Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Amex Clawback Miles? (Refund after bonus period)

Old Mar 20, 20, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest

I charged my Red Sox season ticket 10 game package to DL AMEX Platinum back in November, If you take away this $812 I fall below the $3k spend , not overall as we still use the card but I would be below $3K in 90 days.

I'm not sure what is going to happen as I doubt every game will be cancelled but if I get a refund what are the chances Amex goes after the bonus ?

We have the same issue on a Chase WN card as we paid a $1500 deposit in January for services that may end up being refunded at some point. Thanks
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:36 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Do you know if the $812 transaction was the one that crossed the $3,000 threshold?
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Do you know if the $812 transaction was the one that crossed the $3,000 threshold?

I don't believe it was the purchase that crossed $3k but without that $812 I don't cross $3k in 90 days
Old Mar 20, 20, 4:46 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Understood, but the transaction that crosses the threshold is special, and an offsetting credit would be flagged by automated system.
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:33 pm

can you ask to be refunded on a different card? or by check?
Old Mar 20, 20, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Understood, but the transaction that crosses the threshold is special, and an offsetting credit would be flagged by automated system.
Originally Posted by BenSenise View Post
can you ask to be refunded on a different card? or by check?

I have no idea what, if anything will be refunded yet, It may end up being a credit to my account like they do with unplayed playoff game tickets.

This refund will also likely occur at least 5 months after the purchase date so it's not like I made a major purchase and returned it on the next billing cycle. I paid for the Tickets November 12,2019.
Old Mar 21, 20, 12:10 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If your spending is under the limit, you do not get the bonus.

If you think you will still be short, charge some more stuff. Even something you might cancel months from now (not usually advised - but keep yourself away from sob stories)
Old Mar 22, 20, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
I have no idea what, if anything will be refunded yet, It may end up being a credit to my account like they do with unplayed playoff game tickets.

This refund will also likely occur at least 5 months after the purchase date so it's not like I made a major purchase and returned it on the next billing cycle. I paid for the Tickets November 12,2019.
Based on prior experience (season tickets with two teams), the teams will try hard to get you to take any tickets from cancelled games and apply them to the 2021 season...

We are pretty far away from that being all sorted. I would think linking a credit back to the original is more unlikely as time goes on...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: