Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex personal savings account offer - 25k MR points for a $25k deposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex personal savings account offer - 25k MR points for a $25k deposit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Amex Savings agent said that the points for this promo should have been posted by the 9th of January. Mine haven't, so she opened a case with Amex (yeah, I know, that sounds weird given that I called Amex Savings, but her wording made it sound like Amex Savings isn't really Amex). She couldn't give an estimate for how long it would take to resolve this.
Same for me. When I pushed as to what is a reasonable time before calling back to check, they said 3-5 days. They also said this has been happening to a number of others.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kenw4077
Same for me. When I pushed as to what is a reasonable time before calling back to check, they said 3-5 days. They also said this has been happening to a number of others.
I put a task in my todo list to call back on Monday, which would give them a week to fix it.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:45 am

My 25k points posted today.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:47 am

posted

Checked mine posted today as well (finally)
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Is this offer still on?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Got my points today as well. Will now move some $15,000 into a new Chase Savings account for a $500 bonus (offer came via email yesterday, also requires a checking account). I will keep the Amex Savings account open until the end of the year as the T&C warned against closing it less than 12 months after opening.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amex 1099-INT is now available online (and coming to my mailbox today, it seems). Mine correctly shows only the interest earned in 2020, less than $100.

For those who got the 25k MR last year, how did Amex value them on your 1099?
Old Feb 6, 2021, 8:17 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
My online 1099-INT showed just the “standard” interest earned, but I today received an additional 1099-INT in the mail showing income of $250, presumably for the 25k points. I consider that an entirely fair valuation.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bgriff
I received an offer email from Amex for 25K MR points if I open a Personal Savings account with them and hold $25K in it for at least 90 days. I expect the bonus would be taxable, as is typically the case with savings account sign-up bonuses, but assuming they're still counting MR points as worth 1 cent each for tax purposes, I still consider that a decent deal (on top of the current 1.15% APY interest earned on the savings account, which is respectable by current standards).

(If anyone else is interested in the same offer, it is targeted, but I had started the application process for an Amex Personal Savings account a month or so ago and gave up when I came across some other options that seemed more attractive. So it seems possible I received the bonus offer as a result of having abandoned my previous attempt, after having gotten 1 or 2 "you forgot to complete your application" emails previously. So it could be worth starting and abandoning an application to see if you also get the offer.)

But, I noticed that the offer email has the same "no gaming" language as most Amex card offers have nowadays:

So I am a bit more torn about taking them up on the offer. I initially was excited to take advantage of the offer and put $25K in for 90 days and then withdraw it all, but clearly that would be a bad idea. It is not clear if withdrawing some or most of the money but keeping the account open with a lower balance for at least 12 months would keep you in the clear. I was originally thinking I might want to withdraw the money from Amex because for a while recently Capital One was offering 1.5% APY while Amex was offering something like 1.2% or 1.3%; it appears they're now both offering 1.15%, so the urgency to withdraw from Amex is also reduced -- but, there's always a chance I might have a need for some of the $25K as well, and it would suck to ruin my future SUB potential earnings with Amex because I didn't end up keeping the $25K balance with them for whatever extended period of time. (I also already have plenty of MR points and no immediate uses planned for them.) It's also possible, maybe even likely, that the rate gap between Amex and other providers may resurface at some point in the future.

Any data points or thoughts?
I think it is so stupid that American Express sets up the parameters of a promotion. Depost minimum of $25k and hold for at least 90 days and then penalizes you for doing exactly what they said was required but closing the account. If Amex wants you to hold it 12 months then make that the requirement
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 6:56 pm

OMG $250 I would value at them at $125

My online 1099-INT showed just the “standard” interest earned, but I today received an additional 1099-INT in the mail showing income of $250, presumably for the 25k points. I consider that an entirely fair valuation.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Centurion
OMG $250 I would value at them at $125
You would actually value them at that or you would try to convince the IRS you value them at that? If it's the former you might want to rethink how you're using your Membership Rewards points, since there are plenty of store gift cards you can get with 25k points worth more than $125.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 8:11 am

Also received my $250 1099INT in the mail. I hate having paper copies (and having to scan these things), so usually just go on the website to grab the PDF. In this case, though, AmEx seems not to have uploaded this 1099INT, having only uploaded one that was triggered from actual interest.

Ugh.

Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
You would actually value them at that or you would try to convince the IRS you value them at that? If it's the former you might want to rethink how you're using your Membership Rewards points, since there are plenty of store gift cards you can get with 25k points worth more than $125.
I think the fair value is $0.006/pt which is the amount AMEX allows you to redeem as a statement credit.

In fact, I think you could argue the points are worth $0.00 since they have no value unless redeemed and they are property of American Express and can be taken away at any time for any or no reason.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Also got the additional 1099. Is anyone valuing it differently on the tax return? At 0.006 per point cash value, I would say, it's reasonable to argue for $150 instead.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
If you have the CS platinum you can trade points for .0125 each, so they’d be worth $312.50. I don’t imagine they adjust the 1099 though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.