Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extra 3 months to complete Signup Bonus for USA cards opened 12.2019 - 5.2020

Old Mar 15, 20, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold

I'm curious if anyone has requested extra time to complete the spending for a signup bonus and what Amex's response has been, given how the global health crisis is affecting travel.

My situation is that I upgraded my Hilton Surpass to Aspire last month. Aspire is a travel card. I planned to satisfy the $4k signup bonus requirement primarily through travel-- Hilton stays and flights. But already I've had to cancel 5 trips through early April due to the Coronavirus situation. No-travel policies and event cancellations may extend further out.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
No, because if it came down to it, I can "manufacture" spend (college tuition payments, rent through Appfolio, utility bills, cable, cell phone, buy groceries on the card, whatever) to hit my 45k points spending 2k in 90 days for my new Green card, nothing remotely hard about it, or anything RAT is going to freak out about like a gift card. I figured the worst case scenario of 100% unbonused spend means this: I am losing $40 I would get on a no-AF 2% cashback card + a $150 AF for 45,000 AMEX points + 2000 points for the spend (it's considerably better than that because I have some bonus spend though). 47,000 AMEX for $190? Done deal. I'd be buying those points all week at that rate.

I wouldn't assume AMEX is going to cut you slack because you don't want to put unbonused nontravel spend on the card. That is kind of what they want you to do- their business model is to try and get NONbonused spend, not just bonused spend. I'd try and figure out IF you can hit the bonus without travel and the bonus + benefits are worth the spend, just doing ordinary expenses. If not, maybe go to them, cancel the Aspire and go back to Surpass?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 15, 20 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Honestly even if someone on chat agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get the bonus and were just told "So-and-so was misinformed".

Do you have any air travel you can book, since with Delta all flights booked in March have no change fees, and vouchers if needed don't go back on the card. UA might be the same?
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
I'm curious if anyone has requested extra time to complete the spending for a signup bonus and what Amex's response has been, given how the global health crisis is affecting travel.

My situation is that I upgraded my Hilton Surpass to Aspire last month. Aspire is a travel card. I planned to satisfy the $4k signup bonus requirement primarily through travel-- Hilton stays and flights. But already I've had to cancel 5 trips through early April due to the Coronavirus situation. No-travel policies and event cancellations may extend further out.
Time to change the plan. Use the card for other purchases.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Sigh. I knew when I started this thread that it was likely to attract condescending responses from people questioning my ability to understand how to use a credit card vs. actually answering the question posed. I had just hoped that the signal to noise ratio would be higher.
kthpence and bgriffin like this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't heard of any bank doing this yet with signup bonus spend deadlines, nor have I heard of many other companies extending deadlines on promotions yet (except for Hilton extending its current stay promotion). Keep in mind that it's only just weeks into it being a serious problem domestically, so that's a bit early for these companies to making these decisions.

So it may depend on if you can escalate to a supervisor and that supervisor is allow to do something specific for you (if it's not a general policy yet). But since that would for you, you'd have to try yourself. So my main suggestion is that if you don't get the response you need from the front-line phone agent (and I don't know if you can escalate on chats, or only on phone calls), escalate to a supervisor, since they might have more authority. The other thing they might do is to open a case and get back to you later on it.

But: You should still move as much spend as you can onto this card in the meantime, to show Amex that your request for an extension is because you can't get there with normal non-travel spending. If they can tell that you've been putting spend on other cards instead (Amex through their internal eyes, or other banks through their constant soft pulls of credit bureaus), they might less likely to extend it for you, while if they can tell that you've already moved all of your spend to this card and it's still not enough, then they may be more likely to extend it for you.

So, you see, the answer may be a combination of hope with a combination of what other people suggested about other ways to do spend. So please don't dismiss the suggestions to use other spend, since that may also help in your extension quest.

Btw, "last month" could mean early or late February. So I can't tell how close to your original deadline you are. Plus, do you even know exactly what your original deadline was (did you ask after you did the upgrade by which date you have to complete the spend)?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:04 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Sigh. I knew when I started this thread that it was likely to attract condescending responses from people questioning my ability to understand how to use a credit card vs. actually answering the question posed. I had just hoped that the signal to noise ratio would be higher.
We're trying to help so you don't get to day 88 and find out you won't get an extension. If you were afraid of "condescending responses" perhaps you should have called Amex instead.
Diplomatico and roberto99 like this.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

I shifted all my spend to this card 2 weeks ago. I know I can call Amex anytime and ask for an extension. I'm checking here to see if anyone is/has been in a similar situation and can offer tips. For example, when seeking retention offers the first answer is often "No", and it takes knowing how to ask properly to get to someone able to answer "Yes".
bgriffin likes this.
Old Mar 28, 20, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Hyatt Explorist, United Premier Silver
I'm almost scared to admit I was hoping for an answer to this as well. I'm trying to work through the $10k Biz Gold SUB and since all of my travel is gone for the foreseeable future and that's 75% of my expenditures (biz and personal combined) it's going to be impossible for me now.
Old Mar 28, 20, 7:11 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
These are not ordinary circumstances, but I doubt there is anyone at American Express who can actually change the formal terms of an offer. However, there are people who can "note" your account and tell you to call back after you have met the spend, and then they could make a "courtesy" adjustment. The end result is difficult to predict, because you have no way of knowing that the note is actually made, or accurately documents the call, ot if the next person will execute, but not much lost in trying if you are able to make the spend with a reasonable extension.
eponymous_coward and sdsearch like this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Hyatt Explorist, United Premier Silver
https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-am...aign=TPGLounge

Due to the impact of COVID-19, for eligible Card accounts approved from December 31, 2019 through May 31, 2020 for which you are eligible for a welcome offer, the period to make eligible purchases to earn your welcome bonus will be extended for an additional 3 months. Eligible Cards are U.S. Consumer and Business Cards issued by American Express National Bank to a Basic Card Member.

Last edited by mia; Apr 2, 20 at 8:59 am Reason: Please review Flyertalk Rule 7
Old Apr 2, 20, 9:05 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Thank you. The original announcement is here, and the eligible dates are different than in TPG article: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...c_viewallcards

bgriffin likes this.
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:03 pm

Darth, just quoting you in case you aren't subscribed to your thread. There's new detail that Amex is offering extensions
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:13 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I wonder if the coveted 100K Amex Plat bonus would be more common later this year if Amex is still hurting for business after the pandemic subsides to some degrees.

LAX
Old Apr 2, 20, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I already knocked out one bonus but this give me more time for my AMEX Hilton.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: