Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day -- BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.

WARNING: Beginning in mid-January 2021 Travel Bank (and its former Gift Registry) purchases are coded as Gift Certificates rather than Special Service Tickets. Travel Bank purchases are no longer reimbursed.

In mid-February 2021 United again changed the processing of Travel Bank deposit transactions. They are coded as Special Service Tickets, and reimbursed by American Express, but no assurance this will continue. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash

Travel bank amounts that you can purchase are $50, $100, $250, or more (see screenshot in this post). There is no $200 amount so Platinum card holders with $200 credit will need to purchase 2 x $100.

If credit is not automatically issued (unlikely based on data points), do not contact Amex customer service as it might lead them to close the loophole.

See also this thread in the United Airliines forum on TravelBank: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...get-bonus.html

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
A general discussion of Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

Discussion continues here: Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by gold644
Has anyone had any recent luck getting AMEX to allow to change the airline? I have AA selected but would like to utilize the credit this year for United.
Shouldn’t be an issue at all, just give Amex a call and it pretty much changes immediately..
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Would appreciate the help: I've looked at my UA account, and can't for the life of me find out how to add funds to the travel bank. Can someone please help me? Thanks!
--------------------------

I found a way: I clicked on the link kindly provided by bocasierra in post 165: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32570327-post165.html

I was able to make only one transaction of $100 to my UA account. After two failures of trying to make an additional transaction to my account, I added $100 to my wife's account.

NB: Made change from different airline to UA via chat, and changed showed up immediately in my account page. Here to hoping credits are properly processed.

Thanks to all those who posted about this opportunity!

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 9, 2020 at 1:48 pm Reason: Success story
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:24 pm

Data point:
AMEX Hilton Aspire
$250 added to travel bank on 6 AUG
$250 reimbursement on 8 AUG
Old Aug 9, 2020, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Has anyone had any recent luck getting AMEX to allow to change the airline? I have AA selected but would like to utilize the credit this year for United.
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Shouldn’t be an issue at all, just give Amex a call and it pretty much changes immediately..
Online chat works for this as well.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 7:29 pm

Funny. I changed my airline a couple weeks ago. Didn’t think I’d be taking UA this year since they’re packing planes now. All 4 of my trips this year were AS..

i would have kept UA on file had I known their 3 year travel bank “under maintenance” project was finally complete.

Last edited by radiolarian; Aug 9, 2020 at 7:36 pm
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
I chatted with a rep today who changed mine from AA to UA and it only took about 5 minutes! After closing the chat session I saw that my Plat and Aspire now reflect UA as my airline.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: BA
Don't really understand how it works that you can apparently only add funds to the TravelBank once? Does the option to contribute just disappear once you add funds? What happens if you go to the same page you were on? Wish there was a $200 option, ha. Don't know if it's possible to merge funds from two separate TravelBanks...
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by wiivile
Don't really understand how it works that you can apparently only add funds to the TravelBank once? Does the option to contribute just disappear once you add funds? What happens if you go to the same page you were on? Wish there was a $200 option, ha. Don't know if it's possible to merge funds from two separate TravelBanks...
I tried to add funds twice. Once you click the link again, and after logging in, it shows you the purchase confirmation of your first transaction. There doesn't seem to be an option to make a second transaction.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
I tried to add funds twice. Once you click the link again, and after logging in, it shows you the purchase confirmation of your first transaction. There doesn't seem to be an option to make a second transaction.
How strange - what's the purpose of a TravelBank you can only add funds to once..? Give me a $200 option or the ability to add $100 twice, lol.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by wiivile
How strange - what's the purpose of a TravelBank you can only add funds to once..? Give me a $200 option or the ability to add $100 twice, lol.
You could always do $250 in one transaction, that’s what I did..
sdsearch likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:47 pm

Hilton Aspire
$250 travel bank purchase Aug 7th
$250 credited Aug 10th

Still waiting for my platinum to get credited. will update after.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But do you know for a fact that you can never add funds a second time, or is it just that you can't quickly add funds a second time (ie, that there's some minimum waiting time perhaps between fund additions)?

Most people probably don't try to add funds multiple times within a short period, so if it's just a time limitation, that limitation might have been there all this time but not obvious until you called attention to it.
mia likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But do you know for a fact that you can never add funds a second time, or is it just that you can't quickly add funds a second time (ie, that there's some minimum waiting time perhaps between fund additions)?
Neither. But rather a more specific conclusion: you can't quickly add funds using the same promo link (posted earlier in this thread).
Old Aug 11, 2020, 5:46 am

Neither. But rather a more specific conclusion: you can't quickly add funds using the same promo link (posted earlier in this thread).
In another thread, it’ stated that when using the 10% bonus you could only add funds once. After the promotion ended people have claimed the ability to add additional funds once again to their travel bank accounts
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 7:59 pm

United gift

Will American Ex Platinum credit a purchase from the United store? I’m considering in purchasing a travel pillow with the credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.