Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 7:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drminn
They would literally last me forever these days; can't remember the last time I used one.
After the USPS promo is over, you can use "lots" of stamps to pay for a package shipment--@$0.55 (current value), 20 stamps would cover $11.00
I rent a PO BOX, I wonder if I can pay my next semi-annual renewal for 7/1/20 in installments? or even out to 12/31/20?
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IMH
There are no other charges or credits in this billing period (and no other wireless phone charges in recent years), so it's definitely a reimbursement of the Fi charge. I didn't contact Amex about this.
You can actually see what the credit is for by drilling into the transaction details. Maybe useful for the streaming credits.

Old May 24, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
I did not want to waste $8.01 of streaming credit on a new card (I found another way to spend $11.99) and my next billing date for Netflix was in June.

If you change your billing date to a different day of the month Netflix charges an immediate pro-ration of the current month's fee.

So, after 15 minutes of researching other solutions, 5 minutes of just seeing what happens when I change, 5 minutes to post here, ... well maybe it was not worth the effort. But the satisfaction of not having to add the card to Youtube to rent a movie and not "wasting $8". Priceless (I know wrong brand).
jimmielin likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by highops
I did not want to waste $8.01 of streaming credit on a new card (I found another way to spend $11.99) and my next billing date for Netflix was in June.
I don’t know that I will have a ton of time to watch it, but I signed up for the HBOMax service to make sure I use all my credit. Netflix is prepaid until next year with discounted gift cards, Prime Video is via Prime subscription. SiriusXM should cover one month. I will use Play credits to make sure I reach $20 each month.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I was surprised to see that an Amazon Prime Now charge received 4x bonus spend on my Delta Reserve recently. Amex has generally improved its grocery recognition in recent months - bodegas and other smaller grocery shops in NYC used to not count as grocery, now they do on all of my Amex cards. Chase still has a better grocery category (Chase includes stores like butchers, farmers markets, cheese shops and other specialty food stores as grocery while Amex still doesn’t from what I can tell),
Just to echo the above, a recent Amazon Fresh order posted as grocery and earned 4x for me as well.
mattp1987 likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:00 am

Well, 2 weeks went by since my bundled AT&T Uverse and AT&T Wireless bill pay posted - used the chat and asked them to manually apply the credit.

The CSR asked questions and then finally asked if it was a bundled charge - I said yes - he said they are not eligible for the credit. I said that's a bad policy and the previous rep said that a charge could be manually applied. Was there anything he could do? He said he could apply an one-time courtesy $20 credit.

Painful - not doing that every month - annoying
Old May 26, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lax01
Well, 2 weeks went by since my bundled AT&T Uverse and AT&T Wireless bill pay posted - used the chat and asked them to manually apply the credit.

The CSR asked questions and then finally asked if it was a bundled charge - I said yes - he said they are not eligible for the credit. I said that's a bad policy and the previous rep said that a charge could be manually applied. Was there anything he could do? He said he could apply an one-time courtesy $20 credit.

Painful - not doing that every month - annoying
At least the CSR gave you a credit. The CSR I contacted about Google Fi was literally "I see the previous conversation in the chat and you were told it was eligible. It is ineligible." when I asked I don't understand how they could backtrack he said "Perfect! If there isn't anything else you need help with, please close the chat"
lax01 likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmielin
At least the CSR gave you a credit. The CSR I contacted about Google Fi was literally "I see the previous conversation in the chat and you were told it was eligible. It is ineligible." when I asked I don't understand how they could backtrack he said "Perfect! If there isn't anything else you need help with, please close the chat"
I would print that out and send it to the CEO of American Express. Not asking for anything, just to let him know how crappy their chat "customer service" is.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by jimmielin
Yeah, I mean I pressed a second time asking "Is there anything you can do to grant the credit?"

I generally don't take no as answer from these guys...knowing they can absolutely grant one-time credits
Old May 26, 2020, 12:46 pm

My Amazon Prime monthly charge did not trigger it. Makes sense, but I thought it might.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Reminder: if you're planning to sign up for HBO Max to use your credits the promotional rate of $11.99 expires tonight.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Thank you. I figured it had to be in there somewhere. I think I'm still going to use the credits though. My wife and I have three Platinums between us, so that's $480 in credit over 8 months. The out of warranty replacement cost for an iPhone 11 through Apple is $399. Since we're two adults using cases and screen protectors, I'm okay self-insuring rather than essentially "paying" $60/month for insurance.
I've been thinking about this. We have four phones and use the business preferred in order to get the insurance and so I'm not delighted about putting $20 each month on Amex and not having the insurance each month. But, I think I've figured out a compromise. I think if you time it correctly you can end up getting the insurance every other month at least. Verizon lets me make a prepayment that is then credited on the next bill. It's not easy to find but I was able to do it last month. By making two $20 payments back to back at the end of the month I think I can effectively get $40 off every other bill and thus pay the full amount on my business preferred every other month. My verizon statement closes on the 3d of each month. Let's pretend my bill is $200 to use round numbers.

June 3, statement closes.
June 4 -- pay $200 with chase, get full coverage for this billing period.
June 30 -- pay $20 with Amex, get June credit.
July 1 -- pay $20 with Amex, get July credit.
July 3, statement closes, shows $40 credit. Pay $160 with whatever card (probably chase to get 3x). No insurance this period because partial pay with amex.
August 3, statement closes.
August 4, pay $200 with chase, get full coverage for this billing period.
August 30 -- pay $20 with Amex, get August credit.
September 1 -- pay $20 with Amex, get September credit.

Etc.

I think this should work and allow me to get 7 more credits for the rest of 2020 but also to get insurance in 4 of those 7 months -- June, August, October, December.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How often do people damage/lose their phones that that insurance is even a consideration? I have had smartphones since the original Handspring Treo and never damaged or lost one.
Old May 26, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How often do people damage/lose their phones that that insurance is even a consideration? I have had smartphones since the original Handspring Treo and never damaged or lost one.
I've had one covered claim on business preferred -- saved us about $300. Four expensive iphones in the family means that the insurance has considerable value to me when it comes to peace of mind. Chase was very easy to work with. You also get 3x by using the business preferred. It is a very nice feature of the card -- worth the annual fee to me at least.
Old May 26, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I've had cellphones since 1990. Not once have I ever lost or damaged any or any of them stop working. The only thing that happened to force me to purchase a new one, is the unfortunate fact that the operating system eventually never gets updated, so a new phone it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.