Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome Offer not associated with account

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Welcome Offer not associated with account

I applied in early January for the Delta Skymiles Platinum Card. The welcome offer that was available was for 75K bonus miles, 5K MQM and a $100 statement credit. I have a screenshot of my application at step 2 (the step after you have filled out your application where the website has you read the terms and conditions, displays the associated offer and then gives you the option to submit the application). After I submitted the application I was told the application needed to be reviewed further and I received an email with a reference number. I think this was because I had a freeze on my credit reports. I lifted the freeze and called in a few days later and the application was approved over the phone. When I received the card in the mail there was no mention of the welcome offer. I contacted Amex via chat and was told that there was no welcome offer associated with my account. The chat representative said the matter would be referred for further investigation. I just checked with Amex. The representative told me that the initial investigation had not located a welcome offer and the representative was escalating the matter. They told me that it might take 6 to 8 weeks for the matter to be resolved. The representative indicated they did not need a copy of my screenshot or reference number. Should I be particularly concerned about this? I am getting close to the 30 day point where i could cancel the card and (I think) not incur the annual fee.

Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
You’re betting $195 on getting 75k miles. If you can justify the annual fee without the bonus I’d keep it to see things out. If not I’d cancel since AMEX generally is not good about coming through with sign up bonuses. Keep in mind, you’re now locked out of the bonus on this card unless you get a targeted no lifetime language offer so you can’t just cancel and reapply.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by jags86
If not I’d cancel...
That would virtually guarantee bonus ineligibility on all future Amex cards.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Perhaps, perhaps not. AMEX may be stingy with bonuses now but all it takes is one nice recession to get this companies begging for business.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Perhaps, perhaps not. AMEX may be stingy with bonuses now but all it takes is one nice recession to get this companies begging for business.
OP can keep the card for a year, or hope that your scenario plays out, while in the meantime being locked out of Amex signup bonuses. Personally, I would encourage OP, in the strongest possible terms, to ignore your advice to cancel the card. The big picture Amex repercussions are not worth the $195 saving.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
amex doesnt want you to get bonus and cancel but why would they blacklist anyone for simply getting a card and then canceling?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
....why would they blacklist anyone for simply getting a card and then canceling?
It is in the offer terms. American Express is a mass market company. They use computer algorithms to evaluate applications and accounts. They are not interested in individual circumstances.

If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus miles to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us.
pallhedge likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't put any weight in what the chat rep said. Also I don't think Amex ever mentions the welcome bonus in the approval letter, at least I've never seen it in any of mine. I'd be willing to bet that if you finish the minimum spending in the time required, you'll get the sign up bonus. Also as pallhedge mentioned, no good will come from closing an Amex card in the first month or two, now with the no bonus popups and the language mia highlighted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.