American Express "Shop Small" offer is back

Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:08 am

How does this work with the Bonvoy Brilliant and Aspire dining credits? I'm currently using those cards for dining until my $300 and $250 credits are used up. I'd rather them not use the $5 credit off a shopsmall dining purchase than credit the entire purchase with the repurposed travel credits.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dascc
How does this work with the Bonvoy Brilliant and Aspire dining credits? I'm currently using those cards for dining until my $300 and $250 credits are used up. I'd rather them not use the $5 credit off a shopsmall dining purchase than credit the entire purchase with the repurposed travel credits.
double credits & the acct will likely have a $5 cr
Old Jun 30, 2020, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by dascc
I can confirm they stack
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
I can confirm they stack
Did you already receive a small business credit? The T&C say that the credits will post within 90 days after 9/20, so I was wondering if I needed to create another spreadsheet to track eligible transactions. But if they post quicker, that would be wasted effort.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did you already receive a small business credit? The T&C say that the credits will post within 90 days after 9/20, so I was wondering if I needed to create another spreadsheet to track eligible transactions. But if they post quicker, that would be wasted effort.
Right after I made a purchase the other day, I got the notification "congrats you have used your Amex offer", similarly to other offers I had used.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Right after I made a purchase the other day, I got the notification "congrats you have used your Amex offer", similarly to other offers I had used.

Hmm, now that I am thinking about it, I got one, too, but thought it was related to an online order from Macy’s that shipped that same day. Good to know, thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The number of participating businesses in my neighborhood seems rather limited. I wonder if it's an AmEx benefit for any small biz or just those that signed up?
Same here. The closest one is a restaurant a few miles away (which I happen to frequent so good for me) but I know there are several mom and pop shows around my neighborhood.
They may not be as limited as you might think at first. The map has problems displaying some locations.

There is restaurant near my work (my work being quite far from my home) that I frequent, and was curious to see whether it participated, and I zoomed way in on its location (to the specific block), and it wasn't there. Then I typed in its name in the business name search, and it popped up on the map all of a sudden (in the exact same spot I'd been zooming it find it before)!

With that and lots of zooming in and moving around the map (which kept moving back half the time ), I was able to figure out that not only are there a bunch of restaurants around both my work and my home (within a few miles of each) that participate, some of them belong to Rewards Network (AA Dining, AS Dining, DL Dining, UA Dining, etc) which are mostly the restaurants I eat at, and just limiting myself to those I'll easily get to 10 long before this promo expires, and earn 4x MR points on my Amex Gold (which is the card I use for restaurants and thus the card I chose for this Amex offer) plus 5x AS miles from Alaska Mileage Plan dining for each dollar before the Amex offer credit.

Rewards Network tends to sign up mostly indie restaurants in my locations, which are the kinds of restaurants likely to be Amex "small", though in some other areas it signs up mostly chain restaurants and those are not likely to be Amex "small".
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
... plus 5x AS miles from Alaska Mileage Plan dining for each dollar before the Amex offer credit.
The quoted part of your stack looks particularly interesting. Could you please point to a reference where one can learn the details and/or join?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....where one can learn the details and/or join?
https://mileageplan.rewardsnetwork.com/
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lax01
Easy $50 credit for me...literally every business in my neighborhood is considered a small business - including the local grocery store - thanks for the free money!
Same here. I've already been to two, and I've have gone whether or not the promo existed. I guess that is the benefit of not having a Walmart anywhere for a long long way!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Then I typed in its name in the business name search, and it popped up on the map all of a sudden (in the exact same spot I'd been zooming it find it before)!
Confirmed. However, in my experience, it is more likely that typing the name will generate a match over a hundred miles away, and still more likely that it will generate a match (in the text box dropdown menu) but then say no match was found when I select that matching text.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 11:43 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Another DP - went to a local bodega, not on Amex app map or typed in. Used Amex card and Amex banner saying you used offer popped up on app.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 12:56 pm

Yesterday I found a match by typing its name. Unfortunately they do not even accept AmEx cards, so couldn't use it after all.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Is this an offer that needs to be added to a card? I see the below print with a small map and a few businesses.
When I click the blue enroll, I get a new tab that shows Amex Offers but not this Shop Small. Should there be some kind of Add?Now is the time to Shop Small®

Enroll your Card by 7/26/20 to get $5 back after you spend $10+ at an eligible small business on your Card by 9/20/20, up to 10X. Find places reporting recent activity and Shop Small®.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Another DP - went to a local bodega, not on Amex app map or typed in. Used Amex card and Amex banner saying you used offer popped up on app.
Good to know, thanks.

Yesterday I found a match by typing its name. Unfortunately they do not even accept AmEx cards, so couldn't use it after all.
Sad to know, thanks. It does make one wonder how the database is populated.

Originally Posted by mhdena
Is this an offer that needs to be added to a card? I see the below print with a small map and a few businesses.
When I click the blue enroll, I get a new tab that shows Amex Offers but not this Shop Small. Should there be some kind of Add?
Amex says it needs to be added to the card: "You must first add offer to an eligible card through Amex Offers ..." Maybe you need to get to the Amex Offers list differently. I found it in a list available from the home screen of the account (obviously, while I was logged in). Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.