Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Amex waive annual fee due to Covid-19?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I am strongly considering downgrading my platinum to Gold,.... to 2x groceries which is very useful right now. (2x gas and restaurants not quite as much).
You must be looking at a description of an older version of the personal Gold card:

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I am strongly considering downgrading my platinum to Gold, my renewal was back in November, so right now I’m not sure it is worth it.

But I have no travel plans for the Summer, and I can compare that to 2x groceries which is very useful right now. (2x gas and restaurants not quite as much). SkyClub access is useless, I already earned Marriott Gold last year, don’t stay too many places where Hilton Gold means anything, etc.

We shall see where this all goes.
Groceries is 4X, not 2X. Restaurants is also 4X on the Amex Gold card.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat, AMEX Plat
I just called and no luck. The only thing CSR told me they could do was protect my account for a month if I could not pay.

I'll try to call back and see if I can downgrade. My renewal was back in September.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
I rely on my Amex Plat for DL SkyClub access and the other travel perks, which may not have much use the rest of 2020. Without use of these perks, I cannot really justify the AF.
Realistically, what are my options and which product is AMEX likely to offer me as a downgrade? Can I easily move back "up" into an Amex Plat after a year?
How does this all work with hard pulls, MR point balance, sign up bonus eligibility?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdix
CSR is giving a $100 statement credit effectively rolling back the increase to $550
Pay $550 for benefits you cannot use???
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ktscott01
I just called and no luck. The only thing CSR told me they could do was protect my account for a month if I could not pay.

I'll try to call back and see if I can downgrade. My renewal was back in September.
Would that be reported to credit agencies?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:22 am
mia

There are two downgrades from American Express personal Platinum:

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2k-spend.html

The Membership Rewards account is not affected. There is no credit inquiry because it is the same account, just a different set of features and fees.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by mia
There are two downgrades from American Express personal Platinum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-2k-spend.html

The Membership Rewards account is not affected. There is no credit inquiry because it is the same account, just a different set of features and fees.
Thanks. A few follow up questions -
1) How does re-entry work into the Platinum card from Gold/Green if say, in a year I want to move back?
2) How does the AF work in case of a downgrade? I renewed in November 2019 and paid the fee for my card +2 additional users. Do I get a prorated return on that fee I paid or not? Do I owe an AF for the new gold/green card for example?
3) Am I eligible for any sign-up bonuses for the Green/Gold?

Last edited by woodford02A; Apr 7, 2020 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Right, though you could just get AMEX Blue or AMEX Everyday as a no-fee credit card and dump the charge card- and you're not setting on fire any ability to participate in MR or preserve your point balances like you are if you dump all the UR earning options (all of which require a card with an annual fee- you're cashback only if you're just Freedom/Freedom Unlimited).
For MR purposes, the Everyday allows points transfers to travel partners while last I checked, the Blue doesn't, and the Everyday is also 2x on groceries.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by beachmouse
.... Everyday allows points transfers to travel partners while last I checked, the Blue doesn't, ...
There are several Blue cards. Blue Business Plus earns 2X on everything (capped at $50,000/year) -and- includes airline and hotel partner transfers.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
You could downgrade to Blue Delta to preserve credit line and history. Each Delta product is separate for new account bonus purposes, you can apply for any personal or business version that you have not previously held.
Ive had this Amex Delta Plat card for 20 years...was told I could only downgrade to Gold for $99 and not to the fee free Blue card. Is that possible? Why wouldn't everyone be able to downgrade to that card? I did it, but will probably cancel that at some point, too.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by woodford02A
3) Am I eligible for any sign-up bonuses for the Green/Gold?
No sign up bonus when downgrading, but you could be invited to earn an upgrade bonus when they think you might be interested in Platinum again.

When you downgrade (or upgrade) the system bills you the fee for the new card and issues a pro-rated credit for the old card. The details seem to vary depending on how close you are to your renewal date, but the end result is the same. Be patient, it may not all happen simultaneously.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
....told I could only downgrade to Gold ....
Whenever a frontline customer service agent, at any company, tells me something that doesn't sound right I call again, Unless you were told this more than once I doubt that it is correct, UNLESS you have a Business card. .

Last edited by mia; Apr 7, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Whenever a frontline customer service agent, at any company, tells me something that doesn't sound right I call again, Unless you were told this more than once I doubt that it is correct, UNLESS you have a Business card. .
It took me an hour to get on the phone so wasn't in the mood to call back, but good point. When I asked if a supervisor could intervene, she said they see the same information. But, you're right, I should not really trust them on the first try.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska Airline
Just got off the call with Amex retention team, I was offered 30k MR after spending 4k in 3 months. And I took the offer, because I have big spending coming up in the next few months.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by airforjoey
Just got off the call with Amex retention team, I was offered 30k MR after spending 4k in 3 months. And I took the offer, because I have big spending coming up in the next few months.
Not a bad offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.