Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Switched credit to United on 2/27, bought $100 credit an hour later or so.
Second $100 purchase on 2/28.

So far (3/1), no credit and the meter hasn’t moved yet either.
Too soon? Has the charge even posted yet?
Old Mar 1, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You're probably right and I'm just being paranoid. Only the first charge has posted so far... Completely forgot to check that.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:23 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Happy to report my DP.
2/25: $100 TB purchased
2/26: charge "posted"
2/28: reimbursement "posted"

I have posted in quotation marks because when I checked the charge on 2/26, it was still pending. But, when I checked on 2/27, it was posted with 2/26 date. The same thing happened with reimbursement. When I checked last night (2/28), it wasn't there (meter had already moved, so I knew it was coming). When I checked tonight, it's there with 2/28 date. I guess it doesn't matter as long as it still works!

LAX
driptoohard likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 10:14 am

My DP (also happy to report):

2/26: $100 (amex platinum)
3/2: reimbursed
3/2: purchased $300 more credits (gold & biz plat) - fingers crossed

I purchased travelbank credits back in January a day after they were recoded and I didn't know it had changed. So I'll have a lot of travelbank credits...
driptoohard likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Warning! I just did 2x $100 to TB on Amex platinum yesterday, so get ready for this to be shut down soon. ;-)
Old Mar 2, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Purchased $50 TravelBank funds with Hilton Aspire on 2/26
Meter moved on 3/1
Credit showed on 3/2

Purchased $100 more on 3/1; purchasing last $100 today; probably have jinxed everything
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:24 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Warning! I just did 2x $100 to TB on Amex platinum yesterday, so get ready for this to be shut down soon. ;-)
So it was you who ruined it for everyone back in mid Jan! And now you are back to crash the party again?

LAX
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:56 am

Purchased travelbank

Feb 25
5X Points
UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX
$100.00

Feb 28
Credit
AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT
-$100.00
GundamWing01 and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by LAX
So it was you who ruined it for everyone back in mid Jan! And now you are back to crash the party again?

LAX
Well, to be fair to me if I ruined it I did it back in December 2020.. so chalk that up to 2020.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Switched credit to United on 2/27, bought $100 credit an hour later or so.
Second $100 purchase on 2/28.

So far (3/1), no credit and the meter hasn’t moved yet either.
Quick update:
3/2 Meter moved by $100
3/3 Meter shows credit is used up, $credit already posted

Guess the other $100 should be credited tomorrow.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:03 am

DP

2/27 Switched from Delta to United via Chat
2/28 Bought 2x $100 TB
3/2 Posted
3/3 Meter says Airline Fee Used Up

I expect the credit to post shortly. There was no indication it was going to work until I Amex updated the rewards of the transaction. Once I saw I was getting 5x on the transaction, the meter filled up.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: BA
Alright, I'm calling AMEX on their bluff. I decided to *gasp* use the airline incidental credit for actual prepaid incidentals.

However, my flight was cancelled for COVID-related reasons and the incidentals were refunded by United.

I contacted AMEX out of good faith asking them to reverse and restore the $200 Platinum credit. They said (on both chat and phone) they couldn't do that but that the credit would stand.

Therefore, I do not want to hear about clawbacks for refunded airline credits. If they clawback, I will push back hard. I tried to have them reverse it, but they wouldn't/couldn't do it.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:32 am

mmm

$50 purchase posted on 03/01, no credit yet. for some reason my meter disappeared from the website i can see the term but no meter or airlines selection. contacted amex they said united is selected and no credit has been used.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tdize
$50 purchase posted on 03/01, no credit yet. for some reason my meter disappeared from the website i can see the term but no meter or airlines selection. contacted amex they said united is selected and no credit has been used.
Is your card a Platinum or Gold? If Gold, the meter has been removed as the benefit is going away after this year and is unavailable to new card applicants.

Regards
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by UAzip
Purchased $50 TravelBank funds with Hilton Aspire on 2/26
Meter moved on 3/1
Credit showed on 3/2

Purchased $100 more on 3/1; purchasing last $100 today; probably have jinxed everything
I did purchase two $100 UA TravelBank credits, one on 3/1 and one on 3/2.
On 3/4 the meter moved showing $100 left in fee credit, with no reimbursement yet.
Today (3/5) both show the reimbursement in the transactions, and the meter now says "You have used all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year. It will renew again starting Jan 2022"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.