Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Old Dec 19, 2020, 12:37 pm

Just wanted to keep people updated about this but I did get the credit!

12/16 Bought two travel bank $100 purchases but realized I forgot to select United as my airline. First purchase at 7:58PM and second at 7:59PM, then at 8:01PM I selected United as my airline according to my emails.

12/18 Saw the post "Credit-Will appear as a credit on your Dec 22 statement as AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement"

Appreciate everyone who responded.
bgw210 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 2:52 pm

I'm trying to purchase an Air Canada flight THROUGH UNITED, but it doesn't seem to allow me to use my travelbank credit, anyone have experience with this or know a way to go around it.

Seems like I can use my travelbank credit if I pick true United flights .
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by twt07
I'm trying to purchase an Air Canada flight THROUGH UNITED, but it doesn't seem to allow me to use my travelbank credit, anyone have experience with this or know a way to go around it.

It's only valid on flights operated by UA. I wonder if you could book and then do a change to the AC operated flight?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by twt07

In the terms and conditions it states:
27. TravelBank cash is valid for air travel purchases on United and United Express® flights and as otherwise permitted by United. After a TravelBank Award is issued, a service charge may be imposed for each change or cancellation requested by the Member.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:23 pm

Just ordered $100 and it shows on my statement as "UNITED ELECTRONIC TICKETING" rather than "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" like it seems most have experienced. This is on a desktop using Chrome, anyone had a similar experience?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheBigMan
....anyone had a similar experience?
Welcome to Flyertalk. Scroll back to post 562 and read forward.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. Scroll back to post 562 and read forward.
Thanks for the guidance, for anyone also wondering - should change to "UNITED AIRLINES HOUSTON TX" once its posted.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Set Aspire as United on Dec 13, made $250 purchase on travel bank. Didn't notice when it posted, but meter has not moved as of Dec 18.
Still no movement on meter, assume it's a no go. Might try 50 later since there's subsequent successes with that
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:29 am

Successful Data Point

Another successful data point:

11/29/20 - Selected United for Aspire card

12/13/20 - Charged $250 to Travel Bank

12/16/20 - Received $250 credit
Old Dec 20, 2020, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by crimsona
Still no movement on meter, assume it's a no go. Might try 50 later since there's subsequent successes with that
The meter doesn't matter. What matters is a statement credit showing in your account.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The meter doesn't matter. What matters is a statement credit showing in your account.
In all my years the meter has always moved before the statement credit. No movement on meter and no statement credit. Bought a new 50 to try again
​​​​
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:11 pm

Please update us. I want to decide between UA travel bank and SW ticket cancelling strategy for airline credit reimbursement.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
Indeed. My Platinum Card membership predated the $200 (back to the old day of AC, PC access). I have never used the meter once. In fact, I am not even aware of its existence.

The meter is good if you do various non-travel bank stuffs. But travel bank only? Who cares.

Originally Posted by sabya31
I want to decide between UA travel bank and SW ticket cancelling strategy for airline credit reimbursement.
They are comparable. Keep in mind - WN does not fly long-haul international. Bottom line - it all depends on you instead of the program.
sabya31 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott & SPG Platinum, Hertz Platinum, Avis PC, Sixt Diamond
Exclamation

Tried to purchase TravelBank credit but on the payment page there's no button to continue the purchase after selecting amount and saved credit card. Does anyone have the same issue?
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by EWEWR
Tried to purchase TravelBank credit but on the payment page there's no button to continue the purchase after selecting amount and saved credit card. Does anyone have the same issue?
Don't know if it is a UA issue or not. But try another browser perhaps?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.