Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's a reasonable expected value for domestic MR redemption?

Old Feb 9, 20, 12:19 am
Original Poster

MR commonly seem to be valued at 1.5-2.0cpp, but that usually appears to assume redemption for business or first class overseas airfare. I'm not sure if that also assumes a transfer bonus was earned. Typically I would be traveling short/medium from FLL or MIA to various roller coaster parks, and occasional transcons to the SF Bay Area or LA to visit friends (and take in Magic Mountain and California's Great America, of course).
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:59 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM
I've gotten 3.7cpp on MSP-MCO. I'm looking at 2.2 for CONUS-EUR. and 1.3 for a work trip ATW-MLB. It appears that the dynamic pricing has changed a lot of redemption values. Also competition. It's 45% cheaper for me to book a flight ORD-MSP-CDG than it is to book MSP-CDG.
Old Feb 9, 20, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP
Iím not quite sure I understand your question, but:

I get $.01/MR when I use the portal for generic economy airfare for my friends on an airline Chase UR doesnít touch.

I get about $.015/mile when I book with Delta (my preferred airline) or business class with any other airline.

I *rarely* transfer MR points. If something pops up, Iím sure people can get over $.02/MR or maybe $.03-$.04/MR occasionally. But I find the juice not worth the squeeze here very often.
Old Feb 9, 20, 9:12 am

I've gotten >1.5cpp (>2cpp w/ transfer bonus) for VS transfers. These were for longer nonstop domestic delta economy flights. Think 25,000 VS miles or $450 cash per ticket.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:20 am

Easy to get > 1.7 c/MR for BA transfers when Amex offer 40% transfer bonus.
Old Feb 9, 20, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by snowmt View Post
Bingo. Transfer to BA when the bonus is in effect.

Iíve gotten 17 cents per point redeeming for last minute coach travel on AA when the fares were high due to advance purchase requirements but the planes were empty so saver space was available. Booking in advance probably wonít result in those kinds of yields, but any time youíre looking at an expensive nonstop short haul flight, itís worth checking the Avios price.
Old Feb 9, 20, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by snowmt View Post
That's great for nonstop or "direct" flights on AA. But since BA charges separately for each flight flown, BA Avios are not so good for connections. Iberia Plus Avios, however, can be very good for connections where the total roundtrip flight distance is under 2,000 flown miles. But Iberia Plus redemptions on AA are completely non-changeable/non-refundable.
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
A ďreasonable valueĒ is a stay you enjoy. Donít go chasing made up number by shill bloggers, use points to support your travel, not travel for the sake of pretending your points are worth something theyíre not.
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
That's great for nonstop or "direct" flights on AA. But since BA charges separately for each flight flown, BA Avios are not so good for connections. Iberia Plus Avios, however, can be very good for connections where the total roundtrip flight distance is under 2,000 flown miles. But Iberia Plus redemptions on AA are completely non-changeable/non-refundable.
So additional segments on BA don't cost extra so long as you don't change planes? That part isn't obvious when it's described as paying points "per segment".

Cool, I didn't know Avios wasn't just a BA thing. Bloggers talking about Avios transfers only mention BA and their apparently frequent 30-40% transfer bonuses. Does Iberia Plus get transfer bonuses too?
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
I've gotten 3.7cpp on MSP-MCO. I'm looking at 2.2 for CONUS-EUR. and 1.3 for a work trip ATW-MLB. It appears that the dynamic pricing has changed a lot of redemption values. Also competition. It's 45% cheaper for me to book a flight ORD-MSP-CDG than it is to book MSP-CDG.
I've noticed airlines like to charge premiums for nonstops, however nonsensical that may be. This isn't much different from two-segment fares being cheaper than nonstops to the middle destination.
Old Feb 9, 20, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Iíve gotten 17 cents per point redeeming for last minute coach travel on AA when the fares were high due to advance purchase requirements but the planes were empty so saver space was available. Booking in advance probably wonít result in those kinds of yields, but any time youíre looking at an expensive nonstop short haul flight, itís worth checking the Avios price.
I'm surprised all the airlines haven't gone to revenue-based points redemption like JetBlue, which scales the points cost with the cash cost, because it makes finding outsized value impossible and thus implicitly devalues points.
Old Feb 9, 20, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I'm surprised all the airlines haven't gone to revenue-based points redemption like JetBlue, which scales the points cost with the cash cost, because it makes finding outsized value impossible and thus implicitly devalues points.
They're moving in that direction. But at that point thereís no real point to putting spend on an airline credit card when you can just get a 2% cash back card with $0 AF and use that cash anywhere instead of being locked into airline funny money. And since airlines earn far more profit selling miles to CC companies than they do from flying planes, they have to boil the frog slowly.
Steve M likes this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
So additional segments on BA don't cost extra so long as you don't change planes? That part isn't obvious when it's described as paying points "per segment".

Cool, I didn't know Avios wasn't just a BA thing. Bloggers talking about Avios transfers only mention BA and their apparently frequent 30-40% transfer bonuses. Does Iberia Plus get transfer bonuses too?
A direct or "through" flight costs the same as a nonstop flight when booking with Avios.

Typically, when Amex offers a transfer bonus to BAEC they also offer an equivalent transfer bonus to Iberia Plus. But it doesn't really matter: those who have both a BAEC account and an Iberia Plus account can freely transfer Avios between the two accounts, as long as:

1) each account has been open for at least 90 days; and

2) each account has been "funded" with at least one earned Avios. Avios from surveys, Amex point transfers, etc., count as "earned" Avios.
Old Feb 9, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP
I've noticed airlines like to charge premiums for nonstops, however nonsensical that may be. This isn't much different from two-segment fares being cheaper than nonstops to the middle destination.
How is it nonsensical??

I will always pay a premium for a non stop.
Why would an award be different?
Kacee and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Feb 9, 20, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX View Post
How is it nonsensical??
In the post I quoted, ORD-MSP-CDG was cheaper than MSP-CDG. The nonsense (which has been going on for decades) is obvious. The usual presentation of this is A-B-C is cheaper than A-B, but we all know if you stop at B the airline likely won't honor the B-A portion of your trip.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: