Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Offer - Mortgage from Better.com w/ $2,500 statement credit

Old Apr 14, 20, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold

Has anyone taken advantage of this offer?
I'm in the process of doing a refi and the offer is $2,500 in a statement credit on the Amex card + free appraisal.
The rates/terms look decent.

I'm curious if anyone has availed themselves of this offer and if the $2,500 really shows up (although I do have the offer in writing)
Old Apr 14, 20, 8:33 pm

i just started the process with an application Sunday (2 days ago)...they will match and beat other rates (their rates are competitive but not the best)....lots of ppl are applying at other online lenders and better will match (and beat) the rate by 1k (and you still get the $2500 credit)

lots of reports of the credit showing up but taking anywhere from 2-8 weeks

Theres another forum with like 150 pages of responses and details if you google AMEX BETTER $2,500 you will find it...

Hope this helps
OskiBear likes this.
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:57 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Was the offer received via email? Quicken Loans has a similar promotion, which I believe targets existing customers.
Old Apr 15, 20, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Saidoh View Post
Was the offer received via email? Quicken Loans has a similar promotion, which I believe targets existing customers.
Here's the link to the offer: https://better.com/with/amex

I originally tried Quicken Loans but my property didn't meet their underwriting guidelines (high-rise condo) and they didn't bother to tell me until after they did a hard pull on my credit
Saidoh likes this.
Old Apr 15, 20, 11:33 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Here's the link to the offer: https://better.com/with/amex
Thank you!

There's some talk in the thread on that other forum that you have to have the targeted offer for it to go through, even the first post has a note from Better.com itself stating it's a targeted offer.

From the terms at the offer site above: "To be eligible for the $2,500 statement credit, you must (i) click-through the dedicated offer link, and (ii) submit a completed application on Better Mortgageís webpage dedicated to the offer no later than 7/25/2020"

Would just applying through the link above work?
Old Apr 15, 20, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I clicked using the above link, but wasn't specifically targeted. Someone mentioned it to me. However, I did receive an email from Better confirming all the details of the Amex offer, so it seems that I am eligible given I have it in writing from them.
Old Apr 16, 20, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
wow, that a really nice offer. Paid off my mortgage many years ago, so no use to me. But really good offer especially right now.
Old Apr 22, 20, 12:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Took advantage of this last month. It's great if you get a pricematch and the credit. Mortgage processor specifically called it "the gravy". About a month out from closing, still waiting on credit
Old May 26, 20, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
better.com $2500 statement credit for AMEX Plat - my experience

I was a little surprised I did not see a thread on this topic in the past. Some of you may have received the offer of a $2500 AMEX statement credit and waived appraisal fee for taking out a mortgage (purchase or refinance) through Better.com.

I took advantage of this offer in early March when the refinance rates cratered and was very pleased with my experience. Better.com staff were very easy to work with, I only had to have one or two phone calls with my concierge to clarify some information needed and the timelines. Everything else was done through a self service online interface which was very well laid out and very intuitive. From submitting my application to closing my loan took 5 weeks and they said they would normally have had it done in 3, they were just crushed with demand especially for refinances.

It did take a few weeks for my Amex statement credit to post, but it did without any intervention on my part, I think the loan needed to clear post-close auditing before they released the statement credit.

All in all, if you are thinking about a home loan or refinancing and have this offer, you should consider taking advantage of it. I am giving this feedback as someone who has bought three houses and taken out two refinances in my life, so I am very familiar with the mortgage process, but the staff were great and I am sure even for a 1st time buyer they would do a great job of coaching through the process.
Old May 26, 20, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Took advantage of this offer and they matched my best offer. Also gave me $500 more at closing.
Old May 26, 20, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
I'm underwhelmed so far. I filled out most of an application, and only in the process realized that the mortgage I might want to refi is in a state that they don't serve, and the one that is eligible with them, the rate is low enough that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to refi given the current numbers.

So I emailed the above summary to my concierge. They sent another email (not directly responding) saying that because I'm an AMEX customer they're transferring me to concierge #2 . So I emailed the 2nd one the same thing. I never got a reply, but i kept getting emails "Hi, I'm trying to reach out to you" and near-daily phone calls. I replied to one of their emails saying "did you get my previous emali?" Then they texted me, and I replied to that via text as well.

To date I still have no reply that indicates they have received either my emails or my text, just a continuing stream of self-promoting emails "Hi, we still haven't heard from you!".

So I assume their CRM or IT is broken... I mean, if it's having trouble receiving emails from gmail...

At least the calls have mostly stopped.
Old May 26, 20, 5:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
.... assume their CRM or IT is broken... I mean, if it's having trouble receiving emails from gmail...
I doubt that this is an IT problem, but rather that there is no incentive for any individual employee to read, research or reply, and so they move on to the easier cases.
Old May 26, 20, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I doubt that this is an IT problem, but rather that there is no incentive for any individual employee to read, research or reply, and so they move on to the easier cases.
That seems a bit odd for a company that touts "dedicated concierge" service. And it would be one thing if they ignored me entirely (I would be totally fine with that), but they keep sending me communications about how they haven't heard back from me, when they have. That's why I think it's an IT issue.
Old May 26, 20, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

I ended up finalizing my refi with them. It was fairly simple and I was fortunate the appraisal requirement was actually waived. From application/rate lock to closing/funding was 14 days.
Now I'm waiting for my $2,500 Amex credit. Hope that posts with no issues.
Old May 27, 20, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I ended up finalizing my refi with them. It was fairly simple and I was fortunate the appraisal requirement was actually waived. From application/rate lock to closing/funding was 14 days.
Now I'm waiting for my $2,500 Amex credit. Hope that posts with no issues.
It should, as mentioned on my experience, it did take some time. Better.com told me it would take 8-12 weeks...we all know when Amex says this it usually posts in 48 hours...but don't expect that for this credit. I think mine took 6 weeks to post, give or take...and it posted very shortly (a few days) after I got a notification from better.com that my loan had cleared post-closing audit process.
OskiBear likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: