Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I did this last year, 2x for 100$ each time, credited as 100$ 2x.. maybe this year its changed?
Have you bothered reading the last couple of pages? Travel bank no longer works as of 1/14.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
Travel bank no longer works as of 1/14.
I edited the Wikipost to make this change more prominent.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
One of the reasons that I signed up for Amex Gold card was that I would receive these $100 United Travelbank purchases. I received my card on 12/21/2020. Immediately did the $100. I was going to purchase another $100 on Jan. 1, 2021. But I thought it would look like I was just getting the card for the airline fee reimbursements. So, I waited, I guess too long. United is not my airline of choice. But I want to fly to Merida, MX. United is the best choice. I will still make this trip. But this Gold card is getting canceled. Not worth anything close to the $250 AF. The Gold card is not getting all these extra credits, and if Amex is wise, they better do something about it. I wish, I had applied for the Amex Platinum at the time, but since P2 has one, it did not make sense. As for Amex forcing United to change the coding of the Travelbank purchases, it makes obvious sense that Amex would do just that!
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by not2017
But this Gold card is getting canceled. Not worth anything close to the $250 AF. The Gold card is not getting all these extra credits, and if Amex is wise, they better do something about it.
I’m not sure if Amex wants you as a customer either. They are wise to get rid of the $100 because frankly it’s a hassle to use. I would rather have $240 in dining credits a year.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by friedablass
Have you bothered reading the last couple of pages? Travel bank no longer works as of 1/14.
yeah, I didn’t go back over a week to the posts about 7 pages back.. my bad, sorry I bothered.. you did a good job though.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by not2017
One of the reasons that I signed up for Amex Gold card was that I would receive these $100 United Travelbank purchases. I received my card on 12/21/2020. Immediately did the $100. I was going to purchase another $100 on Jan. 1, 2021. But I thought it would look like I was just getting the card for the airline fee reimbursements. So, I waited, I guess too long. United is not my airline of choice. But I want to fly to Merida, MX. United is the best choice. I will still make this trip. But this Gold card is getting canceled. Not worth anything close to the $250 AF. The Gold card is not getting all these extra credits, and if Amex is wise, they better do something about it. I wish, I had applied for the Amex Platinum at the time, but since P2 has one, it did not make sense. As for Amex forcing United to change the coding of the Travelbank purchases, it makes obvious sense that Amex would do just that!
When I was trying to decide if I should apply for the Gold card in December last year, I did not consider airline credit as of $100 worth. I know by using United travel bank or Southwest trick, one can get the full value reimbursed as a ticket cost, but Amex can always claw back these reimbursements in future. To me, Gold card is very valuable at $250 annual fee, even without considering airline incidental credit. I am getting 20% discount in restaurants upto $250 first year (Resy offer), plus dinning credit of $120 and Uber credit of $120 are easy to use if someone do not stay in remote places. I will probably keep the card for more than a year.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by sabya31
When I was trying to decide if I should apply for the Gold card in December last year, I did not consider airline credit as of $100 worth. I know by using United travel bank or Southwest trick, one can get the full value reimbursed as a ticket cost, but Amex can always claw back these reimbursements in future. To me, Gold card is very valuable at $250 annual fee, even without considering airline incidental credit. I am getting 20% discount in restaurants upto $250 first year (Resy offer), plus dinning credit of $120 and Uber credit of $120 are easy to use if someone do not stay in remote places. I will probably keep the card for more than a year.
For me it was about getting 4 x points on groceries in addition to the dining credits (Grubhub/Seamless and now they added Uber). I wasn't even aware it had an airline incidental credit until well after I signed up, so that $100 was a bonus for me every year.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
yeah, I didn’t go back over a week to the posts about 7 pages back.. my bad, sorry I bothered.. you did a good job though.
My apologies if I came across as offensive, but sometimes people just enter a thread and post without bothering to read the recent past discussion.

FWIW, you wouldn't have to go back 7 pages to see it. Post 946 is the most recent post outright discussing non-receipt of credit for TB purchase which is 4 pages back. Following that there is discussion regarding why the coding for the TB transactions were changed which should have also made it somewhat evident that there is an issue now with these purchases, otherwise I doubt we would have been discussing that.

Either way, unfortunately, the TB option is no longer available and will be missed by many.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by friedablass; Feb 3, 2021 at 9:19 pm
Old Feb 4, 2021, 7:56 am

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...basic-economy/

Says united will have buy up offers from BE to economy (domestic/carribean/mexico)

No PQP earned on buyup, but you get the rest of benefits (premier benefits like e+/upgraded ,seat selection

says it will likely cost more than buying regular economy outright, but wonder if this will get reimbursed by amex (probably not)
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
says it will likely cost more than buying regular economy outright
Why wouldn't you just buy regular economy outright then in the first place? Just wondering.

Unless you were thinking the buy up would get reimbursed, which is the only way it would have made sense to me.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Perhaps some employers require travelling employees to fly Basic Economy. 😮

Or clients will only reimburse up to that amount, and receipts are required.

In concept, this is not much different than upgrading to Economy Plus, Premium Plus, First Class, or Business seats at one's own expense — on a ticket paid for by someone else.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: Iberia Avios, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by paperwastage

says it will likely cost more than buying regular economy outright, but wonder if this will get reimbursed by amex (probably not)

Actually I went ahead about this and I found out that this particular upgrade will code as "service charge".

I ask the community directly: do you think this might trigged the credit?

Last edited by ecate; Feb 5, 2021 at 9:13 pm
Old Feb 6, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ecate
Actually I went ahead about this and I found out that this particular upgrade will code as "service charge".

I ask the community directly: do you think this might trigged the credit?
it 'should'. Just be aware that something these hit the account initially as one thing and then post coded differently
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:12 pm

I just tried purchasing using travelbank not realizing things had changed, but I notice it coded as a Special Service Ticket which is the same as it was in december when I used last years. It has only posted in the last day so I haven't seen a credit yet but it seems promising.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by icculus631
I just tried purchasing using travelbank not realizing things had changed, but I notice it coded as a Special Service Ticket which is the same as it was in december when I used last years. It has only posted in the last day so I haven't seen a credit yet but it seems promising.
Keep us posted
Old Feb 16, 2021, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by icculus631
Please do keep us posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.