Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clawbacks of 2019 reimbursements for REFUNDED airline "fees".

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:05 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Dumbass American Express....

all they have to do is to make air fare purchase (and any other airline purchases) eligible for the credit, then they would not have to waste their time clawing back charges, and customers are happy.

both citi and chase are doing this for their premium cards, why is American Express so stupidly stubborn?
I think the intention for Amex is for people NOT to use it. The less people use the reimbursement, the more it goes to Amex's bottom line. As far as pissing people off by clawing back the credits, may be Amex is targeting those that it is losing money on. If the card holders are not profitable, does Amex really care that they are pissed off?

LAX
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
I think the intention for Amex is for people NOT to use it.
I understand this interpretation, but I disagree. American Express pioneered this benefit. Chase and Citi imitated it. It's typical that the imitators had to try to differentiate themselves by making their reimbursements bigger and easier. If American Express were to match them, there would be another round of changes. Good for consumers in the short run, but unsustainable, and the reimbursements would vanish. Chase and Citi have made their reimbursements too easy to use - they are indistinguishable from a price reduction. American Express' benefit requires planning to use. Marketers call this "engagement", and increasing engagement with the brand is what they are paid to do.

Clawing back reimbursements does not increase engagement, but clawing back a FEW reimbursements and using bloggers to publicize it can be a good way to put people on notice that practice will be more closely aligned with policy.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I understand this interpretation, but I disagree. American Express pioneered this benefit. Chase and Citi imitated it. It's typical that the imitators had to try to differentiate themselves by making their reimbursements bigger and easier. If American Express were to match them, there would be another round of changes. Good for consumers in the short run, but unsustainable, and the reimbursements would vanish. Chase and Citi have made their reimbursements too easy to use - they are indistinguishable from a price reduction. American Express' benefit requires planning to use. Marketers call this "engagement", and increasing engagement with the brand is what they are paid to do.
Well, nobody said the marketers need to be in charge of all the benefits!

I believe when Amex pioneered this benefit it was because of the loss of Admiral's Club privileges (which followed not long after the loss of Continental Presidents' Clubs after the UA merger), so the idea was you could use the credit to partly fund another club membership (and at the time it probably covered a good % of the membership). But they also broadened it to include other ancillary fees like checked bags, seating fees, and snacks on board. And then of course Chase/Citi imitated and one-upped them, and for whatever reason Amex didn't respond on that specific item.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
....when Amex pioneered this benefit it was because of the loss of Admiral's Club privileges (which followed not long after the loss of Continental Presidents' Clubs after the UA merger), so the idea was you could use the credit to partly fund another club membership (and at the time it probably covered a good % of the membership).
Correct, and the benefit can still be used that way for the airlines which operate lounges: AA, AS, DL and UA.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mia
Correct, and the benefit can still be used that way for the airlines which operate lounges: AA, AS, DL and UA.
And HA which has 5 lounges.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: AMEX plat
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2010562-clawbacks

Has anyone had their Amex $200 reimbursement clawed back for the refund of a flight that was cancelled under Delta's new coronavirus waiver? Our son's school trip was cancelled (because the school is shutting down) -- the flights were purchased on March 1st for travel next week, which falls within the fee-free cancellation guidelines. I had purchased these flights using a gift card and Amex, with Amex reimbursing me part of the fare. If Delta refunds my purchase to the Amex card, will Amex claw back $200? I also used 2019 Amex credits in December 2019 towards the purchase of tickets for an elderly family member for mid-March -- she has been forbidden by her doctor to travel, and the flight does fall within the new cancellation waiver -- will I lode those credits?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by QuoVadi
Has anyone had their Amex $200 reimbursement clawed back for the refund of a flight that was cancelled under Delta's new coronavirus waiver? Our son's school trip was cancelled (because the school is shutting down) -- the flights were purchased on March 1st for travel next week, which falls within the fee-free cancellation guidelines. I had purchased these flights using a gift card and Amex, with Amex reimbursing me part of the fare. If Delta refunds my purchase to the Amex card, will Amex claw back $200? I also used 2019 Amex credits in December 2019 towards the purchase of tickets for an elderly family member for mid-March -- she has been forbidden by her doctor to travel, and the flight does fall within the new cancellation waiver -- will I lode those credits?
Delta is not refunding anything according to this. The best you can do is book a new flight for this year (option 3) https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...tes#marchapril
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia

Clawing back reimbursements does not increase engagement, but clawing back a FEW reimbursements and using bloggers to publicize it can be a good way to put people on notice that practice will be more closely aligned with policy.
Sometimes, I think you are an AMEX employee dedicated to evangelizing the brand, mia !!! But great piece of opinion. I think it's spot on.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Do we know if the clawbacks have been in the cases of "obvious" transactions, i.e transactions where folks have bought tickets only to trigger credits (on pet fee, luggage charges etc) and then cancelled the tickets in 24 hours. In such cases the actual transaction, amex credit and the refund will all post within the same billing cycle (or atleast just a few days apart) and so it would be somewhat obvious that it was just to trigger the credit. That's different from folks who had legimate transactions that triggered a credit but then due to various reasons (like this coronavirus) had to cancel it at a later time.

Some data points on "clawback types" would be useful
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by libralibra
Delta is not refunding anything according to this. The best you can do is book a new flight for this year (option 3) https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...tes#marchapril
Not correct. If Delta cancels the flight, you should be entitled to a refund to original form of payment. From your link, "In the event your selected flight is canceled by Delta, we will contact you with additional information." They will presumably try to re-accommodate or re-schedule you, but they will also refund you if that's your preference.

That said, I don't have a ton of sympathy for people having credits clawed back that were in violation of the terms of the program in the first place. There would normally be little to no reason for a "legitimate" reimbursement to be refunded. Only one I can really think of is an extra legroom seat that is refunded because you couldn't be accommodated due to flight change or something. *Maybe* a checked bag fee if the airline loses/delays your bag. But that would happen in the same or next statement, not months later, so you would have time to re-use the credit.

Originally Posted by arshi007
Some data points on "clawback types" would be useful
Yeah, I don't think we have a single data point...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by libralibra
Exactly, at this is probably the outcome we want - DL to issue an eCredit rather than a refund to the CC used to purchase the non-GC portion of the ticket. Refunding back to the CC may trigger the clawback.

This is contingent on the pax cancelling the ticket before DL cancels the flight. If the flight is cancelled, I believe they would refund back to the CC.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Not correct. If Delta cancels the flight, you should be entitled to a refund to original form of payment. From your link, "In the event your selected flight is canceled by Delta, we will contact you with additional information." They will presumably try to re-accommodate or re-schedule you, but they will also refund you if that's your preference.

That said, I don't have a ton of sympathy for people having credits clawed back that were in violation of the terms of the program in the first place. There would normally be little to no reason for a "legitimate" reimbursement to be refunded. Only one I can really think of is an extra legroom seat that is refunded because you couldn't be accommodated due to flight change or something. *Maybe* a checked bag fee if the airline loses/delays your bag. But that would happen in the same or next statement, not months later, so you would have time to re-use the credit.

Due to plane changes we have had two sets os MCE seats refunded to two different cards after the credit was already credited. I too am worried that they will think it was done intentionally and would have called in to see what to do but with the whole Covid thing, the phones are packed and I don't need to be one more person tying them up. I would hope they are a bit more reasonable since some of these were obviously not done intentionally to trigger credit and get redund but yes I am in the back of my mind worried that amex will do something against me for something I had no control over and did not do on purpose.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by miadukes
Due to plane changes we have had two sets os MCE seats refunded to two different cards after the credit was already credited. I too am worried that they will think it was done intentionally and would have called in to see what to do but with the whole Covid thing, the phones are packed and I don't need to be one more person tying them up. I would hope they are a bit more reasonable since some of these were obviously not done intentionally to trigger credit and get redund but yes I am in the back of my mind worried that amex will do something against me for something I had no control over and did not do on purpose.
I am in a similar situation. Flight refunded back to original payment method. I asked a rep what would happen to the credit, and he said it would be reversed in two weeks and be re-usable, but I seriously doubt that.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Again, see post 24, although it hasn't been updated further:

Originally Posted by jackkyxu
I have a DP here for you to judge

I have two E+ purchase using Amex with each more than $100 and I put it on the Gold

the first one was cancelled and refunded because the Air travel ban

I got clawback, and I feel Amex should credit me the second purchase
There was another post earlier where it was mentioned that DPs from other websites suggest the clawbacks were all or mostly E+ refunds.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 2:31 pm

With all the flight cancelations due to Covid19, people would rather receive a full refund on credit card than a voucher for future use. But for those who used the Amex credit for tickets, they would be the few that would welcome the voucher over a refund.
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.