Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
... I just feel that reclassifying TB purchases is likely a bad business move unless it's out of UA's control (ie: at the request of Amex).
Many think that's what happened -- AmEx asked UA to make a change that's bad for their business, and UA complied. If we go with this scenario, I'm really curious what kind of leverage AmEx has over UA, and if they promised to do anything in return.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by LAX
I just feel that reclassifying TB purchases is likely a bad business move unless it's out of UA's control (ie: at the request of Amex).

LAX
My question is why an Amex request would be out of UA's control? Amex can request and UA can decide if they want to make the change or not; that doesn't make it out of their control. Since when is Amex their boss and a request from Amex = forcing UA to act on it? At this point it is what it is, but it just makes me wonder.

ETA:

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Many think that's what happened -- AmEx asked UA to make a change that's bad for their business, and UA complied. If we go with this scenario, I'm really curious what kind of leverage AmEx has over UA, and if they promised to do anything in return.
I didn't see this until after I posted my response as I was probably typing while this was posted. But this is essentially my question as well.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 6:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
My question is why an Amex request would be out of UA's control?
American Express is both a card issuer and a network operator. United has a contract with the network operator. If the contract requires transactions to be accurately classified it is straightforward for American Express to ask UA to process TravelBank purchases as gift cards. The same happened at AA. Why is anyone surprised this time?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia
American Express is both a card issuer and a network operator. United has a contract with the network operator. If the contract requires transactions to be accurately classified it is straightforward for American Express to ask UA to process TravelBank purchases as gift cards. The same happened at AA. Why is anyone surprised this time?
Not surprised, just wondering why UA would be amenable to reducing this revenue stream which it most certainly was, even if just an advance on funds for those that fly UA anyway.

I for one prefer flying DL when both airlines are available to my destination and will rarely fly UA. Now with funds in my travel bank I will look to use that first. So UA got cash from me they wouldn't have normally gotten.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MaxVO
Amex could theoretically cut off the ability for UA to accept cards. In most card agreements is something to the effect of "merchant agrees to comply with the reasonable requests of the network". If UA can't accept Amex they are screwed, especially considering how many corporations use Amex.

This is why so many countries, especially the EU, have passed very strong regulations for card networks and regulate them more like utilities than businesses, because they theoretically have unlimited power against merchants.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
can someone tell me if the airline fee benefit can be used in any way now? seems like it is completely useless for someone with no airline status, and usually don't incur any fees at all.
From the wiki-post:

* Checked baggage fees​​​​​ (including overweight/oversize)
* Itinerary change fees
* Phone reservation fees
* FareLock
* Pet flight fees
* Seat assignment fees (E+)
* In-flight amenity ​​​​​​fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
* In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
* Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
* Onboard WIFI
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:24 pm
mia

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
From the wiki-post:

* In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
* Onboard WIFI
I have edited the Wikipost to clarify this inconsistency,
SPN Lifer and eajusa like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia
American Express is both a card issuer and a network operator.
Hold that thought.

Yes - AMEX is both a card issuer and a network operator. In this case - being a card issuer has a potential impact. But just because AMEX is a network operator, it does not mean that AMEX is the payment processor here.

Maybe Chase?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by garykung
Hold that thought.

Yes - AMEX is both a card issuer and a network operator. In this case - being a card issuer has a potential impact. But just because AMEX is a network operator, it does not mean that AMEX is the payment processor here.

Maybe Chase?
Amex is the payment processor, if your volume is over $1MM per year in Amex you have to go Amex Direct which means you have a direct relationship with Amex. Chase may gateway the transaction to Amex but Amex is 100% the processor here and not Chase.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Datapoint: Farelock still coding for the fee reimbursement. Charged $14 fare lock on 1/27/21 and it was reimbursed on 1/29/21.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

I bought $100 in travel bank credit on my platinum on 1/25 and coded as airfare. No reimbursement.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
I bought $100 in travel bank credit on my platinum on 1/25 and coded as airfare. No reimbursement.
Does this charge appear the same as it was before Jan.14, i.e. Special Service Ticket?
CHICAGO O'HARE INT >>> CHICAGO O'HARE INT
Or is it an entirely new code?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by terryversay
I used my own purchase to confirm it. Inflight purchase and Wifi subscription should both quality for 5X and trigger AFC - now that wifi is billed by UA directly (same with AA).
Unless that changed in 2021, there are flights still billed by Gogo. I had three flights on which I bought wifi on Dec 29/30, and only one qualified.

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
From the wiki-post:

* Checked baggage fees​​​​​ (including overweight/oversize)
* Itinerary change fees
* Phone reservation fees
* FareLock
* Pet flight fees
* Seat assignment fees (E+)
* In-flight amenity ​​​​​​fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
* Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
* Onboard WIFI
So as someone who only flies J and is AC*G... Let's see... Change fees are gone, right? I never book over the phone. I would never use FareLock. I don't have pets. E+ and in-flight amenities are useless since I'm in J. Lounge is covered by cabin or *G.

So it just comes back to wifi. But as I said, I'm having really mixed experiences with it actually posting as "United".

These credits don't work for premium travelers.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:19 pm
mia

Originally Posted by canadiancow
.... I'm in J. Lounge is covered by cabin or *G.

....These credits don't work for premium travelers.
Is lounge access included on domestic USA first class flights?
Old Jan 31, 2021, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Is lounge access included on domestic USA first class flights?
as AC *G, yes (to United UC/*A lounge)

as UA *G, no to United UC (unless you have sameday ticket to/from int'l flight), yes to any other *A lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.