Amex Dispute/Chargeback Process

Old Mar 23, 20, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Amex Dispute/Chargeback Process

I bought a fully refundable ticket on AirFrance in August of last year and AF is now saying I can only get a voucher. I cannot figure out how to dispute it online at Amex because the dispute center only goes back six months. Does this mean it is too late to dispute the charge? It seems to me that even though the charge was several months ago it is only now that I have reason to know they wonít honor. I havenít called yet but am hoping to know my rights before I do and maybe thinking it is best to do in writing but I have never before done a chargeback.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:42 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
The best way to protect your rights is to send the dispute through USPS as explained here:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...t-card-charges
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
However, Amex accepts online chargebacks even though it is not required to do so. OP's problem is that the law only requires 60 days. I would call Amex and try this by phone, noting that it is for an air ticket where the flight has been cancelled. If Amex still will not accept it, but all means send the chargeback request in by mail (details on your statement), but don't expect much. You are then relegated to small claims court. Not to worry, AF does business in many states in the US and finding a registered agent is easy.

Might as well also file a DOT complaint (online form). I don't see DOT enforcing deadlines for responses on carriers these days, but at least you will get higher level attention sooner or later.
Old Mar 23, 20, 9:24 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Amex accepts online chargebacks even though it is not required to do so.
Not in this example, and using the online form does not preserve your legal rights..

Originally Posted by lkar View Post
....cannot figure out how to dispute it online at Amex because the dispute center only goes back six months. ...
I think a written dispute is always better than a telephone call because it creates evidence.
Old Mar 23, 20, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Ok, I think that I will just send a letter and hope. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: