3 cent credit balance

Old Jun 2, 20, 3:54 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 31
3 cent credit balance

I have an AMEX EveryDay card that I recently converted to an EveryDay Preferred. For quite a while, I've had a 3 cent credit balance on the card (I very rarely use the card). But I just received my latest statement and the 3 cents is gone. The line item is "Small Balance Write-On Purchase Principal". Has anyone heard of this? is a 'write-on' similar to a 'write-off' -- except Amex takes the money, rather than forgives it? I don't care about the 3 cents, of course, but this doesn't seem quite kosher.
strickerj likes this.
BostonAndy is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 4:43 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 31,931
Originally Posted by BostonAndy View Post
I have an AMEX EveryDay card that I recently converted to an EveryDay Preferred. For quite a while, I've had a 3 cent credit balance on the card (I very rarely use the card). But I just received my latest statement and the 3 cents is gone. The line item is "Small Balance Write-On Purchase Principal". Has anyone heard of this? is a 'write-on' similar to a 'write-off' -- except Amex takes the money, rather than forgives it? I don't care about the 3 cents, of course, but this doesn't seem quite kosher.
Yes, I had my first "write on" ever a couple of months ago. I almost always round up to the next $ when paying, and then I didn't use one particular card for a few months. I'm sure somewhere in the myriad of changes we receive from time to time, we've consented to this "fine business practice" by continued card use.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:46 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 3,055
I wonder if it ends up in unclaimed property? I have $.07 from American Express that I've never bothered to claim, but it shows up when I do a search on the state's website.
OskiBear is offline  
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:48 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,150
AFAICT - AMEX will issue a check for you to deposit.

AMEX won't send the money to unclaimed property unless they can't get ahold with you.
garykung is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Posts: 3,032
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
AFAICT - AMEX will issue a check for you to deposit.

AMEX won't send the money to unclaimed property unless they can't get ahold with you.
Depends how hard they try

Signed, a guy whose job for a year was escheatment
Out of my Element is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:15 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 31,931
It is nothing more than a "legal" Office Space scheme to boost profits.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Jun 3, 20, 1:11 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
It is nothing more than a "legal" Office Space scheme to boost profits.
I've probably benefited more often from the write-off than most. For a very long time, I only used my Platinum card for parking meters, and they were writing off bills as high as 75 cents, several months in a row. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting billed anything. Definitely put me over the edge in making the annual fee worth it!
bryanb is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 12:11 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 7,399
The MOST you could have benefited from that scheme was $8/year. You must be cutting it mighty close if that's the deciding factor of whether or not the annual fee is worth it.
Steve M is offline  
Old Jun 4, 20, 7:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 108
I think most cards (AMEX or not) won't refund a credit balance under $1 unless explicitly requested, correct me if I'm wrong
restrictonthehanger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: