COVID-19 related disputes

Old Apr 20, 20, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
Often there is a threshold amount where either the CC issuer or the vendor just agree to refund because it is not worth the cost of a real investigation and just refund the money automatically.
In my recent experience, the threshold seems to be around $300-400
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:23 am

If I don't get fully refunded on my cancelled cruise within the 60 days the cruise line indicated, I'll be disputing it for sure. They provided an option, for refund or credit. I selected refund.
Old Apr 21, 20, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What "give and take"?

A refund is paid out in cash (or equivalent, such as a credit memo to one's credit card). One may then spend those funds on anything one pleases. Or simply not spend them at all.

A credit is merely an opportunity to apply the value to future goods or services from the merchant vendor in question.

There is a reason why these are not the same and why one is due a refund if the vendor does not provide the service. Not a question of blame, it is simply a matter of a business transaction.

If a refund is due, I would not wait past the next day to initiate a chargeback and to supply the card issuer with the necessary documents to make the case complete.
Old Apr 22, 20, 11:30 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Based on the website language, and the economics of the CV19 problem, it may well be that American Express will regard a credit voucher as a satisfactory (if temporary) resolution. This article is primarily about UK travel providers, but there is some information about other countries, and the fundamentals are the same everywhere. Many airlines literally do not have enough money to pay universal refunds. This may be different if the company has received government assistance.

All big UK airlines and travel firms denying refunds,
Up to £7bn owed for trips cancelled because of coronavirus - but operators fear bankruptcy if they pay out
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ch-coronavirus

Old Apr 22, 20, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Based on the website language, and the economics of the CV19 problem, it may well be that American Express will regard a credit voucher as a satisfactory (if temporary) resolution.
I really hope that they don't go down this road, but we shall see. I share your assessment. It would be a significant disappointment and, in my mind, undermine the primary reason that I use a credit card for any transaction.
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL PM
Posting yet again another update in my COVID-19 related disputed between Amex and TicketMaster. (See upthread for further details).

Last week Amex credited my account the disputed amount ($630.20) while they began their "investigation." This morning I received notification that the vendor, TicketMaster, finally processed my refund and it posted to my card. I went online and "closed" the dispute. The website was very obscure as to what happens next now that I initiated the dispute closure.

I called Amex, with no wait time on hold, and explained the situation. The agent notated my account and confirmed the dispute was closed. Amex will supposedly re-bill me in the coming days for the interim credit they provided and my account will only reflect the one credit (from the vendor) vs the double credit scenario I current have displaying now.

I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that TicketMaster finally processed the refund (after failing to refund within their stated window) or if Amex pressured them to.
Happy and angra like this.
Old Apr 24, 20, 7:47 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
I'm not sure if it was just coincidence that TicketMaster finally processed the refund (after failing to refund within their stated window) or if Amex pressured them to.
Policy change:

Live Nation Entertainment, the global concert giant that owns Ticketmaster, announced a program on Friday to offer refunds and coupons for canceled and postponed shows, after weeks of criticism online and growing pressure from lawmakers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/a...nds-virus.html
Old Apr 26, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mia View Post
The policy change referenced in the article was for customers whose event dates had been postponed or rescheduled. Mine was completely cancelled, which per the original terms of purchase, owed a refund within 14-21 days. The policy change is great news for someone who had a concert say this spring get moved to the fall or maybe even next spring.

Who knows, maybe the policy change did do something to “speed up” the refund policy for already eligible tickets.

As of today Amex has still not removed the provisional credit - so my account is essentially double credited at the moment.
Old May 6, 20, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, Amex Plat
Today I have seen several reports in a Canadian group I follow of Amex rejecting disputes after review for airline-cancelled flights where the airline offered vouchers. I don't know if something happened recently that caused a bunch to complete review at once.

Anyone here getting any adjudicated outcomes on contested disputes?
Old May 7, 20, 3:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I recently got a chargeback credit for a refund due for KLM through Visa...
Old May 7, 20, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by angra View Post
Today I have seen several reports in a Canadian group I follow of Amex rejecting disputes after review for airline-cancelled flights where the airline offered vouchers. I don't know if something happened recently that caused a bunch to complete review at once.

I heard from a friend in the UK yesterday that Amex rejected his chargeback as the airline offered a voucher for future travel. Just one data point.
Old May 12, 20, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by angra View Post

I just had Amex US close a dispute and issue credit for a canceled flight where the airline offered future credit. However, Amex did say that the merchant has until July to respond, and I could get rebilled for the charge.
Old May 12, 20, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I heard from a friend in the UK yesterday that Amex rejected his chargeback as the airline offered a voucher for future travel. Just one data point.
Is your friend now going to log an official complaint against Amex with the Financial Ombudsman? Would be interested to see how Amex will react to that.
Old May 12, 20, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I don’t know, but I suspect not as he can rebook for the same period next year at more or less the same price.
Old Aug 27, 20, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
I won a fairly sizable chargeback dispute ($500+ USD) against MyStays Hotels for failing to issue an acknowledged valid refund after 90+ days. Well, another 60 days later, MyStays issued the refund too. Should I expect AmEx to claw back one of these? I don't want ill-gotten gains, but I also don't want to call if it might mess up an automatic process and cause me to lose both credits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: