Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by msp3
If you spend $166,666.67 at supermarkets on it before the end of the year, you can just get lifetime Diamond instead... (and maybe an Amex shutdown)
I know you weren’t being serious, but I think you also forgot that the requirement for LT Diamond Is 10 years of a Diamond status (in addition to the base points or nights requirement).
msp3 likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, why don't you be the data point you seek and simply try it?

Regards
Because....I don't have the card at least not in the US, only the UK.
This (and a nice MR bonus) could be the tipping point for me to finally take out a US one.
But thanks for the reply.

Regards
Old May 7, 2020, 9:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
....new benefits are not based on individual accounts. It's based on the coding Amex assigns to each consumer card group.
This does not appear to be entirely reliable, for example:

Originally Posted by eajusa
1) I confirmed in chat today that not all members who renew Platinum between April and December will receive the $200 Amex Travel credit. It is targeted, and you receive an email stating that your card qualifies. If you already received the email with the cell phone/streaming credits, and the travel credit is not included, you were not targeted.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by eajusa
Since, as always, Amex is mysterious about their credits, offers, etc. I decided to post everything I have learned in one place.
1) I confirmed in chat today that not all members who renew Platinum between April and December will receive the $200 Amex Travel credit. It is targeted, and you receive an email stating that your card qualifies. If you already received the email with the cell phone/streaming credits, and the travel credit is not included, you were not targeted.
2) Consumer Cellular is included in the $20/mo. (Plat) and $10/mo. (Green) cell phone credits.
3) I called to cancel and was offered 30K MR w/no spend requirement or $300 credit w/ 2K spend. Took the points.
My last use of MR points yielded me 1.5 cents per point redeemed. So hopefully, I can get $450 use of the points.
I'm just itching to travel again.
Just curious, did you accept any retention offer last year for your Platinum card? I was genuinely going to cancel last year but they offered me 50,000 MR points with no spend which convinced me to stay one more year. Not sure if they'd offer me anything again this year, despite the unusual COVID-19 situation. (That said, I'm okay with the benefits that Amex has set out... I didn't get targeted for that $200 Amex Travel credit. But am not sure I am definitely going to renew either.)
Old May 7, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bryanb
Just curious, did you accept any retention offer last year for your Platinum card?
No, I haven’t asked for a retention offer for a few years.
Old May 7, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Hmm - perhaps the Amex Travel credit is targeting those who have used Amex Travel before (I have used it to book Fine Hotels and Resorts and airline tickets)
Old May 7, 2020, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Hmm - perhaps the Amex Travel credit is targeting those who have used Amex Travel before (I have used it to book Fine Hotels and Resorts and airline tickets)
My counter DP is the email I got did include the $200 Amex Travel offer and I've never used it before. This is on a new Platinum card I opened in December, so will see its fee hit in Dec. 2020.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
I have not received (and not asked for) any retention offers ever, and got the $200 travel credit offer. I do use the card for all my flights.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
My counter DP is the email I got did include the $200 Amex Travel offer and I've never used it before. This is on a new Platinum card I opened in December, so will see its fee hit in Dec. 2020.
(cough, cough) triple dip (cough, cough)

-----------------------

Anyone else thinking that AMEX is using these temporary "bonuses" to gauge customer reaction? I can easily see a scenario where some, if not all, of these additional credits are retained as cardmember benefits on a $1,000 annual fee card. (Titanium card, anyone?)
Old May 7, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
(cough, cough) triple dip (cough, cough)

-----------------------

Anyone else thinking that AMEX is using these temporary "bonuses" to gauge customer reaction? I can easily see a scenario where some, if not all, of these additional credits are retained as cardmember benefits on a $1,000 annual fee card. (Titanium card, anyone?)
A good thought, but I usually keep my Platinum cards for two years. You can nearly always get a retention offer on your first anniversary.

That's an interesting thought. I feel like the Amex Travel credit could stick around, especially since the breakage is likely to be decently high and they get the backend commissions on the bookings. It'll be interesting to see how the card products evolve. 2020 is turning into a potentially lucrative year to be a Platinum cardholder.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ameskay
I do like my Netflix, but also get it through T-Mobile (something for you to consider).

I actually just signed up for HBO Max and they are having a 12-month deal for $11.99/mo. You can cancel any time. Great content and I would personally choose over Hulu. https://www.hbomax.com/

If you have kids, or like Star Wars and Marvel, Disney+ ($6.99/mo) gets a lot of raves.
I received the statement credit for signing up for Max.
Old May 7, 2020, 3:29 pm

AT&T wireless autopay posted 4 days ago.

This morning $20 was credited to my Pt account.

I also got the email briefly mentioning $200 travel credits.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by radiolarian
AT&T wireless autopay posted 4 days ago.

This morning $20 was credited to my Pt account.

I also got the email briefly mentioning $200 travel credits.
What did it post as? Mine hits 5/10 - but I just got the bill and its bundled Wireless and Internet so I'm not hopeful
Old May 7, 2020, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I sure hope they don't call it Titanium, that would screw up the whole naming scheme. I think you could buy about 800 lbs of titanium for the same price as a single oz of gold.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
What did it post as? Mine hits 5/10 - but I just got the bill and its bundled Wireless and Internet so I'm not hopeful
AT&T MOBILE RECURRING W

(800) 331-0500

www.att.com
Show Additional Information

Will appear on your May 17 statement as AT&T MOBILE RECURRIN800-288-2020 TX
lax01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.