Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 24, 20, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

The United Gift Registry had been closed, but beginning SEP 2020, United brought back Gift Registry. Start from this link: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash .Gift Registry purchases are described as Special Service Tickets.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391 Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 20, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by moops380 View Post
Worked for me 2x in the past week. United is very lenient on pet things these days...
does the pet fee refunded to Amex card or lump sum refunded to other card ?
Old Jan 23, 20, 9:58 pm

Safe to assume an upgrade to Premium Plus won’t get reimbursed?
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski View Post
I’ve only done UA pet fee for reservations which I plan to fly (vice cancelling). My UA profile has several credit cards, I use one (UA Explorer, Sapphire) to pay for the ticket and after ticketing use another (AmEx Plat, AmEx Hilton Aspire) for 2 pet fees ($125 each direction). Airline fee credits usually post 2-3 days after the pet fees post. Sometime thereafter I cancel the pet fee which gets credited back to the card used to pay for the pet fee. AmEx has never clawed back the airline fee credit (although I would not be surprised if they did).

Your profile arshi007 states “UA Platinum”. Presumably you fly a bit on UA, if you’re going to do the pet fee thing, you should do it for a reservation you intend to fly. If you like exit row seats, be aware that once refunded by UA the pet fee may remain on your reservation in some fashion thus precluding you from choosing exit row seats on-line. For that reason, I usually ask for exit row seats during the same conversation in which I cancel the pet fee, UA phone reps have been happy to assist.
Thanks for the advice. That is very helpful.
Old Jan 24, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Looks like there is still no data on cancel/mile redeposit fee?

With only a week left to change my selected airline I'm getting a bit down to the wire on this. Maybe I'll just go ahead and try and see what happens so there will be a data point. I guess if it doesn't work, I can just buy club passes.
Old Jan 24, 20, 4:34 pm

Is there a general consensus on how long after the credit posts to then cancel the flights and pet fees?
Old Jan 25, 20, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by lkar View Post

With only a week left to change my selected airline I'm getting a bit down to the wire on this. Maybe I'll just go ahead and try and see what happens so there will be a data point. I guess if it doesn't work, I can just buy club passes.
I’ve just cancelled two award tickets and paid 2x$125 redeposit fee on my Aspire due to coronavirus. Still showing pending on my Amex app. Will update DP later.
lkar likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
Safe to assume an upgrade to Premium Plus won’t get reimbursed?
No data points on this?
Old Jan 27, 20, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 View Post
No data points on this?
Assuming that Premium Plus means the new international configuration "true" Premium Economy class at UA (not to be confused with Economy Plus which is extra legroom seats with regular Economy class), isn't it on mighty few planes so far? If so, it could be some time before datapoints.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Assuming that Premium Plus means the new international configuration "true" Premium Economy class at UA (not to be confused with Economy Plus which is extra legroom seats with regular Economy class), isn't it on mighty few planes so far? If so, it could be some time before datapoints.
This would be for an EWR-SFO leg. My parents are going to upgrade their flight and I'm just looking for the easiest way to bag $300 in 2020 credit (plat + gold). Given that this is an "upgrade" I'm guessing the odds are no it won't reimburse. So I'm leaning towards just sticking with Southwest and buying 3 $100 tickets and banking them until I have some use for them later this year.
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by rccsd View Post
Is there a general consensus on how long after the credit posts to then cancel the flights and pet fees?
I've cancelled flights the week after reimbursement for the past 2 years with no issues
Old Jan 28, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lkar View Post

This should be reimbursable. I look forward to your report.
Old Jan 28, 20, 1:03 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan View Post
This should be reimbursable. I look forward to your report.
I went ahead and did a delta seat upgrade instead! Sorry.
Old Jan 28, 20, 8:24 pm

July 2019 we upgraded 5 tickets (Rome - WAS DC) from economy to economy plus and it triggered the credit.

Sorry - I meant to respond to someone's post and I can't delete this message.

Last edited by conshek; Jan 28, 20 at 8:31 pm
Old Jan 30, 20, 10:18 pm

Dp

DP: tried the pet trick today. (1/30/2020)
Booked ticket using CIP, and pet on Aspire. It showed as: United Elec Ticketing

Will report back later
Old Jan 31, 20, 9:03 pm

Has anyone had a E+ subscription trigger the credit yet in 2020? All the data points I saw were from subscriptions purchased in 2019. Hoping to find out if it still works...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: