Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I get the AmEx Platinum 35% points rebate if one leg is coach?

Old Feb 7, 20, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I tried searching via FT search and on Google, but couldn't find an answer. Apologies in advance if this has already been answered.

I'm pricing 2 tickets on amextravel.com from the US to Europe.

I selected business class, and it returned a set of discounted itineraries.

The one I'm eyeing is RDU-PHL-PRG, with a BUD-PHL-RDU return.

Despite selecting business class in the dropdown, the RDU-PHL leg on the outbound is in coach, and the other 3 legs are in business.

If I buy with MR points at the discounted price (about 10% off), will I get 35% of the points back as a rebate (even though one of the 4 legs is coach)?

TIA
Old Feb 8, 20, 8:03 am

A few years ago, the answer was that if any single leg was in business, that was enough to qualify. But I haven’t had this situation in a while.
Old Feb 11, 20, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Sounds like this is a corner case that no one has experience with. Iíll wait a bit longer then call AmEx.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:00 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
If the ticketing carrier is the same as the one you selected for the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit the class of service should not matter. Is the portal suggesting coach for the RDU-PHL segment because the airline codes it as First Class? You might solve that by booking on the telephone.
Old Feb 11, 20, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
If the ticketing carrier is the same as the one you selected for the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit the class of service should not matter. Is the portal suggesting coach for the RDU-PHL segment because the airline codes it as First Class? You might solve that by booking on the telephone.
No, it is not the same carrier. My $200 benefit is on AS, and this itinerary is on AA.

But does the 35% points rebate only apply to the carrier that I selected for the $200 benefit?

I didn't think there was any relationship between those 2 benefits.

Update: Ah, scratch that. I Googled this and see that if they were the same airline, the 35% points rebate would apply to coach as well.

Last edited by pl804; Feb 11, 20 at 12:58 pm Reason: Updated info.
Old Feb 11, 20, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I had this exact scenario recently and I DID get the 35% rebate. You should be fine.
pl804 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 20, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Valveking View Post
I had this exact scenario recently and I DID get the 35% rebate. You should be fine.
Awesome - thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: