Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: MR
when people say they purchased 2x $100 on the same day, are they doing 2 separate transactions of $100 or is there a way to add 2 $100 in the cart and checkout together? i cant do the latter.

also i read that people were having issues with doing a 2nd transaction somewhere above, in that case how is the 1st option handled?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:40 am

Amex Plat Personal
Signed up for UA as benefit airline today
Made purchase about 30 min later
Bought $250 wallet funds
Will report back if/when it posts, but glad to see multiple reports already of getting the $200 credit in one go. Buying a flight to Japan for the end of next year, looking forward to $200 off (or $400 if I can get next year's credit towards the flight somehow)

Edit: Benefit meter moved 12/15 and credit appeared (but is dated 12/14 for some reason)

Last edited by Anki; Dec 16, 2020 at 7:01 am Reason: Updated post
Old Dec 11, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Anki
Amex Plat Personal
Signed up for UA as benefit airline today
Made purchase about 30 min later
Bought $250 wallet funds
Will report back if/when it posts, but glad to see multiple reports already of getting the $200 credit in one go. Buying a flight to Japan for the end of next year, looking forward to $200 off (or $400 if I can get next year's credit towards the flight somehow)
you can! January 1st another $200 can be added
Anki likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:44 pm

Can I just directly add full $250 in a single transaction for Aspire credit? Or do I need to break it down into multiple $100 transactions? I'm wondering if there is any transaction limit or something similar to what we have for DL or WN airlines. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vgtest1980
Can I just directly add full $250 in a single transaction for Aspire credit? Or do I need to break it down into multiple $100 transactions? I'm wondering if there is any transaction limit or something similar to what we have for DL or WN airlines. Thanks!
You can do a full $250 transaction with the Aspire Card. People who don't have the Aspire Card but have other Amex cards are making the $100 transactions because they get a $200 credit, not the $250 credit of the Aspire Card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:43 pm

12/04 Switched airline to UA via chat and purchased $100 on the gold card
12/07 Transaction posted
12/11 Meter hasn't moved and no reimbursement so far

Might have a period where it wouldn't trigger after just changing airlines. Waiting another week before attempting again.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Solso
12/07 Transaction posted

Might have a period where it wouldn't trigger after just changing airlines. Waiting another week before attempting again.
how long did you wait after changing the airline? Did you receive an email about the change confirmation?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by vgtest1980
how long did you wait after changing the airline? Did you receive an email about the change confirmation?
Ordered about 6 minutes after the airline email confirmation from Amex.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:53 am

12/07 Transaction posted

Same dates with me but for $250 on plat, I also noticed it posted as 5x points, don't know if that is usually what happens or not.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by translucent16
Same dates with me but for $250 on plat, I also noticed it posted as 5x points, don't know if that is usually what happens or not.
My charge posted, but the airline meter didn't move at all.

Crossing fingers that something will happen by next week!
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: hilton honors
Originally Posted by lsquare
My charge posted, but the airline meter didn't move at all.

Crossing fingers that something will happen by next week!
Takes a few days sometimes.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:35 am

12/07 Chatted with Amex and changed airline to UA on both Gold and Platinum
12/07 After getting email notice of the change ~1min later I made the purchase on both cards
12/09 Transaction posted but bar didn't move
12/12 Meter on both cards moved saying I used the credit but no reimbursement yet

Last edited by Dream_; Dec 12, 2020 at 11:52 am
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Dream_
12/07 Chatted with Amex and changed airline to UA on both Gold and Platinum
12/07 After getting email notice of the change ~1min later I made the purchase on both cards
12/09 Transaction posted but bar didn't move
12/10 Meter on both cards moved saying I used the credit but no reimbursement yet
Beginning to think its hit and miss. Neither cards for me triggered the meter when I did it on two days apart
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:54 am

Beginning to think its hit and miss. Neither cards for me triggered the meter when I did it on two days apart
I just edited my post. The meter moved this morning not the 10th. For some people meter didn't move but still triggered the credit.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

Can someone please help me understand how I can puchase the travelbank for United airlines? Thanks. When I go to my UA account, I'm unable to find any link to purchase travel bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.