Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I did it when UA was ffering a 10% bonus.
Damn it, I missed out on it!
Old May 24, 2021, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
...Travel Bank credit doesn't expire for like 5 years. I'm already halfway to meeting the SUB. If I buy roughly $2500 in credit, I'm done. I'm sure I can probably fly roughly that much over the next 5 years?
When planning extensive travel on UA, make sure you don't overlook the following:
* TB can only be used for payment when all segments are flown on UA metal.
* Confining travel to a single airline may result in higher fares and inconvenient routes.
* Bonus 10% funds expire rather quickly (3~4 months).
notquiteaff, ck8, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
When planning extensive travel on UA, make sure you don't overlook the following:
* TB can only be used for payment when all segments are flown on UA metal.
* Confining travel to a single airline may result in higher fares and inconvenient routes.
* Bonus 10% funds expire rather quickly (3~4 months).
Sadly that is an inconvenient truth.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Hi,
I need to cash-in $200 Amex credit, so from the Wiki, U-Travel bank still work for UA ticket as of now ?

TIA
Old May 24, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ccna101
Hi,
I need to cash-in $200 Amex credit, so from the Wiki, U-Travel bank still work for UA ticket as of now ?

TIA
According to all the people reporting here YES
ccna101 likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
$500, $750, and $1000.

They can be useful for sign-up bonuses.
I can think of far better ways to meet sign up bonuses than giving unsubsidized interest free loans to United.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Honors Gold
Adding another datapoint, using the AMX Corporate Platinum:

Purchase two $100 United Travelbank credits, one right after the other (on a mobile device, if you care) on May 22nd.

Credit was posted for both purchases on May 24th.
Old May 26, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
$500, $750, and $1000.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I can think of far better ways to meet sign up bonuses than giving unsubsidized interest free loans to United.
Such as?

Some of us do not spend very much. My old standby, year-end interest-free loans to the IRS, no longer works after moving back to the CNMI.
Old May 26, 2021, 1:53 pm

Such as?
You picked highly inflexible prepayment that that gets cancelled either after 5 yrs or 18 months of inaction. That is one of the worst choices possible. If you're short on ideas, any other prepayment would've been better (even an airline GC).
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:33 pm

You picked highly inflexible prepayment that that gets cancelled either after 5 yrs or 18 months of inaction. That is one of the worst choices possible. If you're short on ideas, any other prepayment would've been better (even an airline GC).
Does that 18 months of inaction apply for earning/redeeming UA miles or for adding/using Travel Bank funds ?
Old May 26, 2021, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by steve4
Does that 18 months of inaction apply for earning/redeeming UA miles or for adding/using Travel Bank funds ?
As far as this thread, Travel Bank T&C 26:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ravelbank.html
Old May 26, 2021, 3:55 pm

As far as this thread, Travel Bank T&C 26:
I think I read about that somewhere earlier, it’s good to know that 18 months is an important deadline.
Old May 26, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 1374)
$500, $750, and $1000.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post # 1386)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 1388)
Such as?

Some of us do not spend very much. My old standby, year-end interest-free loans to the IRS, no longer works after moving back to the CNMI.
Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post # 1389)
Originally Posted by steve4 (Post # 1390)
The latter.
"Account Activity" shall be deemed to occur when a Member either (a) accrues TravelBank Cash in such Member's account in any manner recognized by TravelBank, including without limitation the use of a United credit card, or (b) obtains a TravelBank Award by the use of TravelBank Cash in the Member's account.
Travel Bank T&C 12,

Using one's UA TravelBank funds every 18 months, or adding to them (even without the AmEx credit) does not seem like a high bar — especially when living on an island 13 miles long with UA the only practical way to leave.

However, I am open to other alternative suggestions to using this UA "target" to meet AmEx sign-up bonuses.
Xyzzy and hhdl like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 8:23 am

Used both Amex Plat and Hilton Aspire and loaded 2x$100 & $250. The credit came one day after the charges were posted. Amazingly fast. Now I feel regretful not trying to search it up and letting my 2020 travel credit wasted.
JPWRana likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The latter.
Travel Bank T&C 12,

Using one's UA TravelBank funds every 18 months, or adding to them (even without the AmEx credit) does not seem like a high bar — especially when living on an island 13 miles long with UA the only practical way to leave.

However, I am open to other alternative suggestions to using this UA "target" to meet AmEx sign-up bonuses.

Of course, we don’t actually know if the TravelBank will remain “open” for additional purchases in the future. As far as I recall, it was closed for quite a while. And T&C can change. Is there anything that would prevent them from making the “use or lose” window smaller?

That said, because of your geographic location you may indeed not have any good options. I can (over-)pay state or federal income taxes by credit card (small fee). I also have a monthly health insurance bill that goes on credit cards without additional fee - $1400 in guaranteed spend. I can buy some Amazon, Uber, Doordash, Netflix and Starbucks credit. My grocery store lets me buy their own store gift cards, so I could prepay some future grocery purchases. There are also airline gift cards available at stores (Delta, SWA, maybe others). Costco recently sold $500 in AS gift card credit for 10% off. Some of those might be available to, especially if you are visiting places off your island.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.