3 cent credit balance

Old Jun 2, 20, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

3 cent credit balance

I have an AMEX EveryDay card that I recently converted to an EveryDay Preferred. For quite a while, I've had a 3 cent credit balance on the card (I very rarely use the card). But I just received my latest statement and the 3 cents is gone. The line item is "Small Balance Write-On Purchase Principal". Has anyone heard of this? is a 'write-on' similar to a 'write-off' -- except Amex takes the money, rather than forgives it? I don't care about the 3 cents, of course, but this doesn't seem quite kosher.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 2, 20, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BostonAndy View Post
I have an AMEX EveryDay card that I recently converted to an EveryDay Preferred. For quite a while, I've had a 3 cent credit balance on the card (I very rarely use the card). But I just received my latest statement and the 3 cents is gone. The line item is "Small Balance Write-On Purchase Principal". Has anyone heard of this? is a 'write-on' similar to a 'write-off' -- except Amex takes the money, rather than forgives it? I don't care about the 3 cents, of course, but this doesn't seem quite kosher.
Yes, I had my first "write on" ever a couple of months ago. I almost always round up to the next $ when paying, and then I didn't use one particular card for a few months. I'm sure somewhere in the myriad of changes we receive from time to time, we've consented to this "fine business practice" by continued card use.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
I wonder if it ends up in unclaimed property? I have $.07 from American Express that I've never bothered to claim, but it shows up when I do a search on the state's website.
Old Jun 2, 20, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
AFAICT - AMEX will issue a check for you to deposit.

AMEX won't send the money to unclaimed property unless they can't get ahold with you.
Old Jun 3, 20, 7:01 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
AFAICT - AMEX will issue a check for you to deposit.

AMEX won't send the money to unclaimed property unless they can't get ahold with you.
Depends how hard they try

Signed, a guy whose job for a year was escheatment
Old Jun 3, 20, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is nothing more than a "legal" Office Space scheme to boost profits.
Old Jun 3, 20, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
It is nothing more than a "legal" Office Space scheme to boost profits.
I've probably benefited more often from the write-off than most. For a very long time, I only used my Platinum card for parking meters, and they were writing off bills as high as 75 cents, several months in a row. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting billed anything. Definitely put me over the edge in making the annual fee worth it!
Old Jun 4, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The MOST you could have benefited from that scheme was $8/year. You must be cutting it mighty close if that's the deciding factor of whether or not the annual fee is worth it.
Old Jun 4, 20, 7:37 am

I think most cards (AMEX or not) won't refund a credit balance under $1 unless explicitly requested, correct me if I'm wrong

Search this Thread
Search Engine: