more? Pay off your debt, save up cash and cash flow the start of your business. I don't blame Amex for not extending you more credit. It's clear you can't afford your current debt load as you aren't paying it off monthly. Do this the smart way.
Old Jun 30, 20, 1:41 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
....don't blame Amex for not extending you more credit.....
I do agree that credit card borrowing is not a sound way to finance a business, but approving a Centurion card is not necessarily an increase in credit line.
Old Jun 30, 20, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
Why don't you go about it the smart way -- that is, go slower, save up money and pay cash for establishing business. This eliminates risk. From mine and Amex's point of view, you are a very high risk with a very high probability of default carrying debt to start a business that may not make it. You already have high debt, why add more? Pay off your debt, save up cash and cash flow the start of your business. I don't blame Amex for not extending you more credit. It's clear you can't afford your current debt load as you aren't paying it off monthly. Do this the smart way.
I don't necessarily disagree with your perspective. That said, one would think that, particularly with respect to the Centurion Card, Amex would do their "homework" prior to actually extending an invitation.

Regards
Old Jun 30, 20, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by newbie88 View Post
You would have thought that they wouldn't offer an invite if this was the situation
We have no way of knowing in what order things changed. On the day OP received the invite, he might have been credit worthy. A day goes by and the underwriting standards are tightened, another goes by and the fact that he borrowed for a business purpose hits the underwriting algorithm. Inside of two days, one could go from an easy approval to a denial.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: