American Express "Shop Small" offer is back

Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Quite good. Got me a PS5 half off with the Shop Small promo.
Nice, did you find a small biz selling 3rd party gcs?

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What is a PS5?
It's short for PlayStation 5. It's a video game console.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jjangoo
Nice, did you find a small biz selling 3rd party gcs?

It's short for PlayStation 5. It's a video game console.
Ok, now I get it. My Pong and Ms. Pacman years are way behind me.

But not sure how they got half off? Are there more than 1 "shop small" offers? Mine was just $5 back when you spend $10, and I'm sure a PS5 is not $10!
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:57 am

Ok, now I get it. My Pong and Ms. Pacman years are way behind me.

But not sure how they got half off? Are there more than 1 "shop small" offers? Mine was just $5 back when you spend $10, and I'm sure a PS5 is not $10!
My guess is they found a small business selling gift cards (Amazon, Best Buy) and purchased them $10 at a time. Maybe Fluz?
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
My guess is they found a small business selling gift cards (Amazon, Best Buy) and purchased them $10 at a time. Maybe Fluz?
👍
Old Sep 19, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes Fluz. It is mentioned by multiple bloggers on how Fluz is treated by AMEX as small business and how people can take advantage of such.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
This expired yesterday for me. I was getting $5 at every restaurant and liquor store purchase. Any idea if/when another round will come back?
Old Sep 21, 2020, 3:36 pm

Nov.28
Old Sep 22, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Nov.28
source?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally and every year since then "Shop Small" AmEx promos were scheduled for Saturdays after Thanksgiving. Thus it would still be my top guess for this (unusual) year as well.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally and every year since then "Shop Small" AmEx promos were scheduled for Saturdays after Thanksgiving. Thus it would still be my top guess for this (unusual) year as well.
Have they historically been the buy 10/get 5 back?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the Thanksgiving offers have been for a single purchase, but the refund was more than $5.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 5:22 pm

Have they historically been the buy 10/get 5 back?
The rules and the rebate amounts have changed quite a few times. This is the first year that the offer actually required activation, and runs like a Sync Offer. The first couple of years, the rebate was one per card with all cards eligible and the limit $25/$25. So people would gather all the AU cards in the household, and spend the day carrying that stack from one small biz to the next. Later the limit was reduced to $10/$10, still good for all AU cards, but I can't recall how many times it could be used.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:36 am

The promotion may vary from country to country. The Canadian version did not allow "repeat" at the same merchant. So it must be 10 different merchants.
I just received my September statement but no rebate credited. When I called, I was told that I would receive the rebate 90 days after the end of the promotion. It is no longer credited within a few days after the purchase had been made. I have to wait!
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The promotion may vary from country to country. The Canadian version did not allow "repeat" at the same merchant. So it must be 10 different merchants.
I just received my September statement but no rebate credited. When I called, I was told that I would receive the rebate 90 days after the end of the promotion. It is no longer credited within a few days after the purchase had been made. I have to wait!
I got the same 90 day run-a-round on one of my purchase inquiries. Sort of eliminates doing "test buys."
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:04 pm

encore

Nov.28
Just noticed today, that the small business map comes up again for AmEx business cards.
It's accompanied by this language: "... support small businesses like yours on Small Business Saturday® Nov 28 & all season long."
There's no mention yet of any rebates or the duration of this year's campaign (one day or longer).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.