Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Come on! Take one for the team :-) I did check the link in the wiki is still active
I just did $800 lol 2 Biz Plat's (triple dipping 1 & closing out soon), MS Plat, Gold & finishing off triple dip for Expedia+. Will post back when credited
Flying Machine and happychic like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:34 pm

AMEX GOLD
12/29 Switched to United on Chat @ 10:30 Pacific
12/29 Got American Express email states "We've Updated Your Selection For The $100 Airline Fee Credit" @ 11:08 Pacific
12/29 Bought $100 travel bank, shows as UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETNG @ 12:14 PM Pacific
12/31 Posted with a date of 12/29 Special Service Ticket:
Flight from CHICAGO O'HARE INT on December 29
CHICAGO O'HARE INT CHICAGO O'HARE INT

01/01 Credit Posted AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT - $100.00 with a post date of 12/31

I can confirm that this credit counted for 2020 and not 2021. My meter is reset for 2021 and says, "$100 Credit Available through Dec 2021"

I would like to thank everybody on this forum for making this possible. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Looks like I will be doing lather, rinse, repeat. This was by far the quickest and easiest way to get this reimbursement. THIS IS THE WAY (Mandalorian)
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by gtran26
I just did $800 lol 2 Biz Plat's (triple dipping 1 & closing out soon), MS Plat, Gold & finishing off triple dip for Expedia+. Will post back when credited
Just did $1,300: 3x biz Plat, 2x Aspire, 1x vanilla Plat. Twelve $100 charges and two $50s that I'm really (really) hoping get reimbursed as fast as they did the other week...
Flying Machine, lax01 and gtran26 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Enterprise Silver
2020 DPs across multiple cards

I received airline fee reimbursements for United TravelBank purchases in December 2020 using three personal AMEX cards (Platinum, Gold, and Aspire). Breakdown is below.

ASPIRE:
December 28 - Purchased $250 at United TravelBank
December 30 - Purchase posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX"
December 31- AMEX airline fee reimbursement posts for $250 (dated December 30)

GOLD:
December 29 - Purchased $100 at United TravelBank
December 31 - Purchase posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX"
January 1 - AMEX airline fee reimbursement posts for $100 (dated December 31)

PLATINUM:
December 29 - Purchased $200 at United TravelBank
December 31 - Purchase posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX"
January 1 - AMEX airline fee reimbursement posts for $200 (dated December 31)

I'll be using my 2021 airline fee credits soon. Thanks to those in this thread who provided DPs for Gold, Platinum, and Aspire cards in December 2020!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thysk
Just put $100 on the card. Let's see what happens. At least it's registered . Now just wait until the meter moves and the credit is posted.
I went straight for the 200 on the Personal Plat, let's see how it goes
Old Jan 1, 2021, 3:36 pm

Still no 2020 credits for me from Travelbank spend and there was no movement on the meter for credit used when I was still able to check that for 2020. I probably shouldn't be worried but I don't think I can bring myself to do this for 2021 until I see 2020 credits post.

Gold:

December 27 - Changed airline incidental benefit from Delta to United via secure message
December 27 - Purchased $100 at United TravelBank

December 29 - Purchase posted as "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX"

Schwab Platinum:
December 27 - Selected United for my airline incidental benefit for the year
December 27 - Purchased $200 at United TravelBank

Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by findthebest
Still no 2020 credits for me from Travelbank spend and there was no movement on the meter for credit used when I was still able to check that for 2020. I probably shouldn't be worried but I don't think I can bring myself to do this for 2021 until I see 2020 credits post.

Gold:

December 27 - Changed airline incidental benefit from Delta to United via secure message
December 27 - Purchased $100 at United TravelBank

Schwab Platinum:
December 27 - Selected United for my airline incidental benefit for the year
December 27 - Purchased $200 at United TravelBank

If you do not get the credit, it might be due to the fact that you changed the airline and made the purchases on the same day. Did you wait for several hours in between or you made the purchases as soon as you got off the phone with Amex agent.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 5:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Just made a $100 travelbank purchase. Will report back.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:03 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by geoff325
yep Jan 1st = travel bank across the board. I did see reports of working for BoA Premium Rewards. I just found out and did last night, I doubt will credit to 2020 but oh well will just use the 2021 credit.
working for BoA Premium Rewards - sorry to ask - what does that mean for Amex travel? Are you splitting purchases?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by eknock007
I am one that will buy more TB as soon as the credits become available on January 1st. As more people switch their airline to United from Delta and other airlines to take avantage of the TB loophole, I see AMEX clamping down and closing this loophole without notice. Kinda what happen earlier this year with Delta GC's. I wouldn't wait around for the 3 or 5 percent promos knowing how AMEX will eventually catch up to things.
I agree. It's best to always get your Amex airline credits out of the way ASAP, on January 1 if possible. One time I was planning on using at least some of the credit in a "legitimate" way (for purchasing WiFi onboard) and then I planned to use the gift registry to "fill in" the rest of my annual credit, however much I needed. And then UA shut down the gift registry for "maintenance" and never brought it back, until now. Fortunately, I had a legitimate change fee to pay that ate up the credit that year, but ever since that incident, I don't ever wait. The rug can be pulled out at any time so it's best to just use it on New Year's Day.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:22 pm

Can the purchase be made in one transaction for $250 (aspire card) or does it have a limit of $100 or $50 per transaction?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HH DM; National Exec
DP

29/12 Changed to United and purchased $250 TB credits on Aspire card

29/12 Purchase pending

31/12 Changed to confirmed purchase with posting date of 29/12

01/01 credit posted with posting date of 31/12

looks like the transaction processing gods have been kind. Will sacrifice some miles to charity (and get expiration date extended...)
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:01 pm

How do I add money or buy credits using TravelBank?

I looked at my account and see a balance of $0 in Travelbank but no option anywhere on United.com to buy additional funds for Travelbank...

Thanks!

edit: Nevermind, i think i found it.

Last edited by HawaiiO; Jan 1, 2021 at 8:42 pm
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by zxrst
If you do not get the credit, it might be due to the fact that you changed the airline and made the purchases on the same day. Did you wait for several hours in between or you made the purchases as soon as you got off the phone with Amex agent.
I made the purchases pretty much right after I confirmed that United showed up for the airline incidental credit benefit on both cards. Have you heard of DPs where people didn't get the credit if they waited less than hours/days after selecting the benefit? I wasn't aware that was a risk

Last edited by findthebest; Jan 1, 2021 at 10:34 pm Reason: missing quote
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by findthebest
I made the purchases pretty much right after I confirmed that United showed up for the airline incidental credit benefit on both cards. Have you heard of DPs where people didn't get the credit if they waited less than hours/days after selecting the benefit? I wasn't aware that was a risk
Yes, best to give it 24 hrs to be safe. I had the same thing happen to me using southwest a few years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.