FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX Offer - Mortgage from Better.com w/ $2,500 statement credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2015771-amex-offer-mortgage-better-com-w-2-500-statement-credit.html)

30k Jun 17, 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 32406091)
I ended up finalizing my refi with them. It was fairly simple and I was fortunate the appraisal requirement was actually waived. From application/rate lock to closing/funding was 14 days.
Now I'm waiting for my $2,500 Amex credit. Hope that posts with no issues.

Any update on whether you got the credit? I wasn’t personally targeted for the offer but would obviously love to take advantage as well the same way you were able to.

MIAFlyer Jun 18, 2020 7:53 am

I can confirm the $2500 credit posted on my account about 6 weeks after closing. I got (and used) the Quicken Loans offer, they also gave $1000 towards closing costs too. Didn't ask about rate matches, they were within 1/8% of what I would have gotten elsewhere w/o the credits. Overall a fairly easy process.

ryan754 Jun 19, 2020 2:01 am

Fairly happy with them myself. The initial rate was quite high. They matched another lender meaning two hard pulls (which isn’t a big deal as they are grouped as one) beat closing costs by $1000 and got a free appraisal. Saving $450 a month adding three years to the loan. Win win.

zippy the pinhead Jun 22, 2020 1:34 pm

I called AmEx to get clear on this. So far as I understand, it does not have to be targeted. In other words, it didn't show up in my feed of "AmEx offers" when logged in to AmEx.com on any of my cards. However, when you apply for the mortgage from Better, the AmEx rep told me the name and email must match. All you need is a consumer AmEx card open and in good standing when you go in through the offer link to apply.

In my case I was using a different email address for Better and AmEx, but Better.com has a "change email" function available on their Web site which you can use, provided you have not come in via your Google (or Facebook?) profile. At least that is what I read in another thread. I registered for their site with an email and password; I am not using a Google or FB profile.

The Better.com rep told me there will be a form provided during closing where you enter your AmEx card number. The statement credit allegedly takes up to 8-12 weeks to appear.

jags86 Jun 23, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm going through with a Better.com refinance right now. The $2500 offer makes them very attractive and tough to beat. Make sure you do all of your competitive rate shopping before going to Better as their off the shelf rates are not competitive.

30k Jun 23, 2020 5:46 pm

When you're cross-shopping, are you having to do a new hard pull with every lender in order to get a written loan offer that shows the offered interest rate? And did Better require that written loan offer in order to match/beat a competing rate?

jags86 Jun 23, 2020 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by 30k (Post 32480156)
When you're cross-shopping, are you having to do a new hard pull with every lender in order to get a written loan offer that shows the offered interest rate? And did Better require that written loan offer in order to match/beat a competing rate?

Rate shopping doesn’t affect your credit after the initial pull. You have 45 days to rate shop before you collect another hard pull. Better requires a loan estimate to match.

FWIW, Better will beat an offer by $1000, but once you lock in with them they will only match and not throw in the $1000 and won’t guarantee that match. That said a match +$2500 is still great.

kesco Jun 28, 2020 4:36 am

Done deal

I closed my refi with better 6/19.

2.875% 30 yr fixed (about a $335k loan)
A on CD: $0
B on CD: $64 (appraisal waived)
C on CD: $1125 ($525 is lenders title insurance, reissue rate)
Then.... $1530ish credit from Better on CD (I took impounds so I’d get the full credit otherwise I would not.)

And.... $2500 AMEX credit.

The closing agent (local attorney) I used said it was the best deal he’s seen. The rate above did require a price match - matched a UWM initial disclosure. UWM has extremely good rates for lowish LTV (sub 60%).

Theres a posting on Slickdeals on the strategies to maximize this deal w Better over 7000 replies... FYI.

zippy the pinhead Aug 15, 2020 9:10 pm

We funded via Better.com on 7/24. How long for that AmEx statement credit to hit your account?

jags86 Aug 18, 2020 11:08 am

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead (Post 32607052)
We funded via Better.com on 7/24. How long for that AmEx statement credit to hit your account?

I closed on 7/8 and am still waiting.

dpb132 Aug 18, 2020 6:59 pm

I had the same offer through Quicken (Rocket Mortgage) and it took 8 weeks to post.

zippy the pinhead Sep 10, 2020 7:04 pm

The credit came in around the first of September for us, so 40 days from funding to showing up in the card activity.

jags86 Sep 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead (Post 32667013)
The credit came in around the first of September for us, so 40 days from funding to showing up in the card activity.

I am 9 weeks since closing...still no $2500...

geoffk Sep 15, 2020 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jags86 (Post 32612755)
I closed on 7/8 and am still waiting.

we closed 7/11 and no credit yet here either.

jags86 Sep 15, 2020 9:28 am

Originally Posted by geoffk (Post 32677057)
we closed 7/11 and no credit yet here either.

I just got my credit today. I did call and inquire last week and they said they had record of it and would attempt to expedite. The credit was backdated to 9/4 which was the first day of my current statement period.