Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Not sure if this is recent enough, but I got my card in January. I made the purchases in late February and the credits posted 3 days after the charges posted.
Originally Posted by gtran26
I'll let you know next week. I was able to select UA as my airline today and card arrives at the end of the week. I don't see any issues.
Thanks for the DP's! I got mine just this week, wanted to make sure the airline credit was still valid because it doesn't mention it anywhere other than the T&C's
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:49 pm

Long story short: UA accidentally charged me 3 times for a single $100 United Travel Bank purchase and refunded me well after AMEX credited me for it. Now I still have an extra $50 airline credit from AMEX that was later refunded by UA.

Has this happened to anyone before? Should I contact AMEX about this so I can attempt to purchase another $50 on UTB and get the last portion of the credit correctly, or should I just ignore it and hope they don't claw it back? I was concerned that they may get suspicious about what I spent the charges on if I have them look into it.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by yung_Pabs
UA accidentally charged me 3 times ... Has this happened to anyone before?
Yes, many times. Start reading posts from ~ Mar.29

... Should I contact AMEX about this ...
No, that would be a terrible idea. Figure out what amount you were supposed to purchase, and ask UA to reverse unintended charges.
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Figure out what amount you were supposed to purchase, and ask UA to reverse unintended charges.
Thing is, I already went through the entire refund process which was a headache, and I was hoping AMEX would just take back $50 of the credit so then I could buy $50 more from UTB and get the last $50 credit without error. I figure if I buy $50 worth of UTB straight up at this point I could still get that $50 from an earlier charge clawed back... May just say screw it and be happy with whatever happens...
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:53 pm

Thing is, I already went through the entire refund process which was a headache, and I was hoping AMEX would just take back $50 of the credit so then I could buy $50 more from UTB and get the last $50 credit without error. I figure if I buy $50 worth of UTB straight up at this point I could still get that $50 from an earlier charge clawed back... May just say screw it and be happy with whatever happens...
If AmEx credited you more than you spent with UA, I'd strongly suggest that you make them whole with a purchase for the difference. If you wait for them to catch up and fix this, it may not be to your liking.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MaxVO
If AmEx credited you more than you spent with UA, I'd strongly suggest that you make them whole with a purchase for the difference. If you wait for them to catch up and fix this, it may not be to your liking.
It's never good to play games with anyone that you want a long-term relationship with.
SPN Lifer, Wyfind and MaxVO like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's never good to play games with anyone that you want a long-term relationship with.
Haha well, this entire thread is dedicated to playing games with the Amex reimbursement system.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:40 am

2x $100 purchased 4/21
Reimbursement posts 4/23
Old Apr 24, 2021, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Amex Platinum
2x $100 purchased 4/20 with reimbursement posting 4/24 but backdated to 4/23
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
You don't need Amex to take back $50 of the credit. Just buy $50 UTB against the extra $50 you already got. This way if/when they audit the charges against credits you will be even.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:58 pm

Has anyone been successful in purchasing on two different Am Express cards and receiving credit?

Last edited by bug.db; Apr 25, 2021 at 1:18 pm
Old Apr 25, 2021, 1:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bug.db
Has anyone been successful in purchasing on two different Am Express cards and receiving credit?
Yes: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33112213-post1234.html
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:34 pm

Purchased 1x$100 on vanilla plat on 4/23, posted 4/26 but backdated to 4/25.

Transaction changed from ticketing to United Houston TX.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by hootyhoo
Thanks for the DP's! I got mine just this week, wanted to make sure the airline credit was still valid because it doesn't mention it anywhere other than the T&C's
Approved Biz Plat 04/21, I was able to enroll in Dell benefit & select UA as airline benefit, received card 04/23. Bought 2x$100 UA TB. 04/26 $200 credit posted.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Travelbank purchases worked for me on personal platinum! $100 x 2
Very happy this credit is finally useful for something... I had/have a constant supply of United Club one-time passes I never used and kept offering to my family members/friends to no avail even pre-covid :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.