Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is downgrading the Bonvoy Brilliant to the $95 AF Bonvoy card still possible?

Is downgrading the Bonvoy Brilliant to the $95 AF Bonvoy card still possible?

Old Jul 5, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Sorry what is the 24/90 rule?

My understanding is that you cannot receive a Chase Marriott card if you currently hold the Amex card and vice versa. Of course the usual 5/24 rule applies as well. Am I missing something.
You can be approved for the card. You just won't get the SUB.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:16 pm

Sorry what is the 24/90 rule?

My understanding is that you cannot receive a Chase Marriott card if you currently hold the Amex card and vice versa. Of course the usual 5/24 rule applies as well. Am I missing something.
Here is a chart that clarifies whats what:
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/eligi...-bonvoy-cards/
Old Jul 6, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Schnit
The rules are way too complicated. I wish the merger was never approved. Marriott has a lot of power with the card issuers now.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Schnit
Very helpful thanks. I received SUB for the Amex Biz Bonvoy a year ago. So it appears I would have to wait another year before applying for Chase Bonvoy card. I thought that you had to close all the Amex cards as well before applying to Chase to receive a SUB but that does not appear to be the case according to the chart.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:08 pm

If this helps clarify, I opened the AMEX business card and 26 months later opened Boundless.

My wife opened Boundless and 26 months later opened Business, 2 months later opened Brilliant
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 2:13 pm
FT

I realize I said I'd report back and never did. I believe @SPN Lifer address after my post. I had no issue with the request. Toughest part was remembering what the downgraded card is now called, Marriott Bonvoy Card. I had just known it as the SPG AMEX card then moved to the Brilliant directly from there for the SUB 3 years ago.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 5:16 pm

Just wanted to ask if this downgrade path is still available with the advent of the Bevy card. Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Just wanted to ask if this downgrade path is still available with the advent of the Bevy card. Thanks.
I just downgraded a week ago with no problems, so I would say yes. Was able to do it via chat in a few minutes, and the new card artwork showed up in Apple Wallet that day. Still waiting for the new physical card, but the card number stays the same so anything with the card on file still works.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jase415
I just downgraded a week ago with no problems, so I would say yes. Was able to do it via chat in a few minutes, and the new card artwork showed up in Apple Wallet that day. Still waiting for the new physical card, but the card number stays the same so anything with the card on file still works.
Thanks. This is good to know. When the fee hits early next year I'm looking to downgrade to the $95 card. For me it's a better value and I can easily recoup the AF through the 35K certificate, which can now be topped off.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 7:08 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
just downgraded from Bevy to $95 card. Now, if Amex would offer a juicy point bonus to go to Brilliant, I'd bite. Alas...nada.

No reason to keep Bevy. Very few mentions of it on FT or elsewhere.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by EqualOpp

.... Very few mentions of it on FT or elsewhere.
Because that (the Bevy) as well as the Chase Bountiful are unpopular useless cards with zero exciting benefits that perhaps one will only sign up for if there is a juicy SUB but won't hold onto it past the first year.
SPN Lifer and EqualOpp like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
just downgraded from Bevy to $95 card. Now, if Amex would offer a juicy point bonus to go to Brilliant, I'd bite. Alas...nada.
Was considering downgrade for P2 but I think we will just cancel as the downgrade would fence off the path to the Chase RC card. Yes, the Bevy is completely worthless except for the SUB.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Was considering downgrade for P2 but I think we will just cancel as the downgrade would fence off the path to the Chase RC card. Yes, the Bevy is completely worthless except for the SUB.
yeah, that's a good point. I've had the regular bonvoy (SPG) card for many years though. I once had a Chase Marriott Business card...but canceled it years ago (Stupidly). maybe i apply for amex bonvoy bus someday. you could still get the chase bonvoy. just no welcome bonus..then upg to rc, no?

u've seen this from FM?

martzipan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.