Options for downgrading Platinum personal card

Old Feb 21, 20, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Options for downgrading Platinum personal card

Hello

I won't be using the Amex Platinum (Personal) card much this year so looking to downgrade/cancel...can you provide insights to the below questions?
  1. Is it better to DOWNGRADE Platinum to a no fee card (e.g. Everyday) or OPEN and new no fee card, TRANSFER MR points to this new card, and then CANCEL Platinum?
  2. What are the best options (cards) for #1 ?
  3. If I transfer Platinum MR points (I have about 350K points) to Everyday MR points, do these get devalued? Or is it the same portal with same transfer partners?
Old Feb 21, 20, 7:40 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by jdseo327 View Post
Is it better to DOWNGRADE Platinum to a no fee card (e.g. Everyday) or OPEN and new no fee card, TRANSFER MR points to this new card
There is no option to downgrade from a charge card (Platinum) to a credit card (Everyday). You must apply. There is no transfer of points from one card to another. Your new card should be automatically linked to the same Membership Rewards account, and nothing changes when you close the Platinum card.

Blue Business Plus is better than Everyday.

When did you open the Platinum card? Do not, under any circumstance, close it before 12 full months.
Old Feb 22, 20, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by mia View Post
When did you open the Platinum card? Do not, under any circumstance, close it before 12 full months.
Absolutely this!
Old Feb 22, 20, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Gold, H Expl, Accor Silver
Does cancelling the day after the annual fee posts guarantee that itís 366 days/no clawback?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: