Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Old Jun 1, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, AMEX Plat (MR), AMEX Delta Platinum
Based on the credit, decided to add Disney+ to my streaming options...

May 24 Credit AMEX STREAMING SUBSCRIPTION CREDIT -$12.31

May 23 NETFLIX.COM 866-579-7172 CA $14.29

May 17 Credit AMEX STREAMING SUBSCRIPTION CREDIT -$7.69

May 16 DISNEY PLUS RECURRING $7.69

This leaves me with a net cost of $1.98 to get both Netflix and Disney+ streaming - pretty good deal. I just finished watching the Star Wars Mandalorian on Disney+ and it was quite good and now going binge the 7 seasons of Star Wars Clone Wars.

Nice addition to the Platinum card!
jimmielin likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:52 pm

Are there any DPs of using the $20 credit at a physical ATT store?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 10:46 am

I prepaid $20 to my AT&T wireless account. It was coded in Amex as AT&T Uverse, which is a bundled subscription. I had a long, unhelpful chat with an Amex agent that this account was a wireless account. I'm having to follow up by sending my bill with the Amex charge, which they said could take 6-8 weeks to resolve. Very frustrating experience considering how simple the streaming credit worked.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by tls62pa
I prepaid $20 to my AT&T wireless account. It was coded in Amex as AT&T Uverse, which is a bundled subscription. I had a long, unhelpful chat with an Amex agent that this account was a wireless account. I'm having to follow up by sending my bill with the Amex charge, which they said could take 6-8 weeks to resolve. Very frustrating experience considering how simple the streaming credit worked.

Absolutely not worth the time and effort and frustration
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mster
Do credits count towards the month that the purchase posts or the month that the related credit posts?

Essentially will credits related to purchases made today count as May or June credits?
I was wondering that, too, as I topped off my Play credit at the end of May to try and capture the last bit of credit. It appears the date of the purchase is what matters; here is my set of transactions:

5/18 Google Play $5
5/20 Credit $5
5/23 HBOMax $11.99
5/25 Credit $11.99
5/30 Google Play $5
6/3 Credit $3.01
Old Jun 4, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by mster
Do credits count towards the month that the purchase posts or the month that the related credit posts?

Essentially will credits related to purchases made today count as May or June credits?
Just wanted to echo what notquiteaff already stated. It is the purchase date that matters with these monthly credits. I also have the Amex Gold Card that comes with a $10 monthly dining credit. There was a time back in February where I used Grubhub on 2/27 and 3/5. Both $10 reimbursements posted in March.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:49 am

I purchased a $10 gift card from a local restaurant group on my Aspire on June 1 just to see what would happen. They sold it through a web interface that seemed to be some third party company but to my surprise today it shows as a 7x restaurant purchase and I received the resort credit. Amex is really quick with these credits.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by tls62pa

I just wanted to share what worked for me to get the AMEX wireless credit for AT&T bundled services. I have AT&T wireless bundled with internet service and was having difficulty getting the wireless credit even after chatting with AMEX. I saw a previous post (either on FT or maybe reddit) that to get an AMEX credit for a previous AMEX wireless offer, a user made a payment by dialing *PAY (*729) from his cell phone to make a partial payment and this qualified for the credit. I did this for my current bill and the wireless statement credit has been posted to my account. Some details below for those who are interested.

1. May 5, I made a partial payment online to AT&T. It showed as "AT&T *PAYMENT 800-288-2020 TX" on my account, but no credit after 2+ weeks. Chatted with AMEX and got the "bundled services may not qualify, etc" and I could call back after 4 weeks if credit doesn't post.
2. May 29, made a $25 partial payment toward my June bill through *PAY from my phone. This charge shows as "AT&T STORE", but in the details it said "Will appear on your Jun 10 statement as AT&T BILL PAYMENT 800-288-2020 TX".
3. May 31 "Credit AMEX WIRELESS PHONE SERVICE CREDIT -$20.00" showed up on my account (It actually showed in my account on June 1, but was dated May 31)
4. June 1, so just to make sure it wasn't just a fluke, I made another $25 partial payment through *PAY which again shows as "AT&T STORE"
Jun 5 "Jun 4 Credit AMEX WIRELESS PHONE SERVICE CREDIT -$20.00" was posted to my account.

It may be that paying by phone gets coded slightly differently such that AMEX recognizes it as a wireless services payment. It may also be that with the many complaints, AMEX changed things on their end and recognized more payments to AT&T to be wireless charges. I think for my July bill, I will let it go through with my usual autopay and see if the credit gets posted automatically. If not, I guess I'll have to use *PAY each month, but at least it's easier then calling in to AMEX each month. One added bonus is that on the AT&T side, after I made the payment by phone, my online account says my autopay is still active with the reduced balance to be automatically charged on June 10, so I should still get the $10/month discount for autopay. This worked for me (at least for May and June), but as always, YMMV. I wish I could find the post with this suggestion, as that user deserves the credit. Hope this helps.
lax01 likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
It appears my favorite brewery does not qualify for the Aspire credits despite coding as "Restaurant - Bar & Cafe". I normally use my CSR there, and it earns 3x points as "Food and Drink" under Chase's coding.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May 18 Google Fi charge - no credit so far

I chatted with an agent who said they recently made a change to make Google Fi eligible, so that's good news. He told me to wait another week or two for the May charge before asking for a manual credit, but supposedly going forward it will be automatic.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by RTDonovan
I just wanted to share what worked for me to get the AMEX wireless credit for AT&T bundled services. I have AT&T wireless bundled with internet service and was having difficulty getting the wireless credit even after chatting with AMEX. I saw a previous post (either on FT or maybe reddit) that to get an AMEX credit for a previous AMEX wireless offer, a user made a payment by dialing *PAY (*729) from his cell phone to make a partial payment and this qualified for the credit. I did this for my current bill and the wireless statement credit has been posted to my account. Some details below for those who are interested.

It may be that paying by phone gets coded slightly differently such that AMEX recognizes it as a wireless services payment. It may also be that with the many complaints, AMEX changed things on their end and recognized more payments to AT&T to be wireless charges. I think for my July bill, I will let it go through with my usual autopay and see if the credit gets posted automatically. If not, I guess I'll have to use *PAY each month, but at least it's easier then calling in to AMEX each month. One added bonus is that on the AT&T side, after I made the payment by phone, my online account says my autopay is still active with the reduced balance to be automatically charged on June 10, so I should still get the $10/month discount for autopay. This worked for me (at least for May and June), but as always, YMMV. I wish I could find the post with this suggestion, as that user deserves the credit. Hope this helps.
Interesting - going to try this now as my Auto-Pay hits June 11th

Does the Auto-Pay auto-adjust down based on the partial payment?

::: Also, if your account balance is $0, how do you make a partial payment? Or do you have to wait for the statement to post? It would not let me make a payment of any kind via *PAY

Last edited by lax01; Jun 5, 2020 at 11:27 am
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Interesting - going to try this now as my Auto-Pay hits June 11th

Does the Auto-Pay auto-adjust down based on the partial payment?
Yes, on my AT&T account, it says autopay scheduled for June 10 with the amount being the remaining balance (initial total -$50). Hope it works for you.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:35 am

Yes, on my AT&T account, it says autopay scheduled for June 10 with the amount being the remaining balance (initial total -$50). Hope it works for you.
Weird, just edited my response - it would not let me make a partial payment (or any payment for that matter) - you don't get that message?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Weird, just edited my response - it would not let me make a partial payment (or any payment for that matter) - you don't get that message?
Hmm, didn't get that message. I just dialed in (*729) again to see. First, got the "Welcome to AT&T express pay line for wireless service", then information on my balance and due date, then asked to press "1" to make a payment, then press "1" to pay total balance or press "2" to make a partial payment.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your edit above. Yes, I believe you have to have a balance to make a payment. When I called in before my June bill was ready, I had a zero balance and it wouldn't let me make a prepayment. I tried again when the June bill posted and I had the balance and got the results in my original post.
lax01 likes this.

Last edited by RTDonovan; Jun 5, 2020 at 12:22 pm Reason: Sorry, I missed your edit above.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 12:33 pm

Hmm, didn't get that message. I just dialed in (*729) again to see. First, got the "Welcome to AT&T express pay line for wireless service", then information on my balance and due date, then asked to press "1" to make a payment, then press "1" to pay total balance or press "2" to make a partial payment.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your edit above. Yes, I believe you have to have a balance to make a payment. When I called in before my June bill was ready, I had a zero balance and it wouldn't let me make a prepayment. I tried again when the June bill posted and I had the balance and got the results in my original post.
Got it - makes sense - will attempt when the balance actually posts to my account

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.