FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX reduces credit limit without notice- caveat emptor (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/2004858-amex-reduces-credit-limit-without-notice-caveat-emptor.html)

freebee Jan 17, 2020 11:16 am

AMEX reduces credit limit without notice- caveat emptor

As an 18-year loyal AMEX member who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on my primary card while paying in full, on time, every month, I was shocked to see a credit limit reduction from $20,200 to $11,200 without any notification. Trying to call AMEX and getting any sort of explanation from anyone in authority resulted in several calls filled with fruitless waits on the phone and being told there was no supervisor to address my concerns. I kind of figured out on my own that this reduction had occurred, without my realizing it, when I successfully applied tor a Hilton Aspire card. I don't really need my old credit limit restored on this card, I just don't like the idea that a fast one is being pulled on any cardholders. At least when you get a new Chase card, they tell you they will be moving your credit around. If such a loyal customer is treated so shabbily, all I can say is that AMEX customer service is horrible,

mia Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

Originally Posted by freebee (Post 31962668)
.... reduction had occurred, without my realizing it, when I successfully applied tor a Hilton Aspire card. ....

If I understand correctly ,your credit limit was reallocated, not reduced. You will receive a letter through the postal service. You may be able to adjust the allocation as discussed here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...le-2011-a.html

freebee Jan 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Got the Hilton Aspire in September, never received any letter about the credit limit reallocation. But when I look through old statements, it seems as if the two events coincided. My problem is the lack of proper warning or notice, compounded by being given a total runaround by AMEX customer (dis)service.

camaross Jan 18, 2020 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by freebee (Post 31962668)
At least when you get a new Chase card, they tell you they will be moving your credit around

Not true, I've had Chase move credit limits around without telling me before when approving a new card.

notquiteaff Jan 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by camaross (Post 31967812)
Not true, I've had Chase move credit limits around without telling me before when approving a new card.

I am not 100% sure how to read your message... telling you (asking you if you are okay with it) before they made the credit limits change?

I received a new Chase card this week. It wasn’t an instant approval. Shortly after the card appeared in the app (and I knew it had been approved) I received an email notice:

Dear Customer,

We posted a new notice or letter to your "Statements & Documents" on chase.com.

We approved your credit application

We encourage you to read the entire letter, because it contains specific
information about your account.”

And that notice was the approval and included details about how they reassigned credit from three other cards to be able to open the new account without allocating additional credit.

I believe in the past I received a similar notice by snail mail.

trikotret Jan 18, 2020 10:51 pm

BofA shuffles credit line between credit cards when you apply for new card. It happened to me. They didn't even send me a letter stating that taking some credit from an old card for new card. I just saw both cards Online.

pallhedge Jan 19, 2020 6:51 am

Originally Posted by freebee (Post 31963127)
Got the Hilton Aspire in September, never received any letter about the credit limit reallocation. But when I look through old statements, it seems as if the two events coincided. My problem is the lack of proper warning or notice, compounded by being given a total runaround by AMEX customer (dis)service.

What was the total credit limit extended to you by Amex prior to your Hilton Aspire application and what is it after you were approved?

volabam Jan 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Have a Blue that I hardly use and its limit was cut in half when I was approved for a Delta Skymiles Platinum. Had a net increase in credit limit overall by about a third and received a letter from Amex explaining what they had done. If it weren't for the age of the account, I'd probably allocate as much of the overall limit I could to the Delta card and close the Blue.