Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Gold Business - Miles Clawback After Refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I earned 70,000 Delta miles after hitting a $4,000 spend on my Delta Gold Business card at the start of this year (points were deposited on 1/1). One of the purchases that I made to hit the $4,000 mark was a China Eastern airline ticket. The flight was scheduled for next week but was just cancelled due to the plague virus outbreak in China. I am expecting to get a refund through to my credit card as a result.

With the refund, I'll be about $1,100 short of the $4,000 threshold. Would Delta / AMEX claw back the miles in this case? My three month bonus period ended at the end of January. Would it make a difference if I charged an additional $1,100 even though the three month bonus period has ended?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Would it make a difference if I charged an additional $1,100 even though the three month bonus period has ended?
It would show your good faith in case a question every came up. Most people do that in that situation.

So I would say that you may reduce your chance of having a problem if you "make up" the spending now even though it's long after the original signup bonus spend period.

I think case of mass flight cancellations (many initiated by the airline, not by the purchaser) due to this disease outbreak is so unusual that there we have no idea how anyone will react. But it's always more prudent IMHO to proactively "show your good faith".
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
If you haven't used the card since hitting your minimum spend, I'd say you're going to look like the sort of customer the Amex RAT are going after. I'd probably spend the $1100 and maybe in multiple transactions instead of a tax payment or any thing else that can be interpreted as MS.
mary mary likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:31 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
One of the purchases that I made to hit the $4,000 mark was a China Eastern airline ticket.
If this transaction happens to be one that crossed the $4,000 threshold it was flagged, and the refund will almost certainly be noticed. Otherwise it may, or may not, trigger an audit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.