Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
the link just takes me to uniteds main page after i sign in
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I could sign in with that link and access the Travelbank as well!
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:44 am

After a few attempts I was able to sign in and make a purchase with that link, but only from an incognito browser. Hope this helps!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Got $200 and $100 credit so glad UA brought this back
Old Aug 19, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wiivile
I am curious to know if there is a minimum waiting period between purchases, or if those who were able to add funds twice were able to do so because one purchase was made during the 10% bonus offer and another purchase could be made after that offer ended...
Were you able to load more cash? I'm now facing the same problem, shows the receipt
Old Aug 21, 2020, 1:07 am

If I understand correctly, I will get $200 back from Amex if I purchase $250 with platinum personal.

I only see DP for $100 on platinum personal
Old Aug 21, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by st0ne
If I understand correctly, I will get $200 back from Amex if I purchase $250 with platinum personal.

I only see DP for $100 on platinum personal
If you still have $200 in UA credit available, yes, you will get $200 back.
Flying Machine and st0ne like this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by cfischer
Got $200 and $100 credit so glad UA brought this back

How were you able to make multiple purchases? It keeps on bringing me to the page that says thank you for your purchase when I'm trying to charge another $100 to the 2nd account. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
How were you able to make multiple purchases? It keeps on bringing me to the page that says thank you for your purchase when I'm trying to charge another $100 to the 2nd account. Thanks.
I used another laptop to do it. If you do not have a second computer, you could try a different browser or cleared out caches/histories etc...
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:39 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by zxrst
I used another laptop to do it. If you do not have a second computer, you could try a different browser or cleared out caches/histories etc...
It has nothing to do with that. I used a private browser and another computer. When I log into my UAL account on the https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash site, it knows I made $100 once already and doesn't let me do it again.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NDN
It has nothing to do with that. I used a private browser and another computer. When I log into my UAL account on the https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash site, it knows I made $100 once already and doesn't let me do it again.
Agree. I pulled the trigger and did another $100 transaction under my wife's account. Better than ending up loosing $ before Amex pulls the plug.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by NDN
I see. Use a different account.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BA
Made a $100 TravelBank purchase on 8/11 that was successfully credited, but couldn't make another because it just showed the previous purchase confirmation screen upon logging in. Tried again every few days, today it let me make another $100 contribution.

Last edited by wiivile; Aug 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Wow, thought Travel Bank was dead but this is good news as I have also have some credit left for 2020. I did a quick Google search, seems Chase has rolled out a Travel Bank Visa Card for Chase so maybe we need to thank them.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Just did this for

Aspire
Amex Plat Personal
Amex Gold

Let's see if it works. will report back later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.