Amex Bonvoy, COVID-Cancellation, Negative Points?

Old Mar 23, 20, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Amex Bonvoy, COVID-Cancellation, Negative Points?

I had a prepaid Courtyard booking (made several months ago) for a trip to Portland that was cancelled due to COVID. Marriott was great, and refunded the booking back to my Amex Bonvoy card. It showed up as a credit to this month's statement, which is also great since my next balance due will be less!

But now, when I log into the Amex app, it shows an approximate -4500 Bonvoy point balance since the previous Marriott purchase was essentially refunded... Never been in this situation before. Will Amex remove those points from my Bonvoy account when my next statement posts? Does they do nothing, or do I slowly need to make purchases to "accrue" enough spend to cancel it out? If Amex does "take" the negative point out of my Bonvoy account, what happens if I don't have those points, as I was thinking of making a points redemption reservation for later this year that would drain my current total?

Any one have any similar experience, ever from before our current COVID era? Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 20, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
yes they will remove the points and that is what they should do!! Not sure what you expected
Old Mar 25, 20, 6:16 pm

I am confused as to why you expect to keep points for a booking that was cancelled and refunded back to you?
Old Mar 25, 20, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the responses. I have no issue with the points being debited because of the refund, and as I mentioned, the great silver lining is that my bill this month will be lower

I am curious how the ultimate transfer of "negative" points to my Bonvoy account would work. I asked in the Marriott thread, and there where conflicting reports on how it would work: one report indicated the negative points would be transferred to my Bonvoy account at the end of my next statement, and another said that the negative balance stayed on the Amex side until there was enough spend to cancel out the negative balance. I also wondered if it was even possible to have a "negative" Bonvoy balance on the Marriott end if my balance was less than the debit transferred from Amex, as I've never been in that situation before.

I appreciate the interest in my questions, and would love to hear about any similar experiences. Stay safe and healthy!
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
I don't know either, but for the record it seemed pretty clear to me that you were asking how the mechanics of it worked, and not that you thought you were in any way entitled to keep the points. Not sure why the other responses were so harsh.
Old Mar 29, 20, 9:29 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I don't know either, but for the record it seemed pretty clear to me that you were asking how the mechanics of it worked, and not that you thought you were in any way entitled to keep the points. Not sure why the other responses were so harsh.
Harsh responses?

Of course - LOTS of folks here read a post with a baseline assumption that somebody is complaining. Just a bias that has built up after reading about so many people complaining about every little bump in life. (not speaking of this thread, just in general).

So, unless a poster SPECIFICALLY mentions they are not complaining, then $hit will fly automatically.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: