FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2005643-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit.html)

gooselee Jan 2, 2020 10:38 am

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 31900261)
Ask and you shall receive.

If I don't use the $15 credit this month, I will roll it over again and the $35 "Uber Credit" with no expiration date will increase to $50.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f7494e4169.png

This screen only shows Uber Cash amounts that have been added to your account over time. Please tap on that left arrow to show the screen with your current balance - that will be where you can actually tell what is left and available for you to use (probably some combination of the Amex Benefit, a leftover balance, and the $8.95 purchase + bonus you bought; less any rides/Eats you've consumed).

Also, when I look at this in my app, the monthly Amex credits are clearly labeled as "Amex Benefit" and are deposited on the last day of each month. The $35 "Uber Credits" entry you have almost looks like a one-off addition for something and not the normal Amex benefit.

There may be something unique about your account that resulted in $35 being deposited via a non-expiring method, but I would not count on the Amex credits continuing to carry over from one month to the next. That is not how it's supposed to work and is definitely not how it's working for pretty much everyone else.

Statman Jan 2, 2020 10:44 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31900377)
Also, when I look at this in my app, the monthly Amex credits are clearly labeled as "Amex Benefit" and are deposited on the last day of each month. The $35 "Uber Credits" entry you have almost looks like a one-off addition for something and not the normal Amex benefit.

There may be something unique about your account that resulted in $35 being deposited via a non-expiring method, but I would not count on the Amex credits continuing to carry over from one month to the next. That is not how it's supposed to work and is definitely not how it's working for pretty much everyone else.

The Amex Uber credit for December has always been $35 because you get $15 from Jan-Nov. ($165 total) with the remaining $35 credited in December.

At the beginning of December, I had an Amex Uber credit of $35 with an expiration date of 12/31/2019. I rolled that over and hence the $35 "Uber Credit" with no expiration date. There is nothing unique about my account at all.

dhuey Jan 2, 2020 10:46 am

Indeed, it would be anomalous for Amex credits to carry over from one month to the next. Some appear to have a trick up their sleeves to achieve this, but it is not how this is supposed to work. Use-it-or-lose-it is the norm.

gooselee Jan 2, 2020 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 31900397)
The Amex Uber credit for December has always been $35 because you get $15 from Jan-Nov. ($165 total) with the remaining $35 credited in December.

At the beginning of December, I had an Amex Uber credit of $35 with an expiration date of 12/31/2019. I rolled that over and hence the $35 "Uber Credit" with no expiration date. There is nothing unique about my account at all.

Yes, I know the December credit is $35.

1. What is your actual Uber Cash balance, right now? As it shows on the screen before the one you posted?

2. My Uber app shows a $35 "Amex Benefit" credit which was deposited on 11/30, and would have expired on 12/31 if I hadn't used it. The fact that yours appears as "Uber Credit" rather than "Amex Benefit" itself indicates that there is something different about either your account or the way that your December credit posted.

3. Out of curiosity, why did you buy and extra $8.95 in Uber Cash if you have so much Amex credit rolling over month to month? That doesn't really seem to make sense.

I don't mean to doubt you here, but what you are reporting is indeed an anomaly from what everyone else is experiencing. So it would be very interesting to understand exactly what is going on.

gooselee Jan 2, 2020 11:05 am

Statman , seeing your version of these screens would be helpful.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...94c31c3284.png

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d066a4bc7.png

Statman Jan 2, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31900454)
Yes, I know the December credit is $35.
1. What is your actual Uber Cash balance, right now? As it shows on the screen before the one you posted?

2. My Uber app shows a $35 "Amex Benefit" credit which was deposited on 11/30, and would have expired on 12/31 if I hadn't used it. The fact that yours appears as "Uber Credit" rather than "Amex Benefit" itself indicates that there is something different about either your account or the way that your December credit posted.

3. Out of curiosity, why did you buy and extra $8.95 in Uber Cash if you have so much Amex credit rolling over month to month? That doesn't really seem to make sense.

I don't mean to doubt you here, but what you are reporting is indeed an anomaly from what everyone else is experiencing. So it would be very interesting to understand exactly what is going on.

1. $59.45.

3. I put in actual cash in my Uber Cash account earlier in 2019 to take advantage of the 5% discount you get when you add certain denominations. The $8.95 is what remains even after rolling over my monthly Amex Uber credit when I don't use it.

I use Uber or Lyft about 10 times a month so rolling over the credit just isn't going to cut it. I could just charge it to my credit card, but since I Uber or Lyft monthly, I'd rather add cash and receive the 5% discount.

gooselee Jan 2, 2020 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 31900488)
1. $59.45.

3. I put in actual cash in my Uber Cash account earlier in 2019 to take advantage of the 5% discount you get when you add certain denominations. The $8.95 is what remains even after rolling over my monthly Amex Uber credit when I don't use it.

I use Uber or Lyft about 10 times a month so rolling over the credit just isn't going to cut it. I could just charge it to my credit card, but since I Uber or Lyft monthly, I'd rather add cash and receive the 5% discount.

Makes sense on the Uber Cash side. But this still doesn't explain the origin of the $35 you currently have in Uber Credit and without the transaction history nobody can really tell.

Also, if you're using Uber that much, shouldn't you have exhausted some (or all) of that credit before the payment flips over to your paid Uber Cash?

If your Amex credits are rolling over, that's a real bonus for you. Just to be clear, though, that is not the norm and other people reading this thread should not assume or count on their credits rolling from one month to the next in the same way.

Statman Jan 2, 2020 11:28 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31900531)
Makes sense on the Uber Cash side. But this still doesn't explain the origin of the $35 you currently have in Uber Credit and without the transaction history nobody can really tell.

I thought I had explained it before, but I guess not.

The $35 showing under "Uber Credit" is the December 2019 Amex credit. At the beginning of the December, it showed up (like all Amex credits) on the first line and had an expiration date of 12/31/2019. I had a 50% off Lyft for up to 15 rides for December so I did not have the need to use Uber in December. Therefore, I "rolled over" the $35 Amex credit and it now shows up as a $35 "Uber Credit" without an expiration date.

Again, I am fully aware that the Amex Uber credit is a "use it or lose it credit," but I am telling you that there is a simple way to roll that credit over if you don't intend to use it for a particular month.

Adelphos Jan 2, 2020 11:36 am

Weirdly none of my Amex credits show an expiration date (I buy $300-$500 in Uber Cash a month, so all of the various Amex credits and such are all fungible anyway)

gooselee Jan 2, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Statman (Post 31900549)
I thought I had explained it before, but I guess not.

The $35 showing under "Uber Credit" is the December 2019 Amex credit. At the beginning of the December, it showed up (like all Amex credits) on the first line and had an expiration date of 12/31/2019. I had a 50% off Lyft for up to 15 rides for December so I did not have the need to use Uber in December. Therefore, I "rolled over" the $35 Amex credit and it now shows up as a $35 "Uber Credit" without an expiration date.

Again, I am fully aware that the Amex Uber credit is a "use it or lose it credit," but I am telling you that there is a simple way to roll that credit over if you don't intend to use it for a particular month.

I understand what you are saying occurred in your account, but what some of us are trying to understand is how and why so this thread can be better informed.

1. As my screenshots show, the Amex credits appear as "Amex Benefit" and remain labeled as such permanently. So it is NOT clear that the $35 showing in your account as "Uber Credit" is the same $35 that Amex deposited. The amount makes that seem likely, but we don't know. Also, since you posted in December that you had already "rolled over" your December credit and it was appearing as "Uber Credit", that adds more evidence that the way your particular Amex credit was deposited for December was NOT the standard way the rest of us receive it.

2. The thing some of us are trying to address are your late-December posts advising people to "just roll the Uber credit until you need to use it." This is NOT a feature of the Amex Benefit and thus is not good advice to newer people coming here looking for answers. I think this part if probably where most of the confusion is coming from.

3. The only exception to #2 is if there is a glitch/hack that makes it possible to trick Uber into reclassifying expiring Amex Benefit funds into non-expiring Uber Cash/Credit. But if that's what you're advocating you, I'd ask that you make it exceptionally clear that this is the case - again for the benefit of newer visitors who are coming to this thread specifically because they aren't as familiar with the program and how it is intended to work.

Statman Jan 2, 2020 11:48 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 31900599)

3. The only exception to #2 is if there is a glitch/hack that makes it possible to trick Uber into reclassifying expiring Amex Benefit funds into non-expiring Uber Cash/Credit. But if that's what you're advocating you, I'd ask that you make it exceptionally clear that this is the case - again for the benefit of newer visitors who are coming to this thread specifically because they aren't as familiar with the program and how it is intended to work.

I wouldn't call it a glitch or hack, but yes, there is a simple way to have the Uber app reclassify an expiring Amex Benefit credit into non-expiring Uber Cash/Credit. As I stated earlier in the thread, I am not posting the method for fear of Amex or Uber shutting it down. However, numerous people have messaged me directly and I have explained to them via private message how to roll it over.

For new visitors, I want make it clear that the Amex Uber credit is a "use it or lose it credit" unless you do something to roll it over.

Kinslayers0 Jan 11, 2020 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 29910648)

Looks like I get a pair of clean new undies courtesy of Amex every six months :/

Never used the Uber credit, but Uber Eats just started here in my area and I thought that was maybe a way to get some value out of it.

With Uber Eats, does AMEX pay for the delivery fee and we pay for the food, or does AMEX pay for both the delivery AND the food?

STS-134 Jan 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kinslayers0 (Post 31939199)
With Uber Eats, does AMEX pay for the delivery fee and we pay for the food, or does AMEX pay for both the delivery AND the food?

Works differently from the Saks credit. With Saks, you purchase something and up to $50 of the purchase gets refunded. With Uber, you get a credit every month in your Uber account. You can use it however you want (rides, food, delivery fees, tips) and you don't even have to use the Amex card to pay the bill.

Kinslayers0 Jan 11, 2020 10:40 pm

When I login in Uber Eats I see $15 linked to the account thanks to AMEX,
does that mean I could for example, buy Chinese fried rice, have it delivered for a total of $13.99 (food was $9.99 and delivery was $3.99) so basically everything would be free?

STS-134 Jan 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kinslayers0 (Post 31939221)
When I login in Uber Eats I see $15 linked to the account thanks to AMEX,
does that mean I could for example, buy Chinese fried rice, have it delivered for a total of $13.99 (food was $9.99 and delivery was $3.99) so basically everything would be free?

Yes, although a better option would be to pick it up yourself and avoid delivery and service charges.