Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:30 am

Credit posted today. It was the gold card.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:34 pm

3/2 Purchased $100 on Amex Plat
3/4 Credit posted (updated on 3/5)
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
3/1 purchased 100$ U
3/4 posted credit for 100$
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:09 pm

I think I might have jumped the gun. I made the selection to UA on my brand new Plat and checked the benefits tab to see that UA was indeed the selected airline before making a purchase. Purchased 2 x $100 on 02/22 and have yet to see the needle move or any credit post. Anyone in a similar situation where they purchased immediately after airline selection?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by buildingcredit
.... Anyone in a similar situation where they purchased immediately after airline selection?
Yes, read HERE.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, read HERE.
​​​​​​​Thanks...that must be it. Should have done a test first. $200 mistake, I'm gonna try $50 this time and it should post.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:16 am
mia

.... $200 mistake...
A very small mistake. You have not lost any money, just moved it from your bank account to United's account. it is still yours to spend on UA airfare.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:26 pm

...$200 mistake...
Given a number of DP's of people counting on instant airline selection, I've added a caution to the Wiki. The exact cost of this mistake is unknown. But airline travel funds are certainly less valuable than USD, and may expire worthless. They make sense only in the context of being a bank-paid benefit.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
​​​​​​​Thanks...that must be it. Should have done a test first. $200 mistake, I'm gonna try $50 this time and it should post.
never mind.

Last edited by geclub1; Mar 8, 2021 at 9:27 am
Old Mar 6, 2021, 3:45 pm

Travelbank purchase:
Mar 3 5X Points UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX $100.00
Mar 5 Credit AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$100.00
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: Many
Identical dates here. It is working
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by geclub1
I would not count this as a loss yet. In my case, when my Jan 17 TB load did not auto reimbursed, I chatted with Amex agents around Feb 17, and requested manual credit. Did not get any push back and credits were posted a day or two later.
What did you say the purchase was for? I'm assuming you did not say travel bank because that isn't a qualifying charge for the credit.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by friedablass (Post # 1012)
Either way, unfortunately, the TB option is no longer available and will be missed by many.
Originally Posted by icculus631 (Post # 1018)
I just tried purchasing using travelbank not realizing things had changed, but I notice it coded as a Special Service Ticket which is the same as it was in december when I used last years. It has only posted in the last day so I haven't seen a credit yet but it seems promising.
Originally Posted by icculus631 (Post # 1023)
Success, It posted! showed up exactly 2 days after transaction posted. I only tried $50 so not sure about larger amounts. I'm trying the other portion today.
Originally Posted by friedablass
What did you say the purchase was for? I'm assuming you did not say travel bank because that isn't a qualifying charge for the credit.
TravelBank has indeed been crediting since Post # 1023 above.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by friedablass
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
TravelBank has indeed been crediting since Post # 1023 above.
Indeed, but it has never qualified under the published rules.
Xyzzy and Explore SE Asia like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Indeed, but it has never qualified under the published rules.
Exactly. Travel bank purchases are receiving automatic credits even though they officially don't qualify, which is great. That's why I'm wondering what one might say when requesting manual credit.

I've requested manual credit in the past for other legitimate airline charges that didn't auto credit. For example, Alaska ticket change fee or seat selection fee. I was asked what the charge was for and I responded accordingly and was granted credit.

If one is requesting manual credit for a UA travel bank charge that didn't automatically receive the credit, then I wonder what they responded when asked what the credit is for.

Last edited by friedablass; Mar 8, 2021 at 8:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.