Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay over Time: What is your interest rate?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Pay over Time: What is your interest rate?

I have a Platinum card that I have been putting quite a few large purchases on recently. I must have initiated the "pay over time" option at some point. I was a little surprised at how much interest I was paying every month .....looking at my interest rate it is just under 20%. Ridiculously high. Ridiculous that I initiated the option and not keeping better track of it.

Is the 19%+ interest rate normal for this card option.

Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion; Visa Infinite; Hertz Gold; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold; Kempinski Private Concierge;
Originally Posted by david55
I have a Platinum card that I have been putting quite a few large purchases on recently. I must have initiated the "pay over time" option at some point. I was a little surprised at how much interest I was paying every month .....looking at my interest rate it is just under 20%. Ridiculously high. Ridiculous that I initiated the option and not keeping better track of it.

Thanks.
It seems to be normal, I've got 20.29%, so,
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by david55

Thanks.
I never signed up for it. They seem to be adding it unasked. It seems like they are turning the Platnium Card into a credit card. It shows a limit too. I have never carried a balance but my rate would be 16.74%
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Does this mean that charge cards count toward the 5 Amex credit card limit now?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
16.74% here too. Had the card for a very long time, and sometimes use this feature to carry a balance.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Does this mean that charge cards count toward the 5 Amex credit card limit now?
No. Platinum, Gold and Green are still charge cards. The ability to revolve some charges in an associated, but separate, line of credit does not change them into credit cards. Charge cards have offered these features for decades. Greater visibility now because American Express is now interested in the finance charge revenue.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 10:13 am

Found the 2017 email advertising it. It offered 10,000 MR for opting in and the variable rate was currently set at 19.24%. Not sure what it is now but I never used it.

Can’t remember if I opted in or not, but when the monthly statement shows up, it lists a statement balance and “minimum payment due.”
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:43 pm

New Offer

Just saw a new offer for AMEX’s Pay Over Time.

Special offer of 11.99% for six months, down from a variable 18.24%. It asks you to enroll for this offer.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Mine shows the usual 'No Pre-Set Spending Limit' and no APR. Always paid my balances in full. Would be interesting to know what they would offer though ...
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I've periodically gotten the pay over time offer spam from AMEX (most recently last month) and my rate has always been quoted at prime + 14.99%. I guess I really should sign up for it just to nab the 10k MRs.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat
My normal rate is 16% but have never used pay over time. I see the 11.99% 6 month offer as noted above. Hardly a deal!

always pay in full but would consider Using pay over time if they offered 0% (I know there is a 0% chance they will offer that!) only enrolled because I got 10,000 MR for enrolling.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Ms mia has this offer on Blue Business Plus (credit card):

As a loyal Card Member, you can now enjoy a promotional APR on eligible new purchases on your Blue Business® Plus Credit Card. Say “yes” to a competitive rate and help fund your future business purchases to help free up your bottom line.
Enroll now

Your Exclusive Offer
3.99% APR for 12 Billing Cycles
compared to your current 12.74%
Enrolling has no credit score impact and your promotional APR will apply within 24 hours. After the promotional period, the APR for eligible purchases will return to the standard rate.*

In case you need to carry a balance, why not do so with a lower APR? Enroll your Card today and give yourself the cushion of a promotional APR.

Last edited by mia; Apr 1, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I don't understand, I don't recall ever activating that stuff but it says it's active on my card... disappointed, I didn't even get the 10k bonus for that activation. I saw an APR of 18.24%.I never use the feature personally.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I received an offer few months back for 0% APR. Gladly took them up on it. Was good for 9 months if I recall. Prior to that it had always been in the high teens as others have reported.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I currently was given a promotion for a low rate, I pay off in full, but when offered it, of course I take it.

I believe it expires soon, but am grateful for now, given the uncertainty, if I need to use it it will be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.