Amex Plat USA - Cancel or Not?

Old Apr 20, 2020, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Amex Plat USA - Cancel or Not?

Any reason not to cancel this card. Mostly had it for the Centurion Lounge benefit. I can't see taking advantage of that anytime soon. Any concerns about cancelling and maybe rejoining. Do they pro -rate your membership fee as a refund or is that toast.

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Saks Credit?
Uber Credit?
Amex Offers?

I believe they no longer pro-rate annual fees. I know Amex used to, but my understanding is they have abandoned the practice.

My renewal is in November. I may ask to downgrade to the Gold Card at that time unless things significantly change. I have oscillated between Gold & platinum throughout the years.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Isn’t cancelling and rejoining more hassle than the few bucks it costs? I do believe you are given a prorated refund of the AF.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:30 am

I don't think you get a prorated refund anymore, which means there is no benefit to cancelling until the next fee posts.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Any reason not to cancel this card. Mostly had it for the Centurion Lounge benefit. I can't see taking advantage of that anytime soon. Any concerns about cancelling and maybe rejoining. Do they pro -rate your membership fee as a refund or is that toast.

Thanks.
Your annual fee will be refunded if you cancel within 30 days of the closing date of the statement upon which the fee appears. It will be pro-rated if you downgrade to a different card at any time.

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Saks Credit?
Uber Credit?
Amex Offers?
Certainly not worth $550 for those benefits alone.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

Thanks.
If all you care about are the lounges, then there's probably no reason for you to not cancel the card. But since there is no prorated membership fee on USA cards. you might as well hold onto it and see if you are offered a retention bonus when it is time for renewal. Or you could consider trying to downgrade to a Gold card for the remainder of your year.

I have reasons to not get rid of the card; I still use Uber & Saks, I have a December trip through Platinum travel, and it's not even May.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Certainly not worth $550 for those benefits alone.
I can understand not applying a face value on those credits, but how much do you value them? What portion of the $550 do you assign as value towards the lounges? My point is that if I think of the credits as being worth $250, I then ask myself if it's worth a cancellation/downgrade over $300, or $25/mo for the months I'm not using the lounge or other credits. To me, the relationship and extended warranty on products purchased in the past 2 years are worth that price for the one year I didn't "make money" on Amex. I also remember that the when the international airline program was BOGO, I saved $4000 ($7000 face value, but I compare to what two non-ref biz tickets would have cost) on a trip to Australia.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Any reason not to cancel this card. ....
Without regard to any other considerations, do not close any American Express (USA) card account until it is a full 12 months old, else you risk being disqualified for future bonuses on other cards.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold
You can still get a prorated refund of the annual fee for an AMEX card if you have another AMEX card still open at the time
of the cancel request and you contact them manually to request this. I was able to do this via chat in November. Reference
post on doctorofcredit.com:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/get-a...anual-request/
Old Apr 21, 2020, 4:47 pm
mia

Originally Posted by shoeflyer
You can still get a prorated refund of the annual fee for an AMEX card if...
Discussion here: Bye Bye pro-rated Annual Fee refunds (USA), September 2016, exceptions reported.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Without regard to any other considerations, do not close any American Express (USA) card account until it is a full 12 months old, else you risk being disqualified for future bonuses on other cards.
I've had the card for a couple years. I was great when I traveled a lot. Great hotel benefit and my wife and I got great upgrades but I don't see us taking many trips in the next year or two (at least by plane) so the hotel benefit and lounge benefit are of limited utility. I sure am not taking Ubers until I can be sure me and my family are safe. I just wouldn't want to disqualify from reaapplying. I do have a Macy's amex and a Bonvoy Amex (which is my primary card .... although that might be under reconsideration).

Has anyone tried to cancel and gotten a retention bonus. I would imagine people are probably cancelling these things in droves now given the high cost and inability to redeem the benefit.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

Has anyone tried to cancel and gotten a retention bonus. I would imagine people are probably cancelling these things in droves now given the high cost and inability to redeem the benefit.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...offers-21.html

lots of data points, but they are all/mostly from people who call when the AF is due. I take it from your first post that your card renewal date isn’t imminent?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:20 am
mia

.... anyone tried to cancel and gotten a retention bonus.....
Yes, see here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html

Note that Macy's is an Amex-network card, mot issued by American Express. It has no bearing on your relationship.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 7:57 pm

Anyone have any success getting them to reduce the fee at renewal? Since most of the benefits are worthless right now without travel -- FHR, Airline reimbursement, lounge access, Uber, etc.?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by anaugle
Anyone have any success getting them to reduce the fee at renewal?
Rlease see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...on-offers.html
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:36 am

Unrelated question, but does anyone know how the fees work for additional card members? My card member anniversary is in June, and my additional card member fee posted in March. I paid it then, but am now considering cancelling or downgrading when the annual fee hits. Is there any sort of refund for the additional card member fee I already paid? I searched and couldn't find anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.