Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 21, 21, 8:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: friedablass
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 20, 12:46 pm

Can I use amex platinum $200 credit towards spouses United travel bank loading ? Or should United travel bank account name match amex platinum card holder name ?
Old Dec 22, 20, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by sangu View Post
Can I use amex platinum $200 credit towards spouses United travel bank loading ? Or should United travel bank account name match amex platinum card holder name ?
Doesn't matter. You can charge it to your card.
Old Dec 22, 20, 9:27 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by ChristopherWalken View Post
Another update, I received 2x $50 credits to my account this morning from the 2x $50 travelbank purchases on 12/19.

Still haven't received credit for the 1x $100 travelbank purchase on 12/12.

Maybe it's safer to buy in $50 increments? Who knows.
i bought 1 $100 travel bank on 12/18, credit promptly posted on 12/21.
ChristopherWalken likes this.
Old Dec 22, 20, 9:50 pm

DP: I bought $250 TravelBank on 12/19 and it posted on 12/22
Old Dec 22, 20, 11:33 pm

Aspire:

United selected Dec 13

250 travel bank purchased December 13. No meter movement, no statement credit

50 purchased December 20, meter moved by 50 December 22, expect credit December 23 or so

Guessing some of us ran into issues on December 12/13
ReginaPhalange likes this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
Aspire:

United selected Dec 13

250 travel bank purchased December 13. No meter movement, no statement credit

50 purchased December 20, meter moved by 50 December 22, expect credit December 23 or so

Guessing some of us ran into issues on December 12/13
Maybe the system didn't update that we had chosen our airlines (even though I received a confirmation email before my 1x $100 purchase on 12/12 that UA was now my airline).

As we get closer to the end of the year, we will have to decide if we want to risk buying additional travelbank funds (since it appears to be working now), or just sit around and hope we get those credits from that 12/12 12/13 weekend.

Obviously we don't want to call Amex and ask them what's going on
Old Dec 23, 20, 9:43 am

I'm writing off that initial 250 and just getting more. If it doesn't post automatically I doubt it's going to post ever
Statman and ReginaPhalange like this.
Old Dec 23, 20, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
Set Aspire as United on Dec 13, made $250 purchase on travel bank. Didn't notice when it posted, but meter has not moved as of Dec 18.
Did you upgrade to the Aspire the day before like many people did on Dec 12?
Old Dec 23, 20, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by brc01 View Post
Did you upgrade to the Aspire the day before like many people did on Dec 12?
Yes, from a regular Hilton card that's never been an Aspire before, although I think I upgraded a few days before the 12th. Couldn't select United until upgrade was in effect and airline credit selection appeared on the benefits screen on Dec 13
Old Dec 23, 20, 3:21 pm

DPs for Gold and personal Platinum:
12/18: Switched from WN to UA via Chat
12/20: Bought $100 Travel Bank (twice on Plat, once on Gold)
12/22: Meter updated to show credits used
12/23: All credits posted

Thanks to all and happy holidays.
Old Dec 23, 20, 8:45 pm
kyh

Thumbs up

DP for Gold:
12/20: Bought $100 Travel Bank (1 x $100 Transaction) (Transaction will show as" UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETING ")
12/22: Meter updated to show credits used
12/23: All credits posted (Transaction will be updated to show as " UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX ")
Old Dec 24, 20, 8:58 am

Many thanks to everyone who provided recent DPs on this, which helped me to pull the trigger. Here's my DP (so far) for Platinum:
  • 12/23: Switched airline to UA on AMEX via chat. I had already used a small amount of the credit for this year, and the auto-responses on the chat said I could not change airlines for this reason - but when I got a live representative, he said he would do a one-time courtesy change. Super easy!
  • 12/24: Made two $100 TravelBank travel cash purchases in two transactions. Currently shows as two "United Electronic Ticketng" pending items on AMEX.
Will report back after finding out what happens next. Thanks again!
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:25 pm

How long are the Travel Bank funds good for? When do you have to use them by? Expiration?
Old Dec 24, 20, 12:37 pm

How likely do you guys think United travelfund cash credits will get clawed back in the next few years? It seems like from Delta's clawback that it could be a very likely possibility.
Old Dec 24, 20, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jshay313 View Post
How likely do you guys think United travelfund cash credits will get clawed back in the next few years? It seems like from Delta's clawback that it could be a very likely possibility.
Clawbacks are always a concern with AMEX, and the DL scenario is pretty similar. The "gaming" element is particularly evident here, not that I'm criticizing anyone - the airline credits are unusually difficult to use this year and it's not like AMEX has reduced annual fees or interest interest rates.

Search this Thread