amex baggage insurance

Old Jan 23, 20, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
amex baggage insurance

Anyone ever used this?

I have a Rimowa bag that was damaged by JetBlue. Looks like it was dropped from the aircraft belt. Bashed corner and one of the hinges is slightly lifted causing the bag seam not to sit flush. It is polycarbonate

I filed a claim with JetBlue and they are requesting that I send the bag to a repair facility. I wonder if they can actually fix it. It obviously is an expensive bag and I don't want a second rate repair.

while that is sitting in limbo, is it possible to have the bag repaired by Rimowa or replaced with the Amex insurance ? I did buy the ticket with the proper Amex card
Old Jan 23, 20, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would always take the private option if it is available. Much prefer to choose the repair facility (which might even be local) and be reimbursed. Just make sure of your coverage limits and any requirements, e.g., that you submit a written estimate first. If you stick to the rules, you will do fine with Amex.
tfred likes this.
Old Jan 23, 20, 2:25 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by tfred View Post
is it possible to have the bag repaired by Rimowa or replaced with the Amex insurance ? I did buy the ticket with the proper Amex card
Without knowing which card, I cannot be sure I am looking at the correct terns, but note this language:

Proof of Loss must be submitted to Us within sixty (60) days; however, failure to do so
will not invalidate a Claim or reduce any available benefit if it can be shown that it was
provided as soon as reasonably possible. Examples of Proof of Loss We may require:
1. an inventory list of items that are being claimed;
2. itemized store receipts for claimed inventory (if available);
3. itinerary with Eligible Card charged, breakout of fare (taxes, miles/points redeemed)
and travel dates;
4. for checked-in Baggage Claims -
a. written report of the Baggage Loss filed with the Common Carrier; and
b. settlement or denial of the Baggage Loss filed with the Common Carrier.
I read this to mean that American Express will not do anything until after the airline has finished processing your claim, which means you need to comply with JetBlue's request.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: