Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to get vendor a check from Amex card? Plastiq.com? Are there others?

Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I am about to do some renovation work with vendor and the vendor does not take credit cards, even if I pay the swipe fee. In this scenario, paying a fee is worth it to me because I am after the Delta MQMs associated with my Delta Amex as opposed to just miles. The spend would be enough for me to get 15,000 MQMs which is a big deal given the way this travel year has started off.

Are there any credible services out there that will mail a check to the vendor and charge my card for it? I have heard of Plastiq so far. Has anyone used them? Credible?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:00 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Klarity7
Hi everyone,

I am about to do some renovation work with vendor and the vendor does not take credit cards, even if I pay the swipe fee. In this scenario, paying a fee is worth it to me because I am after the Delta MQMs associated with my Delta Amex as opposed to just miles. The spend would be enough for me to get 15,000 MQMs which is a big deal given the way this travel year has started off.

Are there any credible services out there that will mail a check to the vendor and charge my card for it? I have heard of Plastiq so far. Has anyone used them? Credible?
Used plastiq to a pay a state tax bill because NC would not take AMEX. Had no issues. Was trying to hit 110K Amex Biz Plt bonus.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Be advised that AMEX severely restricts what can be charged to their cards via Plastiq:

"American Express cards are permitted for the following industries:
  • Government
  • Utilities
  • Education
  • Residential Rent
  • Club Fees & Memberships"
https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/ar...s-Restrictions
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Be advised that AMEX severely restricts what can be charged to their cards via Plastiq:

"American Express cards are permitted for the following industries:
  • Government
  • Utilities
  • Education
  • Residential Rent
  • Club Fees & Memberships"
https://help.plastiq.com/hc/en-us/ar...s-Restrictions
ugg. Thanks! Any other thoughts?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Klarity7
ugg. Thanks! Any other thoughts?
Does the vendor accept PayPal?

Is this the only vendor in the world that provides the product that you wish to purchase?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I know this doesn't answer your question but I'd consider it a red flag if he's unwilling to accept it even with you paying the swipe fee. My pessimist brain says that indicates their work quality/schedule is at enough of risk of a chargeback the vendor doesn't want to risk it.
K7Beach likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Quite the contrary, I would not expect a high end contractor -- if that is what OP is using -- to accept CC's and would associate that more with the guy installing a new sink.

It isn't as though this guy is refusing OP's request, it's that he doesn't take CC's at all. Thus, in order to process the charge, whether OP pays the interchange fees or not, he has to go through the entire sign up process for a vendor, purchase a chipped reader and the like (because it's not likely that a contractor will be eligible for Squared or one of the small sub-vendors).

As to chargebacks, this comes down to region and demand. If the guy is in demand, the first thing he would be told is not to take CC's because it is a hassle and brings out exactly the customers one wants to avoid. That isn't to say that OP is a "bad" customer who is going to nickel and dime a chargeback because there is some minor blemish,

I would focus on quality and price before the CC issue.
K7Beach and WestCoastPDX like this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I know this doesn't answer your question but I'd consider it a red flag if he's unwilling to accept it even with you paying the swipe fee. My pessimist brain says that indicates their work quality/schedule is at enough of risk of a chargeback the vendor doesn't want to risk it.
hi. This makes sense but not in this situation. This company did a excellent job for us a few years ago and did not accept credit cards then either. They just dont take them at all.

I just can stomach a five figure charge without it going toward my MQM target with the travel year this is shaping up to be.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Is this the only vendor in the world that provides the product that you wish to purchase?

Will try that.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

This was my question as well. Im currently redoing one of our residences and convinced one of the contractors who isnt being paid by our GC to set up a PayPal account. He thanked me for the idea recently because other customers are paying him that way.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would double-check the Paypal terms, there may be transaction limits for money transfers. I'm pretty sure Venmo has them (e.g., no more than $2,000 in a rolling 7 day period, or something like that), and I don't *think* Paypal does, but worth reading the fine print.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.