Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 24, 20, 2:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

The United Gift Registry had been closed, but beginning SEP 2020, United brought back Gift Registry. Start from this link: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash .Gift Registry purchases are described as Special Service Tickets.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391 Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 20, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Do you see any reports that lead you to believe that this would work? The rules exclude airfare from reimbursement. The only time airfare is reimbursed is if the American Express system mistakes a ticket purchase for a fee.
Was just wondering.

I have booked coach awards for three of us to Asia. I booked business class award for three of us for the return flight. I paid the taxes and fees with Aspire hoping they will get credited but didn't.

How can I take advantage of the airline credit in my situation? I get free checked bags so no need to pay. Buy wifi in flight with Aspire?
Old Jan 12, 20, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab View Post
Buy wifi in flight with Aspire?
Only if it's billed to the airline. Not if it's billed to a third-party WiFi service, such as GoGo Inflight.
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sherab Sherab View Post
No credit if I book flight on United that is paid in full by Aspire?
Not likely, because they don't give credit for actual flights, only for "incidentals" and they probably won't get any information that you purchased an "incidental" at the same time as the flight itself.

So why risk it? Book the flight, and then a day or two later, book the seat selection separately? What's the problem with that???

You already said had a problem with one thing not getting credited. Why do you not want to follow the safest procedures for getting things credited???
Old Jan 12, 20, 8:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott, Hilton Diamond, National
Are premium drinks purchased in the United Club reimbursed? (I know for AA, they are charged as "Admirals Club" and get reimbursed.)
Old Jan 13, 20, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2 View Post
Are premium drinks purchased in the United Club reimbursed? (I know for AA, they are charged as "Admirals Club" and get reimbursed.)
Not in my experience, including last week with a charge at EWR.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:48 am

Booked an international award ticket and used Amex personal Plat to pay the $34 ticketing fee/tax. Charge posted as "United Airlines Houston TX" and was reimbursed(!) 3 days afterward. Did not expect this at all, so a pleasant surprise in January.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:25 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by bearchemist View Post
.... Charge posted as "United Airlines Houston TX" ....
If it had not posted as United Airlines it would not be eligible for reimbursement. You need to expand the transaction description to see additional coding which American Express also uses to determine eligibility.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
If it had not posted as United Airlines it would not be eligible for reimbursement. You need to expand the transaction description to see additional coding which American Express also uses to determine eligibility.
Very true... it shows as "Flight on Jan XX" with my name (passenger) and ticket number. At no place was it indicated as airline fee.
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:40 pm

Limit to E+ cost

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Purchased a $90ish Economy Plus seat in both directions (on an already booked roundtrip) midweek, both got billed separately, and both got reimbursed a few days later, showing up as reimbursed on my HH Aspire card this morning.
Sorry, I'm new to the forum but was wondering if anyone has any DP for the limits on which you can get a E+ seat reimbursed. Looking to do purchases for 2 seats on a flight from SFO to LHR and its charging $163 each. I'm hoping that this is eligible. I have the HH Aspire as well and looking to make good use of the credit.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
About 30k of my miles expired shortly before they made changes to the program. I will need to pay around $150 to reinstate all the miles. Does that count towards the Platinum credit?
Old Jan 16, 20, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by hanaiian View Post
Sorry, I'm new to the forum but was wondering if anyone has any DP for the limits on which you can get a E+ seat reimbursed. Looking to do purchases for 2 seats on a flight from SFO to LHR and its charging $163 each. I'm hoping that this is eligible. I have the HH Aspire as well and looking to make good use of the credit.
There should not be any limit on E+ purchases and they are eligible for reimbursement as seat selection purchase regardless of the price.
hanaiian likes this.
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy occasionally Bonvoyed Mostly
Originally Posted by hanaiian View Post
I recently purchased an E+ seat for a family member on an EWR-DEL flight for $219 and it got reimbursed without any issue. Just make sure you purchase the E+ seat in a separate transaction and you should be good.
hanaiian likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:40 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by bearchemist View Post
Booked an international award ticket and used Amex personal Plat to pay the $34 ticketing fee/tax. Charge posted as "United Airlines Houston TX" and was reimbursed(!) 3 days afterward. Did not expect this at all, so a pleasant surprise in January.
Happened to me as well in the past 2 weeks. This happens very inconsistently though. I wonder if it's a glitch related to the annual benefit resetting on Jan 1st.
Old Jan 18, 20, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704 View Post
I have been doing this but I think this is dead now.

I used to book the flight with my CSR, add a pet and pay with my Platinum. When cancelling, it used to say that the whole amount would be refunded to my CSR. My guess is that this issue confused the system so that the pet fee refund never posted to my Platinum allowing enough time for the Amex statement credit to post. When I did this yesterday it said X amount would go into my CSR and Y amount to my Platinum. I think the pet fee will never post.

Will update in a couple days.
Javier1704 How did it go? Any good news?
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ameskay View Post
Javier1704 How did it go? Any good news?
Worked for me 2x in the past week. United is very lenient on pet things these days...
GTITAN and ameskay like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: