Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
This is so going to be RIP this year
Yea gotta get it taken care of asap. My dogs just change their minds all the time. Not my fault.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moe8555
This is so going to be RIP this year
If airlines were smart, they would never give credit card networks and banks ANY level 3 data on purchases. For airlines, this includes itineraries (and I'm pretty sure I've seen UA itineraries pop up on my CC statements, especially with Amex). I think the execs at the large airlines have been caught napping, because the most they could save by giving up this data is 100% of the cost of the interchange fees (if credit card companies reduced their fees to 0% in exchange for it). Except this data is more valuable than any savings they'd get from it, since it tells credit card companies not only where people go, but when they go/what time of day they like to fly and on what routings, and could allow credit card companies to advertise competitor flights to their customers to the detriment of the airline that gave up the data in the first place.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by STS-134
If airlines were smart, they would never give credit card networks and banks ANY level 3 data on purchases. For airlines, this includes itineraries (and I'm pretty sure I've seen UA itineraries pop up on my CC statements, especially with Amex). I think the execs at the large airlines have been caught napping, because the most they could save by giving up this data is 100% of the cost of the interchange fees (if credit card companies reduced their fees to 0% in exchange for it). Except this data is more valuable than any savings they'd get from it, since it tells credit card companies not only where people go, but when they go/what time of day they like to fly and on what routings, and could allow credit card companies to advertise competitor flights to their customers to the detriment of the airline that gave up the data in the first place.
Actually there's more to the story than that. The credit cards also use this data to mark your travel so that if you credit card is suddenly being used 1000 miles from your home, they don't automatically fraud alert coz the itinerary data allows them to feed into their fraud alert system. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just saying there's "convenience for users" and then "benefits to credit card companies". It's all interlinked.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arshi007
Actually there's more to the story than that. The credit cards also use this data to mark your travel so that if you credit card is suddenly being used 1000 miles from your home, they don't automatically fraud alert coz the itinerary data allows them to feed into their fraud alert system. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just saying there's "convenience for users" and then "benefits to credit card companies". It's all interlinked.
Sure, having a CC declined is annoying, but I don't see how avoiding this benefits the airlines. Plus, if you use cards from multiple issuers, this data would only help the situation with a single issuer. There are other was of getting travel information too, for example, if the card was used to reserve a hotel. They don't need to know exactly where, but they will know you are traveling when the card is used at check-in for a sort of hold/deposit on the room. And actually, Chase told me many years ago to just stop giving them travel updates. Seems that they decided it was more costly to process all of these updates than it was to just have an automated system watch my transactions. I have never had a card declined since, even when I book airfares on other cards.

Bottom line though, I see few advantages airlines can gain from handing this data over to the CC companies, and they have a lot to lose if competitors use this data to advertise directly to travelers. And in fact, if UA reinstated the gift registry and stopped giving this data to Amex, they'd have even more captive customers who would have $150-250 per year to burn on UA tickets. They're shooting themselves in the foot here by giving Amex this data.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
With the loss of GCs last year and the like on other airlines, the end of the gift registry, etc. the moral of the story is that if you have a way to maximize the credit in some fashion, do not delay in doing it. Make sure it happens ASAP because could be gone before you know it. I know I am.

Safe Travels
Old Jan 5, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by JetSetDave
Are award cancellation fees ($50 for UA Plat members) currently being reimbursed for 2020? Thanks!
As long as cancellation is greater than 61 days in advance, Plats do not incur a cancellation/redeposit fee:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by 747FC
As long as cancellation is greater than 61 days in advance, Plats do not incur a cancellation/redeposit fee:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticketing.html
Thanks but my flight date is approx 2.5 weeks from now and may cancel due to inclement weather.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by arshi007
IME this would be a good idea but never happens. I've had cards declined because I was somewhere that I was obviously going to (because that card was used to buy a ticket for me to that place). All I can say is, "If nly..."
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Alaska MVP, Hawaiian, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Purchased 4 UA lounge passes on 12/31 on AMEX Platinum and a UA Economy + subscription for spouse + one additional passenger with the Hilton AMEX. Both reimbursed fully for 2019 on Jan 3. Still see the full 2020 amount for both cards.

This year, I am going to try to purchase the Economy Plus subscription for one person only and apply one AMEX reimbursement, wait, then modify the subscription by adding the extra person and paying with the other AMEX reimbursement card and see if this works. We always get the subscriber plus one so I have nothing to lose.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Purchased a $90ish Economy Plus seat in both directions (on an already booked roundtrip) midweek, both got billed separately, and both got reimbursed a few days later, showing up as reimbursed on my HH Aspire card this morning.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AA P; Marriott G; Hertz 5*; Club Carlson G; IHG P;
$49 award taxes didn't trigger credit. On the transaction details I could see the tix# so Amex is definitely getting L3 data from UA.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fenix8o0
.... On the transaction details I could see the tix#....
The presence of a ticket number doesn't prove that it isn't a fee. There is something else in the transaction record that tell them it is a Frequent Flyer related expense.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:19 am

DP

Purchased a $99 Economy+ seat on 1/6/2020. I will report back soon on what happens.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Purchased a $82 Economy+ seat on 1/4/2020. Got reimbursed on 1/7/2020.
Have also purchased a $220 Economy+ seat for an international leg on 1/7/2020. Will report back on that.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
DP: Bought two global wifi subscriptions on 12/28 and 12/29 (one current and one gift), both were reimbursed on 12/31.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.