Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 24, 20, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

The United Gift Registry had been closed, but beginning SEP 2020, United brought back Gift Registry. Start from this link: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash .Gift Registry purchases are described as Special Service Tickets.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391 Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 2, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
In an attempt to prevent future clawbacks, which I wouldn't be surprised amex did due to recent actions on their part, is it possible instead of refunding pet fees to the credit card, to refund them to a UA travel certificate? Or would the whole reservation+pet fee have to be refunded to the cert?
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:17 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post

If you like exit row seats, be aware that once refunded by UA the pet fee may remain on your reservation in some fashion thus precluding you from choosing exit row seats on-line. For that reason, I usually ask for exit row seats during the same conversation in which I cancel the pet fee, UA phone reps have been happy to assist.
One other note regarding UA pet fee credit. As quoted above, even after being refunded by UA, the pet fee in some manner stays on the reservation thus not allowing one to select exit row seating on-line. For those applicable, it may also preclude the “Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested” display on the reservation and presumably being on the CPU list. Another call to have an agent do whatever they do to (additionally/fully/entirely/totally/completely/absolutely) remove the pet fee and get “Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested” to display.
Old Feb 5, 20, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by gr2020 View Post
Has anyone had a E+ subscription trigger the credit yet in 2020? All the data points I saw were from subscriptions purchased in 2019. Hoping to find out if it still works...
2/3 - purchased one-user, domestic-only E+ subscription for $599
2/5 - transaction posted, shown as "Preferred Seat Upgrade"

Meter not yet moved, credit not yet applied, but I'm optimistic.
Old Feb 6, 20, 11:29 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (HT BD), Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Delta, BA, Alaska
… be aware that once refunded by UA the pet fee may remain on your reservation in some fashion thus precluding you from choosing exit row seats on-line....
… For those applicable, it may also preclude the “Complimentary Premier Upgrade Requested” display on the reservation and presumably being on the CPU list...
One more aggravation: Pet Fee (even after cancellation and refund) will preclude receiving the Check-In reminder email 24 hours prior to flight, because on-line check-in is not allowable with a pet. Gotta love this technology . I wonder what else, that we are unaware of, is affected .

Thus, repercussions of using pet fee credit on UA (which I've experienced):

- Cannot select exit row seats.

- Will not be eligible for CPU.

- No Check-In reminder email 24 hours prior to flight.

Requires specifically asking a phone agent to correct each of the 3 issues. Unfortunately for me, that ended up being 3 different phone calls, next time I’ll try to remember to do it all in one call. Problem is, it will be a year from now and by then I’ll probably forget all this , or they will have eliminated the method .
Old Feb 9, 20, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by gr2020 View Post
Has anyone had a E+ subscription trigger the credit yet in 2020? All the data points I saw were from subscriptions purchased in 2019. Hoping to find out if it still works...
Can now confirm an Economy+ subscription triggered the credit.

2/3 - purchased one-user, domestic-only E+ subscription for $599
2/5 - transaction posted, shown as "Preferred Seat Upgrade"
2/8 - meter moved
2/9 - credit applied for $200

It’s also still showing as 5x MR points, which is nice...
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:18 pm

Does anyone know if I purchase an "opt-out" of basic economy if this fee will be reimbursed?
I have a basic economy ticket, transatlantic, and United is asking 100$ to opt out of basic economy and make the ticket an economy normal ticket. Any help much appreciated
Old Feb 10, 20, 10:40 pm

Regarding Pet Fee Reimbursement

Just to be clear:
1. Book fully refundable flight months out with different CC than CC used for pet fee.
2. Book pet fee with CC to be reimbursed.
3. Wait a few days after pet fee credit posts, then cancel flight and pet fee. (Separately, or all in one phone call?)
4. Hope it doesn't get clawed back.

Dance a little jig if it works. (re: The Last Boy Scout)

Does this sound about right? (aside from the jig)
Old Feb 11, 20, 3:27 pm

I'm confused about about getting credit for onboard wifi. The initial post says this:

Eligible incidental fees include
  • . . .
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • . . .
  • Onboard WIFI
So, will I be reimbursed if I purchase wifi on board a United flight?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 20, 4:27 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigB451 View Post
  • Onboard WIFI
Welcome to Flyertalk. This benefit has existed since ~2011, and some things have changed. In the beginning all eligible airlines contracted with GoGo for in-flight internet, and those charges were not reimbursed because GoGo is not an airline. Now the market is more diverse. If UA bills the transaction it may be reimbursed, but not if a third party bills it.
Old Feb 12, 20, 1:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Hi, this might already be captured but recently I had to purchase a United farelock (for7 days) for a flight as my plans were not finalized. I noticed that it got reimbursed. Not that a fare lock is a great way to use the credit but if you need to purchase fare lock anyway for some reason, its good to know that it will get reimbursed. Maybe this should be added to the wiki
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by royal757 View Post
Does anyone know if I purchase an "opt-out" of basic economy if this fee will be reimbursed?
I have a basic economy ticket, transatlantic, and United is asking 100$ to opt out of basic economy and make the ticket an economy normal ticket. Any help much appreciated
No -- this "opt-out" is just an upsell to a higher fare class, not a separate fee. It'll post as a single ticket charge.
Old Feb 14, 20, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by lodit View Post
Regarding Pet Fee Reimbursement

Just to be clear:
1. Book fully refundable flight months out with different CC than CC used for pet fee.
2. Book pet fee with CC to be reimbursed.
3. Wait a few days after pet fee credit posts, then cancel flight and pet fee. (Separately, or all in one phone call?)
4. Hope it doesn't get clawed back.

Dance a little jig if it works. (re: The Last Boy Scout)

Does this sound about right? (aside from the jig)
Anyone?
Old Feb 18, 20, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Long Long Chi View Post
I’ve just cancelled two award tickets and paid 2x$125 redeposit fee on my Aspire due to coronavirus. Still showing pending on my Amex app. Will update DP later.
Update:
award ticket cancellation redeposit fee does not trigger airline credit automatically. I chatted with the rep and had to wait 2 weeks for the rep to manually credit the fees back to the account.

1/25 cancelled and paid the fee on my aspire,
2/1 chatted on Amex app and was told to wait 2-4 weeks.
2/14 chatted on Amex app and was told it will be credited in a few days.
2/17 credit posted on app.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:18 pm

Anyone have any data on if this credit counts towards buying a United lounge pass for a day?
Old Feb 19, 20, 2:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by CountZero View Post
....United lounge pass for a day?
Yes, provided you buy it directly from UA, and not second-hand on eBay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: