Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. The United gift registry has been discontinued. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award TicketsDoesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade FeesAs of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 10, 20, 9:47 am

Looked through but couldn't find anything...

Has anyone had success getting inexpensive flights to trigger the credit? Like, $49 one way, etc?
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ttlax View Post
Looked through but couldn't find anything...

Has anyone had success getting inexpensive flights to trigger the credit? Like, $49 one way, etc?
No
Old Mar 11, 20, 6:54 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton
I purchased a round trip ticket from SFO to LAS on 3/28 using my CSR. A few days later I purchased an economy plus seat using my Aspire card planning to use the airline credit. It triggered the credit a few days later.

Last night I was looking at the flights and noticed the prices dropped by over half. After seeing something saying no change fees because of the coronavirus I canceled the flights and rebooked using the credited fare.... unfortunately when trying to rebook using the credited fare it would only give me options for $200 each way for economy or first class, so I upgraded to first both ways. When checking out I was given and electronic travel certificate for the remaining balance and charged a change fee of $200 which I charged to my Aspire card.

This morning I called in asking to have the economy plus seat refunded since I changed my flight. They refunded back to my CSR, not my Aspire card. I also asked about having the change fee waived which they did. Here's the kicker, the agent was going to refund it to my CSR instead of my Aspire card. I chose to have it refunded to my Aspire though so I could use the credit for future flights planned.
Old Mar 20, 20, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Anyone know if mileage redeposit fees count toward this credit?
Old Mar 21, 20, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Anyone know if mileage redeposit fees count toward this credit?
If it wouldn't post automatically for me, I would chat or call and say it was a ticket cancellation fee (without mentioning anything about it being an award). In these times I don't think they will question further.

On a side note, United should be waiving the redeposit fee right now.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
If it wouldn't post automatically for me, I would chat or call and say it was a ticket cancellation fee (without mentioning anything about it being an award). In these times I don't think they will question further.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

On a side note, United should be waiving the redeposit fee right now.
I agree, they should be. But they absolutely are not.

Edit- I called a second time, this time I was ready to pay the fee but I got lucky and they just went ahead with a free redeposit of the miles. So we wont find out from me if Amex would have refunded any fee.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Mar 21, 20 at 11:01 pm
Old Mar 23, 20, 12:22 pm

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I agree, they should be. But they absolutely are not.

Edit- I called a second time, this time I was ready to pay the fee but I got lucky and they just went ahead with a free redeposit of the miles. So we wont find out from me if Amex would have refunded any fee.
I just came back here to say that I've read data points over the past 2 days where people said they did not have to pay to have miles redeposited even when done online. I'm glad you got yours free as well, which is the way it should be.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm very confused, and hope someone can help me.

Chose UA for the Amex Aspire airline credit. Back in January, bought upgraded seats. Got the credit.

UA has now drastically changed their flight schedule, and I'm on totally different times/aircraft/flight numbers - all changed.

I read on the UA website that is you bought upgraded seats, they do not carry over to the new reservation. That you must cancel and rebook them.

This is where I get confused.

How do you just cancel the upgraded seats and not the whole ticket? (we still want to go with the new times)

If there is a way to do that, and since Amex has already given me the credit for them, what happens? Will they claw back the credit, will I now have that money available to buy seats on the new flights, or what?
Old Mar 25, 20, 5:46 pm

Really, no one has ever had a UA ticket changed on them that voided out their purchase of upgraded seats? I'm really not sure what my options are. Even though it's more than likely we will have to cancel completely, in case we don't...I don't want to cancel and rebook because the fares are much higher, but as the upgraded seat and ensuing credit have zeroed out my Amex Aspire benefit, I will be getting NO value from that benefit.
Old Mar 25, 20, 9:53 pm

According to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy-plus.html
Will my Economy Plus purchase be refunded if I cancel my trip?Yes. In the event of a ticket refund or cancellation, Economy Plus purchases will be automatically refunded.
I also had a UA ticket purchased in Feb (with a different card) and E+ upgrade credited, that was cancelled (for travel credit) on Sunday. I have been checking my AmEx account daily to see if it shows up on my statement or if my annual credit (on the benefits page) changes back to the full $250. So far, nothing has shown up. I'll report back when something happens.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by klew97 View Post
According to https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...nomy-plus.html

I also had a UA ticket purchased in Feb (with a different card) and E+ upgrade credited, that was cancelled (for travel credit) on Sunday. I have been checking my AmEx account daily to see if it shows up on my statement or if my annual credit (on the benefits page) changes back to the full $250. So far, nothing has shown up. I'll report back when something happens.

Your annual credit may go back to the full $250 ONLY if and when Amex reverses the credit originally given for your E+ upgrade. This is not immediate and I've seen it take weeks or even months after the charges are refunded for their system to flag it and reverse the credits. I'm not sure if you can call them and ask to have it reversed manually and ask them to reset to your full $250 benefit but you can certainly try.
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:28 pm

Your annual credit may go back to the full $250 ONLY if and when Amex reverses the credit originally given for your E+ upgrade. This is not immediate and I've seen it take weeks or even months after the charges are refunded for their system to flag it and reverse the credits. I'm not sure if you can call them and ask to have it reversed manually and ask them to reset to your full $250 benefit but you can certainly try.
But how do you get the charges just for the E+ refunded without cancelling the whole ticket? That's my problem - they changed my flights, but I'm ok with the new times, but the E+ does not transfer over.
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
But how do you get the charges just for the E+ refunded without cancelling the whole ticket? That's my problem - they changed my flights, but I'm ok with the new times, but the E+ does not transfer over.
Have you called them and specifically asked?
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:38 pm

Have you called them and specifically asked?
I'm thinking calling Amex might be a better avenue than holding for 2+ hours with UA. I was just looking for DPs here before deciding what to do.
Old Mar 26, 20, 5:52 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
Really, no one has ever had a UA ticket changed on them that voided out their purchase of upgraded seats?
I think you are likely to find more UA flyers if you search for an answer in the Flyertalk United Airlines forum, rather than here in the American Express forum.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: